Kabam ditching WP for Android & Apple

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
MS is closing on its target to release W10 for all devices to the general public. This is big news for us as WP fans, because for many years we have been hearing that the WP community itself is way to "small", hence developers can't make enough money, but with the accessibility that W10 will provide, that argument SHOULD become obsolete.

However, lately it seems as if some developers/companies are choosing to abandon ship before the shipwreck (so to speak + I am in no way saying that W10 is/will be a shipwreck). Since the start of this year we have lost a lot of developers/companies. All of them are saying the same (basically) "not enough users to justify the costs of keeping the app".

The latest to join this merry band of misfits... Kabam!!!! Yes the same company that announced last year that they had a deal in place with MS. Read the details here

For their statement on abandoning WP; read this

The article quotes an email to WC as the source, but so far the story has yet to feature on WC, so this could be fluke? nonetheless the fact that so many developers are jumping ship, is alarming! As if "others" needed more "ammunition".....

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
nonetheless the fact that so many developers are jumping ship, is alarming! As if "others" needed more cannon fodder.....
​I think you mean ammunition rather than cannon fodder.
But anyway, I still don't get the alarm about companies not coming to/leaving WP. There's not one app that I use that's been removed, and neither are there apps on the other platforms I would use if they were on WP. I accept I may well be in a minority though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The apps that were discontinued weren't any that I used. The apps I use on Android were never available for Windows Phone (my bank - - US Bank, Sam's Club, Walmart). I only have one game, Despicable Me-Minion Rush, on Windows Phone. I don't have any Android games.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do realize that some of those Banks weren't lying when they said that there aren't many users, but still it's one less app (none of those apps have an impact on me).

Still if there was actually a deal between MS and Kabam (it does seem as if..) then it would be unjust of them to push production on apps/games for our platform aside :/

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I do realize that some of those Banks weren't lying when they said that there aren't many users, but still it's one less app (none of those apps have an impact on me).

Still if there was actually a deal between MS and Kabam (it does seem as if..) then it would be unjust of them to push production on apps/games for our platform aside :/
It would depend upon the terms of the contract (if there were any specific number of games required or if that were dependent upon number of users of the game).

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Before this year is out there will be 100 million Windows Phone users not to mention the potential for 100's of millions of Windows 10 PC users. Any company that doesn't think that's worth it will be missing out. But that's their choice.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My attitude:
What will be will be...

Microsoft isn't a company that can easily be dismissed.
What would be the impact if MS packed up and left the planet tonight?

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
​I think you mean ammunition rather than cannon fodder.
But anyway, I still don't get the alarm about companies not coming to/leaving WP. There's not one app that I use that's been removed, and neither are there apps on the other platforms I would use if they were on WP. I accept I may well be in a minority though.

I want to be able to play games or use apps that my friends get on there iPhone or Android, at the same time. I want to boost to them, too, an app that is pretty awesome and later become a top selling app, all before my friends get it on iPhone.

Is this really too much to ask, or understand? You may not need apps or games, due to the success of the OS, but I would like to be able to say the same damn thing as the competitors would say. Not, "I got a good phone... Because it's good."

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Bold prediction mate xd

It is generally accepted that Lumia sales in the last few years add up to around 70 million units now (35 million last year alone). Current quarters are around 8-9 million units. (e.g. Q3 2014 = 9.3M, Q4 2014=10.5M)

With the focus on even cheaper units I'd expect volume to be higher, so 100 million should be pretty easily reached by year end. Especially with interest in Windows 10.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about starting a similar thread when I read about Kabam a few days ago, however its just normal for that to happen and no one can blame the companies for doing so. In all honesty its really up to Microsoft to entice developers and companies new and old to a platform that has cohesion, ease of use and above all the ability to adopt new users and steal from Apple and Android. The past car crash's have soiled Microsofts reputation but they have very deep pockets, so much so that they can write of a billion worth of stock (I wonder how many people could have been fed in Africa for that amount, anyways, back to the important land of 'technology') MS will sort its act as historically they release rubbish followed by a great OS. The first one under Satya's leadership and it has had enough time for his leadership to show. It has to be pretty much bulletproof without idiotic omissions and OMG moments that Windows 8 had. The world WANTS and needs a great OS - please please please MS DONT **** IT UP!!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about starting a similar thread when I read about Kabam a few days ago, however its just normal for that to happen and no one can blame the companies for doing so. In all honesty its really up to Microsoft to entice developers and companies new and old to a platform that has cohesion, ease of use and above all the ability to adopt new users and steal from Apple and Android. The past car crash's have soiled Microsofts reputation but they have very deep pockets, so much so that they can write of a billion worth of stock (I wonder how many people could have been fed in Africa for that amount, anyways, back to the important land of 'technology') MS will sort its act as historically they release rubbish followed by a great OS. The first one under Satya's leadership and it has had enough time for his leadership to show. It has to be pretty much bulletproof without idiotic omissions and OMG moments that Windows 8 had. The world WANTS and needs a great OS - please please please MS DONT **** IT UP!!

I read an article yesterday (I think I saved it, so might post it later) of a dev. He stated that currently he has been making more money with WP than any of the others. It didn't start out that way, but he has seen a steady rise in his income. His main focus, as for many others, had been IOS and Android, but his income has become stagnant on IOS and he's seeing a decline with Android.

Obviously he's just one guy and im not even sure which apps he has developed (wasn't in the article), but this is uplifting news. If one can do it, then so can others

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans