03-30-2015 10:22 AM
62 123
tools
    Mayb we gt a update from Microsoft "we are moving to android and welcome to android"
    Just because Microsoft failed to fix a WP issues doesn't change the fact that Stock Android is absolute horrible.
    03-13-2015 12:38 PM
    Pretty much!
    One has to wonder if Microsoft is making sure ALL of their services are on iOS and Android in case someday Windows on phones ceases to exist. Cortana to iOS and Android is one more check mark.
    It's clear that a Microsoft phone running Cyanogen is coming.
    03-13-2015 02:58 PM
    It's being released on the same day a Chromebook debuts with Win RT.
    spch, someone2639, rhapdog and 4 others like this.
    03-13-2015 03:20 PM
    It's being released on the same day a Chromebook debuts with Win RT.
    Don't they already?

(insert supa hot fire meme here)
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-13-2015 03:54 PM
    Actually it's not impossible. Maybe a bit too far fetched, I would buy it though. Love Cyanogen.
    03-13-2015 04:04 PM
    Sometimes I think people here get so attached to something they can't imagine any other thing being advantageous for them. For decades Microsoft had a single mantra: Windows and Office above all else. When they had to develop a tablet operating system guess what they did? They shrunk Windows, UI and all. When the Courier was in development guess why they scrapped it? No compatibility with Windows. The problem is this hasn't been working out for them. Windows has been fading (heck Windows Phone hasn't even taken off), and if you put all your awesome stuff on a fading platform guess what happens? No one is ever going to see your awesome stuff!

If people haven't bought Windows Phone for 5 years with our combo of live tiles and cortana and great cameras and what-not they're not going to start today. What Microsoft has in an image problem, and getting their products into more people's hands, thus reducing the cost of trying them, is a way of fixing this. It will also allow them to make actual money, in the event that Windows Phone goes down in flames.

Deluding ourselves that one day our platform will catapult into glory because of Cortana and Office is just that: A delusion. I suppose the question is do we want Microsoft to succeed, or Windows Phone?
    03-13-2015 04:41 PM
    how about both^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-13-2015 05:51 PM
    Cortana is Microsoft's product, they can do what they like with it as far as I'm concerned.
    It's a recent addition to WP, and still in beta. I used it for a while, then turned it off as I don't really have a use for it. I look at it more as a 'bling' feature more than anything really useful.

Anyway, WP is way more than just Cortana. Always has, and always will be....
    Eustis99 and snowmutt like this.
    03-13-2015 07:08 PM
    People are jumping the gun here, it has not been officially confirmed it was lightly touched on by an article on Reuters. Furthermore it says "People familiar to the project" ([Project Einstein], it doesn't say "People close to the project", these people could be anybody as there many who follow MSR).

I would understand the panic if it was officially confirmed, however right now it is rather misguided in my opinion.
    Eustis99, Alfa Kapa and snowmutt like this.
    03-13-2015 07:45 PM
    The day Cortana arrives on iOS and Android, I'll leave Windows Phone.
    03-13-2015 08:49 PM
    I don't understand the issue if it is true. If true, Microsoft will get feedback off of their customers using "competitors" devices which can only help in the long run. Not only that but as one person said, WP is not just Cortana. Way more that just that actually. What's the issue?
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    03-13-2015 08:56 PM
    Ok. Great. I'll get an android phone on my next upgrade.... I can have all the apps and my favorite Cortana! And since Microsoft has all their apps available on other platforms i can just give a big f u to windows (like everyone else is) because what's the incentive to stay or get one????
    03-13-2015 09:01 PM
    Ok. Great. I'll get an android phone on my next upgrade.... I can have all the apps and my favorite Cortana! And since Microsoft has all their apps available on other platforms i can just give a big f u to windows (like everyone else is) because what's the incentive to stay or get one????
    It's all a matter of perception I think.

On one hand you can go along with the notion that the next os will fix everything.... Which is exactly what has been said since 6.0 or......

You can be a total pessimist and put the platform behind you and move on

As to what incentive you choose to see is entirely up to your perception of the platform and what you are willing to put up with.

I personally believe there are enough people who can influence the platform at Microsoft that want to rid the company of it's phone division. It's a money pit for the revenue outflow. I believe that these individuals are influencing the decisions to salvage everything they can from it and prioritize getting the best of it on the other platforms.

Microsofts goals is to have everyone using their services and eventually charge for this. If they succeed then they will own mobile and not spend money on a low rate of return on investment.

This may be awesome for shareholders and the company but hoses those who have stuck it out and supported WP.

I believed it would be several years before this happened but see now it's coming sooner

Stick it out on a hope and prayer Windows 10 will turn everything around or go to another platform.. This is up to you.

Posted from my HTC M8
    03-14-2015 12:40 AM
    I had mixed feelings about this until I really thought about it. Google Now and Siri work in far more countries than Cortana so, Microsoft will gain more feedback than just what people are searching for but language and syntax as well. Not only that but WP users will benefit from Project Einstein as I believe that is a backend update.
    03-14-2015 07:49 AM
    Let me say this, I bought an LG android, I know, I love Windows Phone OS, but when Nokia/MS couldn't fix my issue/or send me a different model after sending my phone in 8 times, I was done with them. Had issues with HTC in the past so, wasn't going to go with them either. I had little choice on manufacturers if I wanted to stick with Windows phone...so I went to Android. Yes there are things that I miss, Cortana is the most, Google Now doesn't come close. But, I love on Android, if I start playing my song over bluetooth and I reboot the song, it stays are the same song position and bluetooth volume. WP would restart my playlist and bluetooth would be at 15/30....are they major no, that's not why I left, I wanted a 1520, but some had issues and some didn't so I didn't want to buy one used...I am happy with my LG, but it's not WP and I miss it everytime I use my phone...What I am trying to say, even with Cortana coming to Android and IOS, it still isn't the same OS, nothing can run as fast as WP
    noersetiawan likes this.
    03-14-2015 08:15 AM
    all hail Microsoft !!
    03-14-2015 08:20 AM
    I'd imagine Cortana is integral to some of the other services that Microsoft plans to bring to Windows 10/iOS/Android. My guess is that Microsoft is going for the "seamless user experience" across their apps/services And it's likely easier to port Cortana (which they have control over) versus trying to incorporate Siri or Google Now. I doubt Microsoft is incorporating Cortana in a way that would allow people to completely replace Siri. Besides, Apple would never allow that to happen.
    tgp likes this.
    03-14-2015 09:56 AM
    I'd imagine Cortana is integral to some of the other services that Microsoft plans to bring to Windows 10/iOS/Android. My guess is that Microsoft is going for the "seamless user experience" across their apps/services
    If there is a big draw to Cortana on iOS and/or Android, ^it'll probably be this.^
    HeyCori and neo158 like this.
    03-14-2015 10:28 AM
    The day Cortana arrives on iOS and Android, I'll leave Windows Phone.
    Why, is it because you feel MS betrayed you and you want payback? Is it because Cortana was the one thing that brought you to WP? Did you have WP before Cortana was released?

I'm pissed about the decision too but it will take a lot more for me to leave. I'm trying to understand your (and other's who have made this statement) logic.
    neo158 likes this.
    03-14-2015 10:56 AM
    Well, I guess you can feel better in knowing that cortina will probably remain better integrated on windows phone. iOS and android are not going to allow the same access as cortana has on windows phone.
    03-14-2015 03:02 PM
    It is well known that Microsoft is gathering feedback from a lot of users in the background based on how they use Cortana (in addition to actual typed-in feedback). Releasing Cortana to other platforms could allow Microsoft to gather information on how users use "competitor" smart phones. This should provide MS additional information (and a lot of it!) they would need to further improve their services, which then could be limited only to Windows Phones/Windows Devices. It's literally being able to gather real-time data from "competitor" markets. If true, this sounds like a brilliant move to me.
    03-14-2015 11:52 PM
    I Love Cyanogen.
    doesn't change the fact that Stock Android is absolute horrible.
    Cyanogen IS STOCK ANDROID.

Do you even understand what CyanogenMod is?
    03-15-2015 02:40 AM

Stop being so condescending.

I meant the Vanilla Android, like we get from most OEMs. Cyanogen is great, next up is HTC Sense also MIUI but had bad experience with their hardware.
    03-15-2015 04:24 AM

Actually Cyanogen is AOSP, Stock Android ships with Google services integrated.
    03-15-2015 07:15 AM
    I don't have Cortana here in Romania, on my Lumia 1520, but i witness Microsoft giving it to android and ios...this is not fair. How can they treat their users like this?
    03-15-2015 07:20 AM
62 123