5 Necessary Steps to reach 10% Marketshare - What would you add?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Below is my assessment as to what needs to happen in order for Windows Phone to reach 10% market share. The list is not necessarily in the order of importance. What would you add? Try to keep it realistic please... No bland comments like "Don't make it like Android.."

1. Continue efforts in the budget / mid-tier market
So far this strategy has been working well, and in order to continue to gain around the globe Microsoft should double down on their efforts to create beautiful, functional devices at low cost.

2. Get in bed with business/IT
Foster the relationship with businesses to showcase why Windows Phone is the better option for their business users. Tout management, security features and cost savings. Offer special discounts on "custom apps" for business development. Much like they did with Office 365 they offered free migration service credits to businesses switching from on-premise to cloud.

3. Bundle Windows Phone with PCs/Tablets
Start bundling a phone with every tablet/PC sold for a specific period of time.

4. Flagship phone with unique features to make it stand out - across all carriers
In this sense I believe something unique has to be done. Releasing across all carriers (paying them off to do so if necessary) but also offering incentives to the carriers if they sell/push these devices. For instance, have Verizon employees get a special "bonus" pay if they manage to sell at least X number of Windows Phone in a given period. Give these pimple-faced "tech genius" wanna-be's phone sales people incentive to push windows phones and not bash them. Maybe even give them all a free phone on top of a $$$ bonus. Yea this is going to cost money, but could work?

5. Advertise like crazy
Windows Phone/10 should be in your face every where you look. TV, Radio, Print, Internet. There should be no question in anyone's mind what Windows Phone is and what it can do (better) than the other. Showcase the integration between Windows devices in a MEANINGFUL way (not just they look the same).

Bonus - 6. Windows 10 Blowout with meaningful Universal Apps at launch
Ok, so we all know Win10 is coming and what it is capable of - but just throwing it out there isn't enough. Win10 needs an extravagant launch (much like Win95 was). On top of this, they need to launch with developer partnership showcasing a series of universal apps that make sense! Not just "hey, you can get the same app here, there, and there". That's not enough. There needs to be a showcase of WHY universal apps matter. Something that can truly demonstrate why YOU John Q. need universal apps.

Follow these steps for at least a year or more, and the road to 10% market share will be in reach. I didn't add "Apps" because the apps will come naturally if the above is followed.

What do you think

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure #3 is really realistic. People would think that the price of the phone is being added to the cost of the PC/laptop/tablet and may think they are overpaying. But besides the point, trying to bundle 1 phone that would work across all carriers and have the specs that people want would prove to be difficult. I think bundling is a good idea in general though. If Microsoft Band proves to be popular at Best Buy, they could offer a promotion to get a free Lumia 635 with the purchase of a Band, for example. Also offer an incentive when purchasing an Xbox One. Buy an Xbox One, get $50 off any Windows Phone and a free Xbox Music pass for a year. (just an example)
The other thing is something really needs to be done to address the negative perception people have about Windows. The tech industry is driven by the younger generation and many of them have it in their heads that Microsoft and Windows are old and outdated and uncool and they choose Apple or Google instead. Focus on devices that are cool such as the Band, HoloLens, and Xbox and target those ads towards the younger generation.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure #3 is really realistic. People would think that the price of the phone is being added to the cost of the PC/laptop/tablet and may think they are overpaying. But besides the point, trying to bundle 1 phone that would work across all carriers and have the specs that people want would prove to be difficult. I think bundling is a good idea in general though. If Microsoft Band proves to be popular at Best Buy, they could offer a promotion to get a free Lumia 635 with the purchase of a Band, for example. Also offer an incentive when purchasing an Xbox One. Buy an Xbox One, get $50 off any Windows Phone and a free Xbox Music pass for a year. (just an example)
The other thing is something really needs to be done to address the negative perception people have about Windows. The tech industry is driven by the younger generation and many of them have it in their heads that Microsoft and Windows are old and outdated and uncool and they choose Apple or Google instead. Focus on devices that are cool such as the Band, HoloLens, and Xbox and target those ads towards the younger generation.

Yes I agree

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Maybe dish out free 435's to any one that trade's in a non-smart phone... Perhaps also sell the 435's for ?$?10 with any other Microsoft purchase.

The great thing about all these cheap devices is that people that are out of reach of a free upgrade who've broken their phones will happily buy one to last them a few months untill they can upgrade. So its a great part of the market to be flooding right now.

However, the lack of any flagships, or even talk of flagships, isn't really turning any heads. Since McLaren was cancelled there hasn't really been any "wow" news about windows phone. There's W10 but that's not really stirring people outside of the TP.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Give US carriers a cut of app profits. I.e. Make a Windows phone sale one that constantly generates income for carriers.
Also a good idea - but they won't see that as that big of an incentive if there aren't any apps on the platform. You need to get them to sell it before you can entice them with app sales.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
NOW they need to advertise? What have they been doing the last 4+ years? If they had been "advertising like crazy" since the launch of Windows Phone, they might have 10% of the market already.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That's debatable based on history

I agree, a lot of people think that because MS is such a large company they make great decisions and do their homework. They, and other major tech companies, have fallen flat on their faces more than once. The Kin was a pretty pathetic device from the get go, and I think most people could see that, and also early decisions with the xbox one (high price with kinect and used game restrictions), and Surface RT. I'm sure MS had plenty of research and tons of number crunching to go along with it. But who knows- maybe the research said it was going to suck but it got the green light from the right people. Whatever the case, these huge companies aren't infallible and I'm not always going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree, a lot of people think that because MS is such a large company they make great decisions and do their homework. They, and other major tech companies, have fallen flat on their faces more than once. The Kin was a pretty pathetic device from the get go, and I think most people could see that, and also early decisions with the xbox one (high price with kinect and used game restrictions), and Surface RT. I'm sure MS had plenty of research and tons of number crunching to go along with it. But who knows- maybe the research said it was going to suck but it got the green light from the right people. Whatever the case, these huge companies aren't infallible and I'm not always going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

​And yet I'm going to go out on a limb and still say that they no better then those of us debating on these forums. ijs

​That said, MS does give users a way to convey there wants, needs and opinions. Use it.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
ELIMINATE CARRIER EXCLUSIVE MARKETING. It's wrong direction. I dont know what's going on outside the US, but here old 928 (w/ xenon flash, which many ppl like) and Icon are Verizon exclusive, 1020 and 1520 (probably the best two devices) are ATT exclusive, 925 was exclusive to Tmobile then went to ATT (or vice versa).
Why dont they sell as Apple and Samsung, from day one with all carriers? They sell millions of devices and when Nokia (now MS) sells thousands (or hundreds) it's a Big Deal.
Many wanted 930 in the US but it never came here because we got Icon (Verizon excl.). Well, not everyone likes Verizon, especially when it comes to WP people hate it (its representatives, the way it release updates). Its unlocked I now and one can buy it for full price, ~$600, and use with other carriers (got my 928 like that) but not everyone can afford it. Plus it doesn't work with "full capacity" on other carriers. No LTE, can't send SMS unless you dont switch to 2G (-referring to my 928 on Tmobile)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
#5 & then #5 some more oh & #5, all for a sustained 6-9 months in conjunction with all their phones releases on all carriers worldwide at the same time when the launch.....did I mention #5?

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
There is one way to increase market of WP. Only one .......
That is

Improve the services quality(and bring out rewardpolicy out of USA) and stop focusing USA only. Think about rest of world then only MS can improve WP market share.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
#5 & then #5 some more oh & #5, all for a sustained 6-9 months in conjunction with all their phones releases on all carriers worldwide at the same time when the launch.....did I mention #5?

I agree, but I think all 5 (plus 6) are necessary. Cherry picking any of the above will result in the same place WP is now...

Swens221

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft's first flagship needs to be on all carriers and the quality of Windows apps needs to improve. I could careless about the large gap in the number of apps because in my opinion there are really only a few hundred apps that are worthwhile and maybe a few hundred more that are fun to try out and explore. Work out a deal with Google and get their apps on WP devices. Once the new flagship launches they need to follow Samsung and HTC and produce a new one every year or Apple every year to year and a half.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb