04-27-2015 10:35 PM
89 1234
tools
    I'll see what happens with my Moto X.

My Lumia 920 got an unfixable 'resuming' bug. Hopefully, Windows 10 will be better. I'm testing the fast builds.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    The resuming message is not a bug in the OS. It is a message displayed when the OS knows that the app will take time to load (based on the complexity of operation) on slower processors. You don't see it on L1520 or newer & faster processors.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 11:26 PM
    The resuming message is not a bug in the OS. It is a message displayed when the OS knows that the app will take time to load (based on the complexity of operation) on slower processors. You don't see it on L1520 or newer & faster processors.
    I didn't have major issues with 'resuming' until early in March and hadn't added any additional apps. Hard reset didn't help.
    04-21-2015 11:43 PM
    Why be frustrated about an OS that's not even in Beta? I think Microsoft has come a long way in the last few years especially bring the end users in to evaluate at an early stage. The 1520 is still an immensely powerful phone and I can still see me using mine by the end of this year even if a new flagship is released. The Windows ecosystem is in really good shape at the moment and I'm seeing more people on a daily basis using Windows Phone. Some of the budget tablets around at the moment are great value. I'm quite happy with the windows ecosystem it just works reliably and with what I see in 10 it's getting better. It takes time to develop and test for all the hardware and software combinations not like the fruity set who only have to develop to their own hardware.
    Personally I'm quite enjoying playing with the 10 preview and when it's ready it will be an excellent system yes there is some bugs but they are getting fixed quickly. I think Microsoft is coming out with some very innovative products and software and Windows Phone is far superior to iOS and Android in my opinion. OSX on every update seems to break something.
    My only complaint about Windows Phone is lack of Bluetooth Keyboard WP 8.1 but that will come soon, other than that have no plans to change especially after having a look at the new Galaxy edge 6 which froze up repeatedly whilst having a demo of it for a new IT project.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-22-2015 04:14 AM
    Android has come a long way, from it HTC EVO days.
    04-22-2015 06:55 AM
    I'm frustrated by my inability to see a Windows phone before I buy it. Now I know what BlackBerry fans in the States are going through.

No store anywhere near me had one. I asked Best Buy to order me one in so I could take a look at it. They can't even get one.

In the end I ordered directly from Rogers. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I don't understand carriers. Wouldn't a variety be a nice thing to offer? My local Rogers is an apple store apparently. All they have on display are apple. Best buy has tons of phones. About 100 androids, several apple, 3 BlackBerry and zero windows.

Even in the Rogers website - there are 26 Apple phones and only 2 Windows phones. It's no wonder Windows doesn't have a presence in Canada.
    etad putta likes this.
    04-22-2015 07:24 AM
    I'm frustrated by my inability to see a Windows phone before I buy it. Now I know what BlackBerry fans in the States are going through.

No store anywhere near me had one. I asked Best Buy to order me one in so I could take a look at it. They can't even get one.

In the end I ordered directly from Rogers. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I don't understand carriers. Wouldn't a variety be a nice thing to offer? My local Rogers is an apple store apparently. All they have on display are apple. Best buy has tons of phones. About 100 androids, several apple, 3 BlackBerry and zero windows.

Even in the Rogers website - there are 26 Apple phones and only 2 Windows phones. It's no wonder Windows doesn't have a presence in Canada.
    It is the commission. Variety is good but what's the point filling shelves with devices that even if sell, won't make much money? Rather fill with variety of phones that will bring it big chunk.
    a5cent likes this.
    04-22-2015 07:30 AM
    Why be frustrated about an OS that's not even in Beta? I think Microsoft has come a long way in the last few years especially bring the end users in to evaluate at an early stage. The 1520 is still an immensely powerful phone and I can still see me using mine by the end of this year even if a new flagship is released. The Windows ecosystem is in really good shape at the moment and I'm seeing more people on a daily basis using Windows Phone. Some of the budget tablets around at the moment are great value. I'm quite happy with the windows ecosystem it just works reliably and with what I see in 10 it's getting better. It takes time to develop and test for all the hardware and software combinations not like the fruity set who only have to develop to their own hardware.

Personally I'm quite enjoying playing with the 10 preview and when it's ready it will be an excellent system yes there is some bugs but they are getting fixed quickly. I think Microsoft is coming out with some very innovative products and software and Windows Phone is far superior to iOS and Android in my opinion. OSX on every update seems to break something.

My only complaint about Windows Phone is lack of Bluetooth Keyboard WP 8.1 but that will come soon, other than that have no plans to change especially after having a look at the new Galaxy edge 6 which froze up repeatedly whilst having a demo of it for a new IT project.

If I am right, you can use Bluetooth keyboard on Wp8.1 GDR 2.
    04-22-2015 07:35 AM
    Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...
    Microsoft's now betting everything on Windows 10. It's their saving grace right now. And for flagship phones, it will be released along with W10 for Phones which is around September if I'm not mistaken. So all of us here have to just wait. I know it's frustrating, but I'm also excited to see a new Microsoft.

However, if they disappoint with W10 for phones then I guess it's time to leave.
    04-22-2015 07:40 AM
    As a tech enthusiast, I have the opinion that going 'all in' (on anything) is a big mistake. Being a (big) fan of a certain brand is completely fine, but 'going all in' suggests you don't care what kind of other products are out there and what qualities they have, you simply don't care and just don't want them. Rather than 'going all in', I'd rather be a fan of 'good tech products', always looking out for new products, and enjoy the best no matter what brand.

Now that that's out of the way, five months ago I had been without a Windows-based device for about seven years except for my Windows 7 home desktop computer which I use for gaming. Now, I have a Windows Phone, two Windows 8.1 tablets, a Windows 8.1 Intel NUC, and Office 365 and Xbox Music subscriptions. I'm also thinking about getting a Microsoft Band, and it is very likely that before the end of the year I'll get myself some version of Surface. Not only that, I'm actually feeling excited about adding more Windows-based devices to my collection in the future, and can't wait to experience Windows 10.

My point is, from my point of view, this early 2015 is the best Microsoft has looked in many many years, and it's looking to get better. At least in my eyes, the products in general look solid, and the future is looking pretty bright. I think Nadella has done an extremely great job pushing Microsoft forward this past year. I don't think Windows 10 needs to be a 'grand slam'. Microsoft isn't going to suddenly take over everything with one product, and it doesn't need to. What it does need to do is to move forward consistently and put out solid products, and I think it's been doing that just fine.

Remember, this is coming from someone who before five months ago, for 5+ years, only had Android and iOS mobile devices (and still does use some of them daily right now). I think Microsoft land is looking pretty good right now, and it's a mistake to get frustrated. I won't be surprised if it's your 'all in' attitude that gets you frustrated. There will be no 'perfect' brand that has the best everything, so I can tell you right now that Microsoft won't be that, but neither will the others.
    tgp and boxa72 like this.
    04-22-2015 12:03 PM
    If they don't support the 1520, what will they support? Anyhoo, I just rolled mine back to Denim over the weekend. It was nice to get a peek into what's coming but I'll wait until the actual release. Using the Windows Recovery Tool was a breeze and the longest part was actually downloading the 1.62GB firmware. We have these options available to us yet people still complain, go figure.
    They seem to have no problem supporting Apple and Android products just fine, maybe better than ours. But that's old news...
    04-22-2015 02:22 PM
    I would have to say as a long time Windows Phone user, and I am 1 of the few who had a phone on Windows before Pocket PC Phone Edition hit the market, it has been a long long frustrating ride. I was frustrated by Audiovox at the start because they didn't want their product working on a low end PDA. Then I fell in love with my first actual Windows Phone another Audiovox ( made by HTC), to again be frustrated when no update for Windows Mobile 2003 SE to WinMo 5 and 6. However XDA fixed that. After a good time with my HTC HD2, frustration with no jump from 6.5.3 to Windows Phone 7...again XDA fixed that. HTC Radar.....not the best phone but ok, and the hell storm of no jump to Windows Phone 8 from 7.

With the good there has always been the bad. However it was never enough to push me away.....even when Microsoft gets caught out in a lie.

In a way we all are the abused spouse sitting at home wishing our partner would change for the better, all the time seeing only the good.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Microsoft here, I am and have always been a Fan/Customer/Supporter but after this long the sparkle has dulled.
    Add my latest frustration of not having an option for a Microsoft powered Watch.

I would have to say in more then one way Windows 10 is their last shot at keeping a market in the Mobile section. With each new release they have in the past pushed away people with what they have done, just ask the many who were on new contracts when the switch from WP7 to WP8 happened. Many people were left with a bad taste in their mouths from that one.

I can only hope they learned something from that......because if there is even the hint of a repeat of past troubles, I think you will see Microsoft make one last change to a PC OS and Cloud Service only company. It's Mobile division will follow Blackberry into a fight to stay alive and not bleed tons of cash out huge open veins.
    Laura Knotek and boxa72 like this.
    04-22-2015 02:25 PM
    They seem to have no problem supporting Apple and Android products just fine, maybe better than ours. But that's old news...
    Really? So every Android user on KitKat already has their Lollipop update right? Yes, Apple seems to push updates on a very consistent basis to all their devices but they are far from perfect. Fact is, lately they've been showing a ***** in their armor with so many bugs since iOS 8. But as you said, that's old news.
    Laura Knotek and Jazmac like this.
    04-22-2015 02:38 PM
    Really? So every Android user on KitKat already has their Lollipop update right? Yes, Apple seems to push updates on a very consistent basis to all their devices but they are far from perfect. Fact is, lately they've been showing a ***** in their armor with so many bugs since iOS 8. But as you said, that's old news.
    That's true. There are also many people over at Android Central who don't like the Lollipop update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    garak0410 likes this.
    04-22-2015 02:49 PM
    That's true. There are also many people over at Android Central who don't like the Lollipop update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Not just there. Its not very popular in a lot of places. AT&T still hasn't pushed it out for my M8 yet.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-22-2015 03:16 PM
    I think you misread that. He was talking about Microsoft products on other platforms, which seem to be supported better by Microsoft than their counterparts on Windows platform.
    etad putta likes this.
    04-22-2015 03:25 PM
    I think you misread that. He was talking about Microsoft products on other platforms, which seem to be supported better by Microsoft than their counterparts on Windows platform.
    He was replying to a reply that I had made regarding support for certain devices. If he went off the rails to bring in software then sorry, I missed that left turn at Albuquerque.
    04-22-2015 04:00 PM
    He was replying to a reply that I had made regarding support for certain devices. If he went off the rails to bring in software then sorry, I missed that left turn at Albuquerque.
    Not blaming you at all for misunderstanding. He could have specified that 'they' mean Microsoft. I was just clarifying, because the next few posts after yours seem to be discussing about that wrong turn 😃
    04-22-2015 04:07 PM
    Not blaming you at all for misunderstanding. He could have specified that 'they' mean Microsoft. I was just clarifying, because the next few posts after yours seem to be discussing about that wrong turn 😃
    If I was wrong, I was wrong. Don't be afraid to point it out. We don't bite and those of who do are vaccinated.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and boxa72 like this.
    04-22-2015 08:40 PM
    If I was wrong, I was wrong. Don't be afraid to point it out. We don't bite and those of who do are vaccinated.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Not wrong.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-23-2015 09:48 AM
    As a tech enthusiast, I have the opinion that going 'all in' (on anything) is a big mistake. Being a (big) fan of a certain brand is completely fine, but 'going all in' suggests you don't care what kind of other products are out there and what qualities they have, you simply don't care and just don't want them. Rather than 'going all in', I'd rather be a fan of 'good tech products', always looking out for new products, and enjoy the best no matter what brand.

Now that that's out of the way, five months ago I had been without a Windows-based device for about seven years except for my Windows 7 home desktop computer which I use for gaming. Now, I have a Windows Phone, two Windows 8.1 tablets, a Windows 8.1 Intel NUC, and Office 365 and Xbox Music subscriptions. I'm also thinking about getting a Microsoft Band, and it is very likely that before the end of the year I'll get myself some version of Surface. Not only that, I'm actually feeling excited about adding more Windows-based devices to my collection in the future, and can't wait to experience Windows 10.

My point is, from my point of view, this early 2015 is the best Microsoft has looked in many many years, and it's looking to get better. At least in my eyes, the products in general look solid, and the future is looking pretty bright. I think Nadella has done an extremely great job pushing Microsoft forward this past year. I don't think Windows 10 needs to be a 'grand slam'. Microsoft isn't going to suddenly take over everything with one product, and it doesn't need to. What it does need to do is to move forward consistently and put out solid products, and I think it's been doing that just fine.

Remember, this is coming from someone who before five months ago, for 5+ years, only had Android and iOS mobile devices (and still does use some of them daily right now). I think Microsoft land is looking pretty good right now, and it's a mistake to get frustrated. I won't be surprised if it's your 'all in' attitude that gets you frustrated. There will be no 'perfect' brand that has the best everything, so I can tell you right now that Microsoft won't be that, but neither will the others.
    Well, I should have named the thread to say more cautiously optimistic.

Not that I used these recent Windows Phone apps that have been pulled, it is kind of hard not to be concerned. One wonders if they have even heard about Universal Apps and such. I do have an iPad but I just don't like using it. I do prefer the Windows Devices, even if they are a little clunky has tablets.

My Lumia ICON still rocks but would still like my eye on a future upgrade and right now, if my ICON died, I'd only have the HTC One M8 (workplace is on Verizon) to get until a flagship is released. My ICON is in an Otterbox (which is actually a nice one for the ICON) and I treat it quite well... :)
    04-23-2015 04:45 PM
    I think a lot of people here summed it up for me. The app-gap, comparison of productivity apps, mail, browser support.

My brother got me going on about Blizzard's new phone release Hearthstone for iPhone and Android. He says, "I can play Hearthstone on my phone. Can you?" Ever since then I've been looking to get an iPhone. I'll wait until my contract is up, which is in February.

I'm also a little frustrated with Microsoft, too. Apple releases the Apple Watch but it's proprietary to iPhone. Android (Google) had their Gmail and Google browsers for both iPhone and Android. Microsoft makes all of their products available for all phones; Office, Band, MSN etc. But on Windows Phone, they work half as good and if any of them are updated, we need to wait for another OS update.
    boxa72 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-23-2015 05:25 PM
    Actually, I'd argue Microsoft is the most interesting it's been in years and it's a exciting time to be a fan. It's just a evolving world. Software is more key these days than hardware and I think Microsoft realized that. It's why there putting out everything everywhere and making it as good as possible on those platforms. I actually think windows 10 will be very well received, but even so we are seeing a shift away from PC's for most computing tasks. But PCs are still needed.

As far as windows phone, it's honestly going to depend on windows 10. I think it has the best opportunity it's ever had to catch on finally, but Microsoft needs flagship devices. And it's going to depend on if universal apps finally close the app gap or not. Because regardless of what some may think, apps are extremely important.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-24-2015 09:17 AM
    Give Microsoft some time. Android was suffering like WPs once. But look at them now. I think after 3/4 years there won't be much difference between iOS, Android and WP. Then ppl will only switch phones for the looks.
    We already gave Microsoft more than 2 years and a half since WP8.
    And I have to disagree about Android's early days.. Google pushed out a major release roughly every 6months back at that time.
    When Ms releases W10 it will be almost 3 years since WP8 and it will be the 2nd major release only.
    As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't show a great commitment to this platform.. But that's just my opinion..
    theefman likes this.
    04-24-2015 09:33 AM
    We already gave Microsoft more than 2 years and a half since WP8.
    And I have to disagree about Android's early days.. Google pushed out a major release roughly every 6months back at that time.
    When Ms releases W10 it will be almost 3 years since WP8 and it will be the 2nd major release only.
    As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't show a great commitment to this platform.. But that's just my opinion..
    One reason for that would be that Android is open-sourced whereas WP is not. Microsoft has a limited set of people working on WP, whereas Google basically has the world for Android.
    04-24-2015 09:41 AM
    One reason for that would be that Android is open-sourced whereas WP is not. Microsoft has a limited set of people working on WP, whereas Google basically has the world for Android.
    I believe the difference has more to do with timing. Android was in its infancy when it only had the iPhone as direct competition, and the iPhone at the time was fledgling. Microsoft's competition today is very mature, and have been setting the standard in the industry for many years now.
    04-24-2015 09:48 AM
89 1234