04-27-2015 09:35 PM
89 1234
tools
    The dragging W10 items don't annoy me, nor things like the lack of a flagship. What I am annoyed about are the basic no brainer items that shouldn't even be problems, such as:
    • MS apps being marginally better on competing platforms
    • Xbox Music not having functionality that has been the norm on other phones/MP3's for years (I'm looking at your gapless playback)
    • Removing aestetically pleasing features that were universally loved (8.0 photos hub)
    • Companies releasing half-a** apps for WP that suck. And because they suck nobody uses them, then the companies remove them citing low market share / usage
    noersetiawan likes this.
    04-21-2015 01:13 PM
    Yeah, me too. But I have the 1520 and I have a sneaking suspicion MS don't want to support it much longer.
    It's a lot newer than the 920, so I think you'll be OK.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-21-2015 01:20 PM
    Keep calm and hold tight it will get better.
    I told myself that with Windows Phone 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows and Windows Phone 8/8.1...and I still do...

I just can recommend Windows Phones or tablets to he casual user...to them it IS about the apps...they need Bank of America, Arkansas Game and Fish, Local Banking, Local TV stations, They want more functional Instagram and the like apps, They want the WalMart apps...it just goes on and on...I am not the "app centric" user but the casual user is...

But I will keep holding on to hope and the fact they are gaining market share (we assume) from the bottom (low end) up...
    04-21-2015 01:49 PM
    The most frustrated thing right now is how long it's taking Microsoft to release new builds of WP10. The lack of updates is making everyone nervous, and that nervousness is driving people into feedback overdrive. Too many people are rushing to judgment, doing their best to give "critical analysis" of unfinished apps. I'm using the tech preview and the software isn't just unfinished, it's barely functional. My photos app just stopped working. My camera pics are just disappearing into the ether right now. So much is simply not ready for critical analysis. But without newer builds, what are people to do? Another day, another UI concept I guess. Is Microsoft incorporating any new ideas, following through on all the feedback, making huge sweeping changes? No one knows! Until new builds start coming out, people will remain in feedback overdrive.
    I am on the Lumia ICON so I am glad I didn't get this latest WP10 push...and I've actually opted out and uninstalled the app for now...
    04-21-2015 01:50 PM
    You might want to use the phone for 1 month and then look at the performance. My Galaxy S5 has slowed down considerably especially when using whatsapp or browser.
    Before I went Windows Phone, I had Androids and they would all slow down, bog down and crash often over time...
    04-21-2015 02:09 PM
    This sounded almost like an intro to an infomercial to a sleep number mattress or something. I was waiting to get the "antidote" to what ails us man.
    "Its not a dicer, its not a slicer, its not a chopper in a hopper and don't you want to know what it is?? lol.
    Actually I was channeling the Super Bass-O-Matic... :)
    04-21-2015 02:11 PM
    The dragging W10 items don't annoy me, nor things like the lack of a flagship. What I am annoyed about are the basic no brainer items that shouldn't even be problems, such as:
    • MS apps being marginally better on competing platforms
    • Xbox Music not having functionality that has been the norm on other phones/MP3's for years (I'm looking at your gapless playback)
    • Removing aestetically pleasing features that were universally loved (8.0 photos hub)
    • Companies releasing half-a** apps for WP that suck. And because they suck nobody uses them, then the companies remove them citing low market share / usage
    Yes...loved Photo Hub...and I am one of the few who loves Family Room and Rooms in general.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 02:13 PM
    Before I went Windows Phone, I had Androids and they would all slow down, bog down and crash often over time...
    They all do it. From the oldest android to the latest. They are all smoother than silk when they come right out the box. Get some apps loaded up over time and they become very clunky. I have an HTC M8 running android for work and it was smooth when I got it. Loaded up some apps and now I hate those times I need to use it. Its a clunky phone just like the others. My 1520 never skipped a beat.
    04-21-2015 02:25 PM
    I told myself that with Windows Phone 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows and Windows Phone 8/8.1...and I still do...
    This is where I've been as well.

It gets to a point where enough is enough. I have been strongly contemplating switching to iOS. It isn't JUST the app-gap, it's a combination of so many things, of which that is a part.

The apps we do have are not updated or supported (look at Instagram.)
    There are huge apps we are missing (Snapchat.)
    My experience of notifications is that they are still screwed up. I'll get a notification from Facebook asking if I know someone, but won't get one for a comment. I'll get Messenger notification consistently, but (Microsoft's own) GroupMe is maybe 60%, Twitter almost never shows notifications, etc. It is just a mess. And I know that isn't the fault of the OS - its a developer issue.
    On my Icon, sometimes WiFi stops connecting. On my M8, its the cell data.
    While iOS and Android have full featured Office clients, we have the same as when WP launched 5 years ago.
    Despite the "shared DNA" with Xbox and the existence of Smartglass, companion apps are not on WP (Destiny, Dying Light, etc.)
    There is still no Google support - which unfortunately has become a necessity for students as many universities use it. So when professors and colleagues are sharing me documents, I have to use the mobile version of the Drive site to access them. It's petty, but it all adds up.
    And on and on.

The most frustrating part is that they are almost at an impasse.

I don't think W10 will all of sudden spur WP app development. And if they embrace a method to use Android apps (like Amazon) what reason is there for developers to not just create Android apps? Why would anyone continue to make universal Windows apps?

What is the solution? I don't know. I'm all in (Surface, Xbox, Icon, Band, etc.) so it would be a big (and expensive) change to switch platforms, but I'm giving it til the end of the year.

I've been with Microsoft since Windows Mobile/Pocket PC days and keep waiting for it to get better... and it just seems like a pipe dream at this point. But hopefully they will prove me wrong.

/endrant lol
    Laura Knotek and boxa72 like this.
    04-21-2015 02:42 PM
    I'm more concerned than frustrated. I want a flagship phone. The number of app vendors / banks/mlb, etc. pulling support really worries me.
    Laura Knotek and gmlongo like this.
    04-21-2015 03:05 PM
    I will be worried when markets with decent market share begin to have apps pulled.
    04-21-2015 03:10 PM
    I'm more concerned than frustrated. I want a flagship phone. The number of app vendors / banks/mlb, etc. pulling support really worries me.
    That may have summed up the reason of my post...:)

I say one thing...us Microsoft fans have patience...
    Laura Knotek, Jazmac and boxa72 like this.
    04-21-2015 03:11 PM
    I am with you man and trust me so are many people. I love Microsoft so I gave the WP8 a chance, good OS, loved it, but lack of apps has cause me to be done with it.

For me it was the everyday little things that caused to be start disliking WP. Every time I went to go buy a product that you can use with your phone, turns out they only made the specifications for Apple or Google. No love for Windows Phone. Now is that Microsoft's fault? Yes or no. Microsoft just came too late in the game instead of taking the chance when they could have when Iphone came out. Remember that MS actually had a Palm type phone in the 90s and once again the company's failure to market its product, led to MS losing the phone market. Think about it, if MS had done it right, today all those Iphone fanboys and whatnot, would be actually MS fanboys.

This experience has taught me that as a consumer, fanboyism isn't really worth it. Buy the best product that whatever company is offering at the time. For me I am heading back to Android Platform.

I hope MS can be on the top one day, I wouldn't mind using the fluid OS that Window Phones have.
    04-21-2015 03:14 PM
    They all do it. From the oldest android to the latest. They are all smoother than silk when they come right out the box. Get some apps loaded up over time and they become very clunky. I have an HTC M8 running android for work and it was smooth when I got it. Loaded up some apps and now I hate those times I need to use it. Its a clunky phone just like the others. My 1520 never skipped a beat.
    How long did it take? I've been using a Moto X for a little over a month, and no lag so far.

I'm testing Windows 10 on my 920.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-21-2015 03:21 PM
    How long did it take? I've been using a Moto X for a little over a month, and no lag so far.
    I haven't rebooted my phone for almost a month. I'll race any 1520 anywhere, anytime, doing anything.

The idea that Androids lag after you start using them is an old fashioned notion that mostly went away with more recent versions of Android. It actually was a problem a couple years ago.

You probably won't ever see lag on your Moto X. My wife had the 2013 model for a year, and it was as fast after a year as it was new out of the box.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 03:35 PM
    Haven't seen any lag whatsoever on my Note 4 and it's been running like a dream since I got it 6 months ago. I'm still heavily invested with MS though and probably always will be. i7 Pro 3, Xbox one and 360 (GOW ltd edition still going strong along with a MW2 original ltd edition) W10 preview laptops and i7 desktop running everything else I need.

I still have a 1020 64gb yellow and a 930 and still use them but as with most people have found the ms apps are better on android or ios. My work iPhone 6+ carries everything I need from the ms stable on a daily basis. I really hope W10 is going to be good, although i'm using different os for my personal and work phones I would rather stick to MS.

They have the know how and the vision but only time will tell if they can pull it off. I used to buy Nokia's purely for the camera but when I bought a Panasonic dmc-cm1 I stopped using the 1020 and 930 when I wanted to limit how much I was carrying for photography. I can't see MS giving is another cult 41 mega pixel phone but I live in hope. Android development and features seem to be moving at light speed . I don't think there is anything MS can innovate with to beat a CM1. Hope I am proved wrong but time will tell but as you can see I still would love to see an imaging flagship running W10.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 04:11 PM
    I haven't rebooted my phone for almost a month. I'll race any 1520 anywhere, anytime, doing anything.

The idea that Androids lag after you start using them is an old fashioned notion that mostly went away with more recent versions of Android. It actually was a problem a couple years ago.

You probably won't ever see lag on your Moto X. My wife had the 2013 model for a year, and it was as fast after a year as it was new out of the box.
    Some lag. A friend got a Moto G and while it had a GB of RAM some OS bug meant it was terrible. I didn't believe him but he showed it not even able to play Pandora while browsing. A known issue on a mainstream device. Maybe they've fixed that by now, and maybe newer devices remain smoother, but unlike iOS, Android is not know for lag free operation.

Microsoft are far from perfect too though. WP8.1 was noticeably more laggy than 8.0 which to me was a disappointment.

Back on topic, I think Windows 10 is a great OS update and am excited about current times. Lots of nice features and phones coming.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 04:25 PM
    Paul Thurrott chimed in a little on the future of "touch" with Windows 10:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...s-some-worries
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 04:36 PM
    Some lag. A friend got a Moto G and while it had a GB of RAM some OS bug meant it was terrible. I didn't believe him but he showed it not even able to play Pandora while browsing. A known issue on a mainstream device. Maybe they've fixed that by now, and maybe newer devices remain smoother, but unlike iOS, Android is not know for lag free operation.

Microsoft are far from perfect too though. WP8.1 was noticeably more laggy than 8.0 which to me was a disappointment.

Back on topic, I think Windows 10 is a great OS update and am excited about current times. Lots of nice features and phones coming.
    if 8.1 is laggy for you. Do a hard reset and do not restore your data. Everything will be silky smooth after.
    Laura Knotek and JohnStrk like this.
    04-21-2015 04:40 PM
    I am frustrated too. Not necessarily with MS but with the mobile world as a whole. I just can't believe companies like MLB with their unlimited resources won't bring out an At Bat APP for 2015. Then you look at Pebble, Snapchat to name a few that won't support it and you have to say it's only a matter of time before the whole thing blows up. My next phone just might be an Android phone.
    04-21-2015 05:45 PM

I'm testing Windows 10 on my 920.

About 3 months or so. Its clunky, apps launch slower than before, boot times slowed and the worse part is apps take a long time to install and update. I am convinced that not everybody can build on top of android. So far, Sammy and HTC both have this issue. S4 and HTC One M8 are from personal experience. "Customize" the launcher and hold on to your britches because you really begin to notice the launcher/OS hand off when you get a good amount of apps loaded. My 1520 just glides and its almost full.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 09:08 PM
    About 3 months or so. Its clunky, apps launch slower than before, boot times slowed and the worse part is apps take a long time to install and update. I am convinced that not everybody can build on top of android. So far, Sammy and HTC both have this issue. S4 and HTC One M8 are from personal experience. "Customize" the launcher and hold on to your britches because you really begin to notice the launcher/OS hand off when you get a good amount of apps loaded. My 1520 just glides and its almost full.
    I'll see what happens with my Moto X.

My Lumia 920 got an unfixable 'resuming' bug. Hopefully, Windows 10 will be better. I'm testing the fast builds.

04-21-2015 09:48 PM
    It's only frustrating when you see someone who's completely ignorant, disliking a device he never used before. Best point, phone salesmen. They're enough threads here to tell the tale that salesmen who sell phones for a living somehow have a bad mouth when it comes with Windows Phone devices. While I cannot blame the salesmen here in Canada since all we have is the 1020 for flagship and that's it. We do have the 635,640,830 and 530 I believe and that's about it, of course there's BLU at the Microsoft stores online but you'll never see them in an actual store (besides maybe a retail Microsoft Store).
    04-21-2015 09:52 PM
    I'm 100% all Microsoft, no frustrations.
    04-21-2015 10:17 PM
    Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...
    Microsoft is a business not a sports team. I use their products and continue to do so because they suit my needs. I will never embrace some silly concept of being a fan of a tool. BTW, listing all the stuff you have is downright silly. All it does is convey some laughable idea that since you own a bunch of stuff (as an individual) you have more of a say. You are entitled to your opinion and can participate in the beta programs and you have the same influence as any other individual. As it stands all the stuff you own costs less than what many small business spend in a year and larger business spend in a month - genuinely large business will drop more than that in a week, I manage operations for a small, just past startup, consulting firm and I have certainly spent more in less than a year.

As for "all in" and "grand slams" and "hardcore fans" those are self ascribed values and nothing more. You will also find that, traditionally, those who are the real fans of something are the ones who will tolerate less than grand slams, or do you think Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox fans (for a century) and Chicago Cubs fans in perpetuity were/are considered lesser than others. Fan, BTW, is derived from fanatic which never requires objective satisfaction since fanaticism is tied to belief rather than reality. Long and short of it is you are either not all in or are not a hardcore fan if you demand grand slams. On my front, I identify with none of the above and do not demand grand slams at all. I expect products that meet my needs....
    04-21-2015 10:23 PM
89 1234