What is a flagship phone to you

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I was asked in a different thread what I considered a flagship phone and before I could answer someone got their drawers in a bunch and complained about it...

So I figured a legitimate question deserves a legitimate answer. I am aware Microsoft has elected to hold off on making a flagship phone for now, but that in itself isn't a reason to not be able to discuss the details of on what we hope to see in it when it if and when they elect to provide one. To answer a question poised to me.. my answer to what I consider a flagship phone is as follows...

Something that uses the latest available chipsets to have in the device the latest battery technology, screen technology, camera technology, radio and WiFi connectivity not to mention the latest socs, newest ram... This is a minimum to me of what a flagship is supposed to bring to the table. There are many other things that a oem could elect to showcase and this is normally what is expected, things like new materials for the case, wireless charging if not done before, new colors, sound enhancements, camera enhancements new os's if available or at least a full blown version of the latest one that people who are carrier restricted may not have available.

I'm quite sure others feel differently than I do, and some are quite content waiting for these things when a new os is due out sometime this year, but I like to have the very latest technology because I know full well that it allows me to not have to worry about if my devices will be capable of upgrading to a new os and will have full functionality when it comes.

Flagship phones are supposed to be the very best of devices, which for myself is what I prefer to use and while WP may not need these things to work, it is something that I like to have and am lucky enough to afford to buy. I know from all my years that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and in smartphones this is no different. I buy the best of what I can afford to and have always subscribed to the notion of doing this.

I also know that many are not so lucky and many don't even care what is the latest and greatest in a phone, and that's okay but to censor people who do because some don't is flat out wrong.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I closed the previous thread because it was going nowhere and you don't seem to want to accept others' points of view. But it's ok for you to force your opinions on others and even create another thread to do so. I'm going to let this thread continue if the posts remain civil so I won't be accused of censoring or having my drawers in a bunch. But know this, one pinky toe outside the lines and you'll see what censuring looks like. Please note the spelling.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP, for me, always buy the best you can afford. I think you nailed what a flagship should be, I also get tired of people justifying meh specs just because the Windows Phone OS runs well on low spec devices. For me, I enter in to a 2yr contract with extreme caution, I need to know that the product is solid now, and will have a decent shelf life. I am aware that after a year, newer processors will have come out that trounce mine, but I hope that happens closer to the end of the contract, as opposed to the beginning.

Today, my 920 ticks most boxes for me, still. The build and the design are still great, the screen is strong beyond my wildest belief, still in pristine condition. The qi is perfect. However, it does not compete on specs with the new kids on the block. The 810 would be a nice switch up, oh and a slightly bigger screen.

Truth is, anything less than the best processor is just a no no. Sadly, I don't think we will see anything above an 810 in the flagship. It is gonna come too early for that.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I closed the previous thread because it was going nowhere and you don't seem to want to accept others' points of view. But it's ok for you to force your opinions on others and even create another thread to do so. I'm going to let this thread continue if the posts remain civil so I won't be accused of censoring or having my drawers in a bunch. But know this, one pinky toe outside the lines and you'll see what censuring looks like. Please note the spelling.

Being able to give ones opinion is not forcing anything on anyone on a public forum as long as no rules were broken. I broke no rules and was denied a chance to respond to what seemed to be a legitimate question that was put forth to me... Not you... People can agree or disagree in a civil manner just as I have on the other thread and if you want to go around threatening people who have followed the rules then this needs to be seen for what it actually is not as what you are trying to imply about me here.

If this threatens my membership here so be it but those who run this site should see why you have chosen to take this track with me and have elected to say what you have on both threads

I just wanted to say one other thing... I access this forum off the Android app and didn't know until your last post that you are a moderator... I normally don't argue with moderators unless I feel that I have been wronged as I do here with what you have said and implied.

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP, for me, always buy the best you can afford. I think you nailed what a flagship should be, I also get tired of people justifying meh specs just because the Windows Phone OS runs well on low spec devices. For me, I enter in to a 2yr contract with extreme caution, I need to know that the product is solid now, and will have a decent shelf life. I am aware that after a year, newer processors will have come out that trounce mine, but I hope that happens closer to the end of the contract, as opposed to the beginning.

Today, my 920 ticks most boxes for me, still. The build and the design are still great, the screen is strong beyond my wildest belief, still in pristine condition. The qi is perfect. However, it does not compete on specs with the new kids on the block. The 810 would be a nice switch up, oh and a slightly bigger screen.

Truth is, anything less than the best processor is just a no no. Sadly, I don't think we will see anything above an 810 in the flagship. It is gonna come too early for that.

You are probably right about the processor but hopefully Microsoft has a few surprises up their sleeves and builds one that the other platforms drool over

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I agree with everything but the processor. Both MS and Apple have proven that you don't need raw horsepower in a phone to have a speedy and enjoyable experience. Specs matter in computers, and while I get the "mobile computer" argument, nothing on phones come anywhere close to needing the specs of an x86 machine.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Being able to give ones opinion is not forcing anything on anyone on a public forum as long as no rules were broken. I broke no rules and was denied a chance to respond to what seemed to be a legitimate question that was put forth to me... Not you... People can agree or disagree in a civil manner just as I have on the other thread and if you want to go around threatening people who have followed the rules then this needs to be seen for what it actually is not as what you are trying to imply about me here.

If this threatens my membership here so be it but those who run this site should see why you have chosen to take this track with me and have elected to say what you have on both threads

I just wanted to say one other thing... I access this forum off the Android app and didn't know until your last post that you are a moderator... I normally don't argue with moderators unless I feel that I have been wronged as I do here with what you have said and implied.

Re-read this and tell me again you've broken no rules.

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Something that uses the latest available chipsets to have in the device the latest battery technology, screen technology, camera technology, radio and WiFi connectivity not to mention the latest socs, newest ram

that is hardware flagship....The Soc is the most important part along side with radio+wifi...As for ram it depends 2 should be a minimum.

Is chipset and Soc not the same??

I like to have the very latest technology because I know full well that it allows me to not have to worry about if my devices will be capable of upgrading to a new os and will have full functionality when it comes.

Yep, agreed when big update comes. Phone need to make sure it will run for more than 2 years without an upgrade for hardware

it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and in smartphones

Agreed big time on this one

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
plot_almighty;3020697[B said:
I agree with everything but the processor[/B]. Both MS and Apple have proven that you don't need raw horsepower in a phone to have a speedy and enjoyable experience. Specs matter in computers, and while I get the "mobile computer" argument, nothing on phones come anywhere close to needing the specs of an x86 machine.

Well processor need to be powerful enough not to have a longue resuming screen..

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well processor need to be powerful enough not to have a longue resuming screen..

That's not a processor thing. That's something they did to WP8.1 that wrecked it.

8.0 had no such issues. But 8.1 does this to all devices, even high end. In fact I'm pretty sure my 1020 lags more than my 520.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yup.. There are different chipsets though that are pretty important to be updated too. The radios, the gpu, gps as well as the onboard ones for video and sound. Newer versions make sure that the phone stays up to whatever is thrown into the mix.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That's not a processor thing. That's something they did to WP8.1 that wrecked it.

8.0 had no such issues. But 8.1 does this to all devices, even high end. In fact I'm pretty sure my 1020 lags more than my 520.

The thing I am interested to is when I use a program, with whatever phone, I want to see the process of that program to be fast..

Actually be just as fast as a computer....I know they can do it

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I want to see differentiation. Samsung is doing it with the screen on the S6 and the stylus on the Note. Their software is crap but at least they are trying.

I want that type of differentiation on WP. Isn't that the point of owning both hardware and software? The camera doesn't cut it anymore, it has to be something more.

Processor and specs are minimum barriers to entry but a true flagship needs differentiation too. The smartphone market is starting to stagnate and an appropriately differentiated flagship could make some waves in the market.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Processor and specs are minimum barriers to entry but a true flagship needs differentiation too. The smartphone market is starting to stagnate and an appropriately differentiated flagship could make some waves in the market.

You mean rectangular slabs with Euro-black motif are pass?? Although the Sharp Aquos is nowhere near flagship, I liked the design and the speaker gimmick. You want different? Try the Passport as I did, it's different alright.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A flagship to me means:
1) Innovative and has something the competition does not
2) Worth the price tag as I always buy sim-unlocked/ sim-free
3) A device that will last me a few years
4) A No compromise device

Edited: As I totally miss answered the question lol.

Previous comment
Like others, top of the line specs are the minimum as if it can not compete with the Android flagships from the various OEMs out of the gate then it will be overlooked and discarded with a resounding "meh".

If they are able to bring a similar pen and inking experience like or better than the surface pro 3 then they would have something special combined with spartan (there is a setting under privacy in the windows 10 phone technical preview that mentions "inking").

In terms of the Camera, improved L1020 sensor with a NDR filter and a dedicated image processing chip (the 808 had both) combined with the SOC it should be able to handle all the information from such a sensor pretty darn well.

However I doubt they will release such a monster flagship, if anything they may have a camera-centric model, a balanced device (20MP) and one geared for notes.

Last edited:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
You mean rectangular slabs with Euro-black motif are pass?? Although the Sharp Aquos is nowhere near flagship, I liked the design and the speaker gimmick. You want different? Try the Passport as I did, it's different alright.

I also liked the aquos, very unique design. It's getting tougher to find something that makes one do a double take.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Flagship - unjustifiably expensive ;)

I have been a flagship follower for years as an apple user, only recently have I stepped away from this. I got my 535 and discovered that it does everything my iPhone did (almost -when wp gets better office!) but better and just as fast.

So for me the average user does not need a flagship, the use does not need the power. It would be like using a army tank to open a can of coke...... For gamers etc I get the need, for me my 535 does the job with no problems at all. May go for a 6xx next time through.....,

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Flagship - unjustifiably expensive ;)

I have been a flagship follower for years as an apple user, only recently have I stepped away from this. I got my 535 and discovered that it does everything my iPhone did (almost -when wp gets better office!) but better and just as fast.

So for me the average user does not need a flagship, the use does not need the power. It would be like using a army tank to open a can of coke...... For gamers etc I get the need, for me my 535 does the job with no problems at all. May go for a 6xx next time through.....,

Sorry to say, Iphones are really not flagships (in comparison to the competition) they are just trendsetters :p.

How are you finding your 535?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb