Just how low can MS go? L340? L240?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, they COULD make a device with 512MB RAM again and even remove all camera's. Most people would hate it, but it should be less expensive, which is the goal.

I wonder what the 430/435 cost them to produce...

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Just how low can MS go? L340? L240? L140? Any ideas, or suggestions, on how MS can kill the feature phone❓❓

Looks to me like they're all about market share. Sell LOTS of cheap phones in markets where that matters, and they can claim a high enough market share to advance the ecosystem ... thus justifying the high-end phones we hope for.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks to me like they're all about market share. Sell LOTS of cheap phones in markets where that matters, and they can claim a high enough market share to advance the ecosystem ... thus justifying the high-end phones we hope for.

A part of me understand their strategy. They have to get market share up. But that's one part of me

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In some ways it is working. When I got my 920, over 2 years ago, I was the only person with one. In the last 5 months I have noticed 3 friends with them (a 630, 530 and a 535). Each of them is actually fairly happy with their device. They are potential future upgraders. None of them would have previously considered a flagship.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Um ms is not " all about market share" ! At least not with WP:|

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 035, so I'm gonna say remove the processor, RAM, camera, buttons, case, and everything unimportant. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that iSheep like good displays

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
In some ways it is working. When I got my 920, over 2 years ago, I was the only person with one. In the last 5 months I have noticed 3 friends with them (a 630, 530 and a 535). Each of them is actually fairly happy with their device. They are potential future upgraders. None of them would have previously considered a flagship.

Yes, the slow, but sure, road...

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Um ms is not " all about market share" ! At least not with WP:|

Ummm, lets not fool ourselves... MS's ultimate goal is to provide it's services to as many people worldwide as possible.... It is STRICTLY all about MS.. This is business, and MS is in it to make $$.. That's the bottom line... And, as one fella said above,, they could make an actual Lumia device with no camera, 512mb of ram, and provide the absolute basic smartphone experience possible... Right now MS's best shot at relevance in mobile phones is to switch over feature phone users.. That means they my have to take from their own Asha market share, and develop a 3xx, or 2xx Lumia that could be purchased for less than $50 new off contract.... That would be sick.... And, there might actually be a market for this in the US, and China, which could considerably help market share.... That's my take.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If Windows 10 brings more support for different processors like Mediatek and Intel processors we may be able to see cheaper and more powerful budget devices.

Jonahkirk

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
But they also lose potential customers if no one has anything to upgrade to. I'm still using my 920 because there is so little to upgrade to. The 830 was underwhelming the 930 wasn't marketed in the US and doesn't support lte, and I don't want a phablet. Now my apps are breaking Sbux no longer works, I replaced it with buckstar that is now flaking out. If windows 10 doesn't fix Windows phone in the US plus get us some flagships, MS will have one less customer. My old HTC Inspire running Android 2.3 connected with my PC and Windows Home Server and my network much better than my Windows Phones ever have.

karan25i

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
if ms wants to make market share to rise above 5%.no of cheap phones has to be made by ms.in this way they can reach to everyones mind.android have phone of 2500INR.why not microsoft..

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The 435 is ?29.99 ($44} in the UK, and that includes VAT/tax. I don't reckon there is a much lower price point. That is disposable pricing. They could probably produce a 3 series as just a phone with no camera etc though.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The 435 is ?29.99 ($44} in the UK, and that includes VAT/tax. I don't reckon there is a much lower price point. That is disposable pricing. They could probably produce a 3 series as just a phone with no camera etc though.
You're lucky. 435 is overpriced at $90 in India including taxes. Should be $70 at most.For $90 in India you can get 4.7 inch 720p display, quad core cpu, 1gb ram, 5 mp autofocus cam with flash, 2mp front cam, etc.Now tell me why one should get 435 instead of the other much better specced android phone?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You're lucky. 435 is overpriced at $90 in India including taxes. Should be $70 at most.For $90 in India you can get 4.7 inch 720p display, quad core cpu, 1gb ram, 5 mp autofocus cam with flash, 2mp front cam, etc.Now tell me why one should get 435 instead of the other much better specced android phone?

Nobody forces you to buy the the 435 so if you think it's "overpriced" do not buy it.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, they could remove the front camera and decrease the screen resolution (360p instead of 480p) and call it 340...I really don't see the point of it. The 430 is already quite cheap.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to more relevant area...

Mayhap we are forgetting that Microsoft released a 2xx model already in Q1 of 2015.
Meet Nokia 215: our most affordable Internet-ready entry-level phone yet - Lumia Conversations

I have to agree that Microsoft is trying to get mindshare and market share built on a ground floor base that is strong enough to support a pyramid. There is also an unfortunate convergence whereby it seems fortuitous to delay a flagship until the next-gen OS version is ready for RTM...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_30+

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Specs aren't everything. WP is well known to be a very optimised OS, especially at the low end. iDevices have always had low specs, yet in all the test suites, run rings around far better specced Android devices, due to optimisation.

With Android, its all about the OEM. There are good Android phones, but there are a lot more rubbish ones. Having all the specs in the world won't help with a useless Android installation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss