Nokia launched HERE app for Android and iOS 😵

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly it and I've played around with HERE on Android and TBH the only two things that are different is that all the apps are combined into one and the interface is more like Google Maps but the mapping data is identical.

I could be wrong but I believe there's a few more features on the HERE Android app as well. Like alternate routes and traffic camera notifications.

I also like the combined interface. It makes it more slick.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, it will be a Foxconn produced phone branded under Nokia.

The real Nokia is with Microsoft.

Nokia kept the R&D (well the kept almost everything that has value), so anything they design and give FoxConn to produce, is actually Nokia. Like the tablet they did. Like stated above, with your analogy iPhone's are Apple branded FoxConn device.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia kept the R&D (well the kept almost everything that has value), so anything they design and give FoxConn to produce, is actually Nokia. Like the tablet they did. Like stated above, with your analogy iPhone's are Apple branded FoxConn device.

Cool! You learn something new everyday. I didn't know that, always thought that most of the employees that worked on the "traditional Nokias" moved to Microsoft.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I could be wrong but I believe there's a few more features on the HERE Android app as well. Like alternate routes and traffic camera notifications.

I also like the combined interface. It makes it more slick.

Exactly. Like every other app, even this is great on Android. And they have made it great in first shot. Not like on WP where apps keep on getting updated and still not upto the mark. I too tried it on Moto G2. It feels extremely good. Drive is combined in single app. Not like stupid WP where you need to open Drive when you want voice navigation. Didnt' know you can try alt routes too. Will try that out soon. Now I feel WP even more incomplete.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything left in WP which is not available on competing OS?
I am just wondering when Microsoft will announce that "Windows is heading to Android and iOS."

Yeah, Office Lens, Office Remote, and Foundbite come to mind as great exclusives. Game wise we have Halo.

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Go to here.com and see if you can find where they mention it is available for Windows Phone or Windows 8... hint, you have to click "learn more" under the Android and iOS links, then scroll to the bottom of the page talking about Andriod and iOS, and finally in plain text at the bottom it says "Try HERE on other devices".
That is cold.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Go to here.com and see if you can find where they mention it is available for Windows Phone or Windows 8... hint, you have to click "learn more" under the Android and iOS links, then scroll to the bottom of the page talking about Andriod and iOS, and finally in plain text at the bottom it says "Try HERE on other devices".
That is cold.

Check out the mobile version of the site. Screenshot_2015-03-17-21-54-38.png

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
well when i got a 1520 there were several factors which made me get it over an android or iPhone flagship.
major ones were
1)made by Nokia
2)offline maps comparable to g maps quality which was necessary for me but not available on android or iOS at that time
3)outstanding camera
4)best office suite in a phone
5)best hardware available at that time and all perks like sd card ,glance

these were the major factors which tipped the needle towards a 1520, even though some apps were missing and some annoyance in wp8 like no file manager and all.now maybe next year when i look to get a phone is there anything that will tip the needle towards wp?i don't think so as even microsoft services are better on other platforms.i think that will be the case with most neutral users unless ur a hardcore wp fan no matter what.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
1. Nokia sold their phone division to Microsoft. They now have no reason to be loyal to WP. Why would they *not* release Here maps for iOS and Andriod?

2. I downloaded Here maps for my Moto G a while ago. Can't really see what the fuss is about. In my area (at least) it's not particularly accurate, and it's very heavily focussed on driving, which is not very useful in a city centre. Don't get me wrong - it's OK and it's good to have some competition, but it's hard to get very excited about it.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Have to say, used here on a galaxy s5 (Sammy had the android exclusive) and an iphone 6 plus and the implementation is solid (in the UK, where I used it). Well done Nokia for not resting on their laurels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6