Frustrated To Be A Microsoft Fan Right Now?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I would have to say as a long time Windows Phone user, and I am 1 of the few who had a phone on Windows before Pocket PC Phone Edition hit the market, it has been a long long frustrating ride. I was frustrated by Audiovox at the start because they didn't want their product working on a low end PDA. Then I fell in love with my first actual Windows Phone another Audiovox ( made by HTC), to again be frustrated when no update for Windows Mobile 2003 SE to WinMo 5 and 6. However XDA fixed that. After a good time with my HTC HD2, frustration with no jump from 6.5.3 to Windows Phone 7...again XDA fixed that. HTC Radar.....not the best phone but ok, and the hell storm of no jump to Windows Phone 8 from 7.

With the good there has always been the bad. However it was never enough to push me away.....even when Microsoft gets caught out in a lie.

In a way we all are the abused spouse sitting at home wishing our partner would change for the better, all the time seeing only the good.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Microsoft here, I am and have always been a Fan/Customer/Supporter but after this long the sparkle has dulled.
Add my latest frustration of not having an option for a Microsoft powered Watch.

I would have to say in more then one way Windows 10 is their last shot at keeping a market in the Mobile section. With each new release they have in the past pushed away people with what they have done, just ask the many who were on new contracts when the switch from WP7 to WP8 happened. Many people were left with a bad taste in their mouths from that one.

I can only hope they learned something from that......because if there is even the hint of a repeat of past troubles, I think you will see Microsoft make one last change to a PC OS and Cloud Service only company. It's Mobile division will follow Blackberry into a fight to stay alive and not bleed tons of cash out huge open veins.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They seem to have no problem supporting Apple and Android products just fine, maybe better than ours. But that's old news...

Really? So every Android user on KitKat already has their Lollipop update right? Yes, Apple seems to push updates on a very consistent basis to all their devices but they are far from perfect. Fact is, lately they've been showing a chink in their armor with so many bugs since iOS 8. But as you said, that's old news.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Really? So every Android user on KitKat already has their Lollipop update right? Yes, Apple seems to push updates on a very consistent basis to all their devices but they are far from perfect. Fact is, lately they've been showing a chink in their armor with so many bugs since iOS 8. But as you said, that's old news.
That's true. There are also many people over at Android Central who don't like the Lollipop update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Newcron

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I think you misread that. He was talking about Microsoft products on other platforms, which seem to be supported better by Microsoft than their counterparts on Windows platform.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you misread that. He was talking about Microsoft products on other platforms, which seem to be supported better by Microsoft than their counterparts on Windows platform.

He was replying to a reply that I had made regarding support for certain devices. If he went off the rails to bring in software then sorry, I missed that left turn at Albuquerque.

Newcron

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
He was replying to a reply that I had made regarding support for certain devices. If he went off the rails to bring in software then sorry, I missed that left turn at Albuquerque.

Not blaming you at all for misunderstanding. He could have specified that 'they' mean Microsoft. I was just clarifying, because the next few posts after yours seem to be discussing about that wrong turn 😃

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not blaming you at all for misunderstanding. He could have specified that 'they' mean Microsoft. I was just clarifying, because the next few posts after yours seem to be discussing about that wrong turn 😃

If I was wrong, I was wrong. Don't be afraid to point it out. We don't bite and those of who do are vaccinated.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
As a tech enthusiast, I have the opinion that going 'all in' (on anything) is a big mistake. Being a (big) fan of a certain brand is completely fine, but 'going all in' suggests you don't care what kind of other products are out there and what qualities they have, you simply don't care and just don't want them. Rather than 'going all in', I'd rather be a fan of 'good tech products', always looking out for new products, and enjoy the best no matter what brand.

Now that that's out of the way, five months ago I had been without a Windows-based device for about seven years except for my Windows 7 home desktop computer which I use for gaming. Now, I have a Windows Phone, two Windows 8.1 tablets, a Windows 8.1 Intel NUC, and Office 365 and Xbox Music subscriptions. I'm also thinking about getting a Microsoft Band, and it is very likely that before the end of the year I'll get myself some version of Surface. Not only that, I'm actually feeling excited about adding more Windows-based devices to my collection in the future, and can't wait to experience Windows 10.

My point is, from my point of view, this early 2015 is the best Microsoft has looked in many many years, and it's looking to get better. At least in my eyes, the products in general look solid, and the future is looking pretty bright. I think Nadella has done an extremely great job pushing Microsoft forward this past year. I don't think Windows 10 needs to be a 'grand slam'. Microsoft isn't going to suddenly take over everything with one product, and it doesn't need to. What it does need to do is to move forward consistently and put out solid products, and I think it's been doing that just fine.

Remember, this is coming from someone who before five months ago, for 5+ years, only had Android and iOS mobile devices (and still does use some of them daily right now). I think Microsoft land is looking pretty good right now, and it's a mistake to get frustrated. I won't be surprised if it's your 'all in' attitude that gets you frustrated. There will be no 'perfect' brand that has the best everything, so I can tell you right now that Microsoft won't be that, but neither will the others.

Well, I should have named the thread to say more cautiously optimistic.

Not that I used these recent Windows Phone apps that have been pulled, it is kind of hard not to be concerned. One wonders if they have even heard about Universal Apps and such. I do have an iPad but I just don't like using it. I do prefer the Windows Devices, even if they are a little clunky has tablets.

My Lumia ICON still rocks but would still like my eye on a future upgrade and right now, if my ICON died, I'd only have the HTC One M8 (workplace is on Verizon) to get until a flagship is released. My ICON is in an Otterbox (which is actually a nice one for the ICON) and I treat it quite well... :)

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I think a lot of people here summed it up for me. The app-gap, comparison of productivity apps, mail, browser support.

My brother got me going on about Blizzard's new phone release Hearthstone for iPhone and Android. He says, "I can play Hearthstone on my phone. Can you?" Ever since then I've been looking to get an iPhone. I'll wait until my contract is up, which is in February.

I'm also a little frustrated with Microsoft, too. Apple releases the Apple Watch but it's proprietary to iPhone. Android (Google) had their Gmail and Google browsers for both iPhone and Android. Microsoft makes all of their products available for all phones; Office, Band, MSN etc. But on Windows Phone, they work half as good and if any of them are updated, we need to wait for another OS update.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I'd argue Microsoft is the most interesting it's been in years and it's a exciting time to be a fan. It's just a evolving world. Software is more key these days than hardware and I think Microsoft realized that. It's why there putting out everything everywhere and making it as good as possible on those platforms. I actually think windows 10 will be very well received, but even so we are seeing a shift away from PC's for most computing tasks. But PCs are still needed.

As far as windows phone, it's honestly going to depend on windows 10. I think it has the best opportunity it's ever had to catch on finally, but Microsoft needs flagship devices. And it's going to depend on if universal apps finally close the app gap or not. Because regardless of what some may think, apps are extremely important.

Evronian

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Give Microsoft some time. Android was suffering like WPs once. But look at them now. I think after 3/4 years there won't be much difference between iOS, Android and WP. Then ppl will only switch phones for the looks.
We already gave Microsoft more than 2 years and a half since WP8.
And I have to disagree about Android's early days.. Google pushed out a major release roughly every 6months back at that time.
When Ms releases W10 it will be almost 3 years since WP8 and it will be the 2nd major release only.
As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't show a great commitment to this platform.. But that's just my opinion..

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
We already gave Microsoft more than 2 years and a half since WP8.
And I have to disagree about Android's early days.. Google pushed out a major release roughly every 6months back at that time.
When Ms releases W10 it will be almost 3 years since WP8 and it will be the 2nd major release only.
As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't show a great commitment to this platform.. But that's just my opinion..
One reason for that would be that Android is open-sourced whereas WP is not. Microsoft has a limited set of people working on WP, whereas Google basically has the world for Android.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One reason for that would be that Android is open-sourced whereas WP is not. Microsoft has a limited set of people working on WP, whereas Google basically has the world for Android.

I believe the difference has more to do with timing. Android was in its infancy when it only had the iPhone as direct competition, and the iPhone at the time was fledgling. Microsoft's competition today is very mature, and have been setting the standard in the industry for many years now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe the difference has more to do with timing. Android was in its infancy when it only had the iPhone as direct competition, and the iPhone at the time was fledgling. Microsoft's competition today is very mature, and have been setting the standard in the industry for many years now.
I agree. It also helped here in the US that the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive. Android was the alternative for customers who had other carriers.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It also helped here in the US that the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive. Android was the alternative for customers who had other carriers.

Microsoft had a beast of a phone at the time (HD2) to do serious battle with Android and iPhone but it was stuck on T-Mobile.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft had a beast of a phone at the time (HD2) to do serious battle with Android and iPhone but it was stuck on T-Mobile.
Verizon also ran a fantastic marketing campaign for Android. I never heard of the HTC Dream on T-Mobile until I joined the forums, but I still remember Verizon's original Droid commercials on TV.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not frustrated, don't care about flagship as I always buy my phone and I am not paying $700 for it(but I don't want a 1030). I have all the app I needed, I only use 10 of them really.
But I do want MS to make WP dockable, **** me off everytime when people txt me a web link and I have to save it on onedrive or email it to myself in order to view it on big screen. If it is dockable it will make my life a lot easier.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I never will understand why Microsoft didn't put pressure on HTC to keep the HD2 alive. I know HTC tried to keep the HD line going with the HD7, but it was never as good as the HD2.
The Hackers/Rom Builders/Tech Heads at XDA had a field day with the device. Any number of WinMo 6.5 roms to WP7 Droid ICS all the way up to Windows RT.
The HD2 was such a beast, Microsoft should have done with that model what they have done with Nokia Polycarb bodies, the HD2 would have been an awesome Surface Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb