Cortana coming to Android and IOS: Mixed feelings

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Just after reading that Cortana is coming to Android and Ios, have mixed feelings and concerns a loyal Windows user like me. I have a tough time figuring out how much it will affect our platform. There were some features which made windows pone unique like office, bing (msn) apps, Cortana, live tiles etc. But right now all we are left with is live tiles. Sure bringing office to other platforms was smart and they did that by the lure of lucre, and it they did manage to retain a few customers and convert other who relied on Google docs. Msn apps didn?t make much of a dent, and it was okay since it?s just a caboodle of apps. What bothered me the most was that Office apps on Android and Ios were frequently updated and quite ahead of what we have on WP feature wise, that?s what I?ve heard frequently. Since Office is integrated into the Os, entire OS would have to be updated to update the app ?IF? I?m not wrong. They cant give us the excuse that they couldn?t have added it to 8.1.1. But with features shown at the build and what office has to offer in windows 10 I didn?t mind the waiting, as long as we are on the same page as our rival platforms and get updates before or with them.
But giving away Cortana has developed a poignant anxiety, I don?t know how much integration is possible on ios and android, but it is what made us stand out. We must not forget windows 10 does offer a tighter and superb integration with Skype, our PC and other devices, synced notification, Spartan browser, better cortana integration (probably). And maybe tighter integration with OS will be our unique feature. Probably showing reprobation because of inertia, but just maybe features offered to us will be better and definitely wouldn?t be like it was with office. Somehow want exclusivity, but Microsoft knows better.

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
See microsoft spends their time in devoloping for other OSs, but they do no improvement on their own OS. You can't even attach zip file in outlook and it's been liske that forver, now they spend their resources to update their iOS Android apps. And we always get the third rate support from MS.

In india cortana is kinda crap, skype app crashes after call completes everytime, outlook sucks, no option for customization, half the phones still don't have latest firmware Denim, No OTG and we still don't have proper office. Also WiFi direct MKV support in phones and a lot more. They couldn't even add Pause/resume in Lumia camera video recording in all this time and updates.

MS said W10 will fix it, WHY CAN'T THEY UPDATE THE EXISTING OS INSTEAD OF DEVELOPING FOR ANDROID/iOS.

It seems like WP is big lab experiment by MS just to see what sticks.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
See microsoft spends their time in devoloping for other OSs, but they do no improvement on their own OS. You can't even attach zip file in outlook and it's been liske that forver, now they spend their resources to update their iOS Android apps. And we always get the third rate support from MS.

In india cortana is kinda crap, skype app crashes after call completes everytime, outlook sucks, no option for customization, half the phones still don't have latest firmware Denim, No OTG and we still don't have proper office. Also WiFi direct MKV support in phones and a lot more. They couldn't even add Pause/resume in Lumia camera video recording in all this time and updates.

MS said W10 will fix it, WHY CAN'T THEY UPDATE THE EXISTING OS INSTEAD OF DEVELOPING FOR ANDROID/iOS.

See since we're getting a porper outook update with windows 10 they're gonna wait for that I guess, wifi direct it available i remember daniel saying that, but developers have to take advantage of that, try the app Easy transfer if you haven't. Think mkv support is there with latest update might be wrong but VLC is a nice option now. About Skype I completely agree I hate skype and performance is awful. Office features available right now are just fine for an average user like me.

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
See since we're getting a porper outook update with windows 10 they're gonna wait for that I guess, wifi direct it available i remember daniel saying that, but developers have to take advantage of that, try the app Easy transfer if you haven't. Think mkv support is there with latest update might be wrong but VLC is a nice option now. About Skype I completely agree I hate skype and performance is awful. Office features available right now are just fine for an average user like me.

Outlook update with Win10 << We've hearing that for forever now, everything will get fixed with Win10.
WiFi Direct << It's manual, no app has control over WiFi, apps can't turn on WiFi or Tethering. It's pathetic.
MKV Support << Windows Desktop OS 8.1 has MKV support Windows Phone Doesn't. Still doesn't have SRT support, chapter support and a lot more, XBOX video app is a joke.
This is what happens if I try to play MKV in Windows PC with XBOX video app.
http://i.imgur.com/J2ray8W.jpg
VLC << As of now sucks at video playback.
Skype << Is crap, absolute complete re purposed bovine waste.
Office << I would benefit from having Office properly on phone.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

You might be onto something. MS could've looked at all the bad reviews to make their money on other platforms. Or.......

Nokia built some phones without proper compatibility

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Outlook update with Win10 << We've hearing that for forever now, everything will get fixed with Win10.

This is an app they just bought from someone else. That's why it's already on iOS and Android. They didn't spend their time developing for it, other than to slap the "Outlook" name on it.

Why is it waiting for W10? Because it doesn't make sense to spend time developing for WP8.1 + Win8.1 when they can just develop it as a Windows 10 Universal App, which is a different API. Windows 10 is too close to develop for 8.1 at this point.

Try looking past the end of your nose... eh, er... phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is an app they just bought from someone else. That's why it's already on iOS and Android. They didn't spend their time developing for it, other than to slap the "Outlook" name on it.

True, but it's already gotten several updates on both iOS and Android. I use it on both.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
True, but it's already gotten several updates on both iOS and Android. I use it on both.

Are you seriously comparing the difference between a full OS port of an entire, large, complicated application to a few minor updates to the code?
Bahaha.jpg

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you seriously comparing the difference between a full OS port of an entire, large, complicated application to a few minor updates to the code?

Well they could fix the attachment issues first? Like attach any file (from pictures to virus :evil: ) to a email. Also attachment download improvements.

rnXVEy0.png

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand why you guys are crying like she's your wife and she's two-timing on you. MS is a services company. Get over it. It doesn't stop them from developing WP (on the contrary but you're too simple to realize that) and this doesn't magically make your WP any less functional.
You guys sure cry when other OS' get WP apps but when WP gets iOS apps it sure as hell is the second coming.

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It's funny I was just about to pray this article. Mixed feelings indeed. Office is one thing but Cortana? I dunno. They should have kept this one in house. We need at least one thing to make WP unique. Then again, MS strategy does seem to be working. There's so much talk about MS now (being the new Google and all). This may make MS more relevant in the end. Again...mixed feelings.
Sent from my Lumia 930

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

How do you know it was "a few minor updates to the code"? :wink: It does demonstrate how Microsoft was interested in more than changing the name from Accompli to Outlook in order to get an email app on iOS and Android. What's it been, 2 months and already 2 or 3 updates (for whatever they're worth).

How many updates did Outlook on WP get in the last couple months? :eck:

I do have to give you credit for your undying optimism!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's wait until we see what level she comes over to iOS or Android- or when she even does- prior to getting all wrapped up in this subject.

But, honestly, I think I may have turned a corner on Windows phone. I believe it will survive and I believe it will grow, but I am also a realist. MS has a bigger picture in their sights, and the iOS and Android marketplace are needed. Windows 10 is place to put some hope on, but seriously does anyone see a jump to 20% anytime soon? Or even 10%?

Porting services to get users on a Microsoft lifestyle is way more important to the survival of MS than Windows on phones is by itself. The success of WP will happen, but it will be the experience that sells it, not exclusive services.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But, honestly, I think I may have turned a corner on Windows phone. I believe it will survive and I believe it will grow, but I am also a realist. MS has a bigger picture in their sights, and the iOS and Android marketplace are needed. Windows 10 is place to put some hope on, but seriously does anyone see a jump to 20% anytime soon? Or even 10%?

I basically agree with this. I believe that the unified OS in Windows 10 will help cement WP's survival, but not because it will grow. Before, WP was a completely separate OS. Its survival on 3% market share was probably shaky at best. However, with W10, I'm guessing that not as much effort is needed to keep up the OS version for the phone since its basis is the same as the desktop OS. If less effort is required, it might be worth it even with stagnant growth and relatively little usage.

Disclaimer: I do not actually know how much effort goes into modifying W10 to create a mobile OS; I'm only guessing that there's somewhat less labor required than having a completely separate WP OS. My entire theory is based on this.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Why is it waiting for W10? Because it doesn't make sense to spend time developing for WP8.1 + Win8.1 when they can just develop it as a Windows 10 Universal App, which is a different API. Windows 10 is too close to develop for 8.1 at this point.

Try looking past the end of your nose... eh, er... phone.

How do you know it was "a few minor updates to the code"? :wink: It does demonstrate how Microsoft was interested in more than changing the name from Accompli to Outlook in order to get an email app on iOS and Android. What's it been, 2 months and already 2 or 3 updates (for whatever they're worth).

How many updates did Outlook on WP get in the last couple months? :eck:

I do have to give you credit for your undying optimism!

Apparently you didn't read my post 2 up from the one you quoted. It kind of discredits what you bring up quoting my second post. Why would Microsoft spend time porting the app to 8.1 when Windows 10 will be released in a few months? It needs to be ported to a Universal App for desktop, tablet, and phone all at once. Also, the "Outlook" team can't be working on making updates to an app that is at the end of its cycle. They are busy working on the W10 Universal App.

Stop complaining and show a little patience. It's part of being a grown-up.

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
We all know MSFT is a servicing company. Cortana is tightly integrated to onedrive, onenote, office and it completely collects data from BING. So by introducing Cortana to IOS and Android, MSFT make more BING users. And if those other platform users become satisfied with Cortana, they would install OneNote and Onedrive too (bcoz they are tightly integrated with Cortana and installing them will make them get more out of Cortana)

The other important thing is MSFT didn't build Cortana, Onedrive, OneNote and Office to compete with other OS counterparts. In other words, Not to make attraction towards windows phones/ windows PCs. Like... 'Oh Man..!! Look at these things... if you want to enjoy these things, you must own a win PC/phone'. Nope.... They are servicing company and they lend their services regardless of platforms.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I dont understand why you guys are crying like she's your wife and she's cheating on you. MS is a services company. Get over it. It doesn't stop them from developing WP (on the contrary but you're too simple to realize that) and this doesn't magically make your WP any less functional.
You guys sure cry when other OS' get WP apps but when WP gets iOS apps its the second coming. Leftovers are your preference?

Agreed it's a service company, but it doesn't justify to ignore your native platform and give better office apps to rival platforms. Sure they want Pc owners to have a great experience no matter which phone they use, but I just hope there is something more than synced notifications for windows phone. What I mean is better office apps, better cortana integration and better integration between apps common on our devices. Like I said have mixed feelings.

Last edited by a moderator:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I basically agree with this. I believe that the unified OS in Windows 10 will help cement WP's survival, but not because it will grow. Before, WP was a completely separate OS. Its survival on 3% market share was probably shaky at best. However, with W10, I'm guessing that not as much effort is needed to keep up the OS version for the phone since its basis is the same as the desktop OS. If less effort is required, it might be worth it even with stagnant growth and relatively little usage.

Disclaimer: I do not actually know how much effort goes into modifying W10 to create a mobile OS; I'm only guessing that there's somewhat less labor required than having a completely separate WP OS. My entire theory is based on this.

Sounds like what you're saying is...... Windows 10 will fix everything! :winktongue:

I have to agree, though. As its own entity WP definitely has no potential for any meaningful growth, MS now gives the OS away to OEM's and still its marketshare shrank. Being cast under the umbrella of W10 is its only hope of surviving but I think ultimately Microsoft's stake in the mobile space will consist mostly of software and services on ios and android.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you didn't read my post 2 up from the one you quoted. It kind of discredits what you bring up quoting my second post. Why would Microsoft spend time porting the app to 8.1 when Windows 10 will be released in a few months? It needs to be ported to a Universal App for desktop, tablet, and phone all at once. Also, the "Outlook" team can't be working on making updates to an app that is at the end of its cycle. They are busy working on the W10 Universal App.

Stop complaining and show a little patience. It's part of being a grown-up.

For the second time, I do have to give you credit for your undying optimism! :smile:

You may be correct, but you're surmising as much as the next person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99