Windows Phone? What's that? Must be complicated

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The reaction I usually get from people oblivious to mobile OS', when I tell them I have a WP- Is that some new type of Samsung phone?

I was at a Samsung outlet middle of last year. They had the Activ S on display. I ask the sales guy what is this, and his reply "Oh its the latest thing"

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
While this does sound good, most normal people are ignorant & just go with what's hip & happening... Like in India, currently OnePlusOne & iPhone 6 are all the rage, so anyone upgrading just blindly goes for these, without even knowing its features, only that it has social apps & takes good pics.

Or most normal people buy the phones they want...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phones are suitable for people with the following characteristics:

1. willing to try
  2. striving for productivity
  3. trust his own judgement/will instead of the trend
  4. be proud of what he is using, regardless of the popularity of that thing
  5. focus on what he needs instead of what a product can provide
  6. and many more...

The fact is, less than 5% of people in the globe possess the above characteristics. Microsoft cannot change this fact. For some people without the above characteristics, they will refuse using WP even if they don't have to pay.

I don't mind WP being "unpopular". There are so many good things in this world that are unpopular at all. I am proud of using this unpopular product because I find it so cool and beautiful.

Be a happy WP user... :)

II'm sure for many, IOS and Android satisfy those things for people as well. I think we need to stop making blanket generalizations and stop trying to prescribe our own ideas, feelings and assumptions on to others.

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people asked me if my Lumia 920 was an Android Phone. I live in Canada, Windows phone is not really popular here. They still like the phone though

lui22

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well coming from a BlackBerry I really really miss the having android player as a sidekick to the experience. I have instagram Facebook linked but not soundcloud authentic weather, a more rich reddit client, I can have most of those if not native then side loaded on bb10 but I'm in that week period where I'm starting to get used to the os. There is a bigger learning curve in WindowsPhone i believe than on BB10

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I heard a few different responses when I had my 1520...

1. Damn why you carrying around a big screen TV ?

2. How in the h*&& do I dial a number with this?

3. That looks frigging cool.....

But never once did anyone ever say it was complicated.

Posted from my HTC M8

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I've got into the WP ecosystem because of my two friends who are using 820 and 920 and they pretty much sum up to a "fan boy" which is not bad because WP isn't bad either. And the first thought came to my mind when I heard the word Windows Phone l was like " is that a "Windows" phone?, you mean the PC OS?", then my friend let me play around with the OS and I fell in love with it at the first place, by that time my friend showed me is I believe WP7/8 and I was more into IOS and Android devices that time so definitely I've never heard of windows phone nor didn't cared about it before, then l bought my first WP which is the 1020 right after the release in my country because I like the first impression I've had with WP . I think Microsoft missed a lot of chances on the "windows phone?, is that a PC?" thing both in the OS features/functionality and advertisements. Now that Microsoft is making the w10, I think they really need to change the way they think and make it more competitive to its rivals as well as making it more powerful and more pc like/well integrated to the pc and also make it more user friendly in terms of features and functionality.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The most common I questions I get from strangers are:

1) What iphone model is that?
2) Is that a Samsung?
A) "No, a Nokia" however if it's a friend trying to be a smart *** and I'm feeling sarky "learn to read damn it :grin:".

Common questions from my social circle, usually they ask these trying to wind me up / trying to be a smart *** lol:

3) Do you get viruses on this thing since it runs windows?
A) Nah, don't need an anti virus unlike your android phone :grin::grin: (If they have an android phone more than often they start to panic, but try not to show it :evil:).

4) Yo, yo you have Siri :evil::evil:?
A) Why would I have Siri, it's not an iphone duh. I've got Cortana, much better... then we either get into a debate which is better and invariably they change the subject if they can't come up with a coherent response.

Alternatively their response is "better how? (rolling their eyes)", I just go "well I'd explain but I doubt your mind will be able to take much in, since it's full of grass an' all :grin::grin::winktongue:". A little banter ensues about each others mental capacity lol.

However the most frequent question I get asked with-in my social circle is "why are you still using that crappy phone?"
My response is more or less "well because it is much sturdier & durable than your vastly expensive toddler toy" :winktongue:.

Never the less if anyone is interested in my phone, I enable apps corner with just the calculator, hand it to them, ask them to get out of it. Usually they go what the hell?! How do I use this thing???

By this time they are pretty intrigued.

So I proceed to show them and explain what it's good for, show them kids corner and at this point they usually start looking through their phone to check if they said functionality. Once they finish rummaging around their phone (which always ends with a disappointed expression on their face:winktongue:), I show them my start screen, unpin everything and pin a few items back. Explain that they can anything pinned that they want and in various sizes (whilst showing an on screen demo) unlike on their phone. Followed by a Camera demo whilst phone is locked.

A brief Q&A about what apps they use and what they generally use their phones for on a day to day basis. Once I finished explaining the pros, cons & the third party apps like Metrotube, mytube, tubecast etc.7/10 times they start looking at various windows phones on sites like Carphone Warehouse.

Unfortunately this is where it goes south... they get convinced by the reps to either get the latest galaxy, iphone, Note or on the odd occasion the LG G3. However if they do manage to walk out with a windows phone either from a store or order one online, they often switch due to the peer pressure from their friends.

Me personally, I like being different and not a lemming.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Most people I know wont move away from Iphone simply due to iMessage, even Android isn't an option. a couple of companies I have worked with have gone back to Iphones as there choice of business phone, due to the locked in control, Android is too easy to mess with, windows phone was once the choice, due to it being cheaper, but iphone is now used due to a more professional quality look for the salesman, it says successful not cheap (the very words from a marketing meeting) On exhibition stands on practically all the companies I am involved with (being a 3D exhibition video designer) the only option for display interaction is Ipad. On a personal note, I couldn't be without an Iphone and Ipad for my business, for pleasure I would choose Windows phone and Android, Android simply for the fun of experimenting with different ROMS and root capabilities, its a shame Windows Phone isn't more popular, but I would say it simply didn't hit the market correctly at the right time or right people, It always amazes me when I read how popular Android is, as most businesses and people I deal with use Apple.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The majority of people I know are familiar with iPhones and Androids. They think anything that isn't an iPhone is an Android. :unhappy:

And website developers as well, it seems; I find when I go to a site that says "use our App!" and I click the link, on an iPhone it would open the apple app store, on all other phones it goes to google play, apparently assuming if it isn't an iPhone, it MUST be an android device. :-(

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phones are suitable for people with the following characteristics:

willing to try
striving for productivity
trust his own judgement/will instead of the trend
be proud of what he is using, regardless of the popularity of that thing
focus on what he needs instead of what a product can provide
and many more...

The fact is, less than 5% of people in the globe possess the above characteristics. Microsoft cannot change this fact. For some people without the above characteristics, they will refuse using WP even if they don't have to pay.

I don't mind WP being "unpopular". There are so many good things in this world that are unpopular at all. I am proud of using this unpopular product because I find it so cool and beautiful.

Be a happy WP user... :)

Agreed. I am also one who will go for something that I myself thinks would be best for me, and not the current trend. I am fine with using multiple platforms (I have an Android Tablet, no iDevice as i do not have enough cash for that :p). But my point is, many don't understand about making their own choice, and are pressured by others to get the latest and coolest device. Doesn't help that people do less thinking nowadays (well, in my opinion at least) when it comes to tech, and just get whatever the press is saying is the best, or what others saying. I have always supported the underdog platform in the smartphone market (used to be Symbian before it died off), as I feel that there are already enough users for the dominant platforms and I do not need to contribute to it. As long as the phone works, as long as it suits my need and I like it, doesn't matter if apps sucks/lack, I am happy enough to use Windows Phone as my primary OS.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the tech industry surrounded by tech people all day. When people ask what kind of phone I have, I usually get that "Ohh.." comment like they just found out if I had a family member die. Eventually, they see how much capability I have with it; seamless Office integration, Cortana reminders, (used to be People Hub) and they start looking at it in another light. Couple have even converted over and they always come back and say "It just WORKS! I never have to reboot it or pull the battery."

​;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos