05-27-2015 09:39 PM
56 123
tools
    BB10 sucks.
    I'm with xandros9 on this, I still think BB 10 is the best mobile OS there is. But BlackBerry as a business is still a no buy as far as I'm concerned.
    xandros9 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-26-2015 08:44 AM
    I think they should then have windows phone on a physical qwerty keyboard and keep the the touch keyboard to their Lumia division. It would be nice to have the option of having windows phone with or without touch keyboard.
    nohra and Vorkosigan like this.
    05-26-2015 08:49 AM
    If we were talking BlackBerry of old, when most all business phones were BlackBerrys, I'd say go for it. Make Microsoft THE name in business mobile. But that train's left the station. Getting BlackBerry now, with how slim WP market share already is, would look too much like the Kmart/Sears merger - a marriage of two dying entities hoping somehow they can make it together.

Microsoft has too much going for W10 to risk picking up BB.
    05-26-2015 09:31 AM
    I think they should then have windows phone on a physical qwerty keyboard and keep the the touch keyboard to their Lumia division. It would be nice to have the option of having windows phone with or without touch keyboard.
    I know I voted "no", but this would be a good reason to say yes! I've even looked into the Passport more than I would have expected just because it has a physical keyboard.

Although, now with WordFlow, I find my desire for a physical keyboard to be decreasing, but what I really want now is just some ARROW KEYS TO MOVE THE CURSOR AROUND!! I hate the method for moving it around in WP8.1 even more than I hated it in W8... that that was a tough thing for MS to achieve, but somehow they screwed it up even more!
    djeire84 and a5cent like this.
    05-26-2015 09:35 AM
    I know I voted "no", but this would be a good reason to say yes! I've even looked into the Passport more than I would have expected just because it has a physical keyboard.

Although, now with WordFlow, I find my desire for a physical keyboard to be decreasing, but what I really want now is just some ARROW KEYS TO MOVE THE CURSOR AROUND!! I hate the method for moving it around in WP8.1 even more than I hated it in W8... that that was a tough thing for MS to achieve, but somehow they screwed it up even more!

Yes yes and yes. A functioning cursor would be good. It does however come on Windows Phone 10. I had the tech preview and even that has its problems. Is it too much to ask? I think it is. Lol
    nohra likes this.
    05-26-2015 10:20 AM
    How does that change things for BlackBerry?
    Have you touched Blackberry 10? (in the same way many WP nay-sayers never used WP)
    I have, and I can assure you it does not "suck," in the same way Windows Phone does not "suck" like many claim.
    There's few barriers between me and switching to BB10 for that matter actually.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    05-26-2015 10:55 AM
    Have you touched Blackberry 10? (in the same way many WP nay-sayers never used WP)
    I have, and I can assure you it does not "suck," in the same way Windows Phone does not "suck" like many claim.
    There's few barriers between me and switching to BB10 for that matter actually.
    Opinions.

Good for you if you switch to BB10, but hurry up because sales are falling of a cliff. For this quarter the estimates are 700k-900k units. In a couple of quarters it could be zero, specially if they're acquired.
    05-26-2015 11:17 AM
    Guess they should if they want to see if 3 turkeys make an eagle..... otherwise its a terrible idea, adding another failed smartphone company to their (already failed) portfolio is pointless.
    05-26-2015 11:29 AM
    No even though BB has patents that may prove useful to MS.. They just bought Nokia, and still recovering from it..
    05-26-2015 11:42 AM
    My answer is a resounding NO.
    05-26-2015 11:47 AM
    think blackberry has a better chance as a services company rather than being a hardware company. As far as hardware goes, people want what they can use at both home and work, and not many people still use blackberry devices personally. I can honestly say I see more windows phones in use than blackberry phones. With that said, with blackberry rolling out their services to Android, IOS and WP, the reasoning behind making hardware is dwindling day by day.
    05-26-2015 11:56 AM
    This doesn't even seem plausible to me.

To those here though stating how Blackberry sucks, failing company, etc. I believe you are incorrect. At least in my opinion. Blackberry clearly did many things wrong and rested on their laurels back when they were the king. They fell behind the times considerably. However, BB10 is a fantastic operating system. I think too many have heard all of the nay saying over the years and all too quickly jump on the bandwagon of hating Blackberry without ever having tried BB10. And I don't mean you picked one up at your local AT&T store for five minutes. I mean actually used the phone for a while. There is a lot of fluidity within the OS and a lot of shortcuts and actions that make sense. I owned a Passport for a while and enjoyed it. A very solidly built, premium feeling phone. However, in the end, I prefer the UI of WP.

I don't see a situation in which Blackberry sells to Microsoft. Especially at $7M. John Chen has proven that things are turning around. He has done a fantastic job at the helm and I can see reasons for them to be optimistic.

I can see why Microsoft would want BB though. They IP/ Patents BB has is extensive. I can see that as a reason why, probably the only reason why. QNX alone is worth $700M. On a personal note, if Microsoft does buy BB, my shares would go up in BB which is a positive.
    05-26-2015 12:20 PM
    This doesn't even seem plausible to me.

To those here though stating how Blackberry sucks, failing company, etc. I believe you are incorrect. At least in my opinion. Blackberry clearly did many things wrong and rested on their laurels back when they were the king. They fell behind the times considerably. However, BB10 is a fantastic operating system. I think too many have heard all of the nay saying over the years and all too quickly jump on the bandwagon of hating Blackberry without ever having tried BB10. And I don't mean you picked one up at your local AT&T store for five minutes. I mean actually used the phone for a while. There is a lot of fluidity within the OS and a lot of shortcuts and actions that make sense. I owned a Passport for a while and enjoyed it. A very solidly built, premium feeling phone. However, in the end, I prefer the UI of WP.

I don't see a situation in which Blackberry sells to Microsoft. Especially at $7M. John Chen has proven that things are turning around. He has done a fantastic job at the helm and I can see reasons for them to be optimistic.

I can see why Microsoft would want BB though. They IP/ Patents BB has is extensive. I can see that as a reason why, probably the only reason why. QNX alone is worth $700M. On a personal note, if Microsoft does buy BB, my shares would go up in BB which is a positive.

BB10 has discoverability problems. Gestures aren't intuitive, people has to be trained or read instruction to use the device. The graphical aspect of the UI is boring, they improved a bit in the latest versions but It's still unattractive.
    Personally I don't like hubs and I think most people don't like them. A specialized app for each service is the most common usage pattern.
    I don't think BB10 adds much compared to the other OSs. In general, the OS is quite irrelevant these days. BlackBerry doesn't have other assets that could integrate into the OS to create more value. If BB10 disappears few would notice.

The last quarter was pretty awful, the growth of the software unit disappointed and Chen showed a lot weakness in the EC, admitting that the goal of $600 million in software revenue is impossible to reach organically. The stock crashed after that and the current stock price is mostly explained by the acquisition rumors. Things could change in the following quarters, but from what is publicly known now, Chen is failing.

I don't think BlackBerry's patents worth that much. In that case, what is stopping BlackBerry from unleashing that value? IP revenue is insignificant at the moment.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-26-2015 01:55 PM
    BB10 has discoverability problems. Gestures aren't intuitive, people has to be trained or read instruction to use the device. The graphical aspect of the UI is boring, they improved a bit in the latest versions but It's still unattractive.
    Personally I don't like hubs and I think most people don't like them. A specialized app for each service is the most common usage pattern.
    I don't think BB10 adds much compared to the other OSs. In general, the OS is quite irrelevant these days. BlackBerry doesn't have other assets that could integrate into the OS to create more value. If BB10 disappears few would notice.

The last quarter was pretty awful, the growth of the software unit disappointed and Chen showed a lot weakness in the EC, admitting that the goal of $600 million in software revenue is impossible to reach organically. The stock crashed after that and the current stock price is mostly explained by the acquisition rumors. Things could change in the following quarters, but from what is publicly known now, Chen is failing.

I don't think BlackBerry's patents worth that much. In that case, what is stopping BlackBerry from unleashing that value? IP revenue is insignificant at the moment.
    As you wrote to xandros9 earlier - opinions. I happen to OWN a Passport and I can unequivocally tell you that those issues you list are totally non-existent.

"Things could change in the following quarters, but from what is publicly known now, Chen is failing." Two consecutive positive earnings reports and you call that failing? Don't bother explaining.
    Laura Knotek, tgp, a5cent and 1 others like this.
    05-26-2015 02:07 PM

As you wrote to xandros9 earlier - opinions. I happen to OWN a Passport and I can unequivocally tell you that those issues you list are totally non-existent.
    I do agree that there is a learning curve to the gestures. From what I understand, when a new device is turned on, there is an on screen tutorial that pops up.

I tried the Z10 when it was new at a T-Mobile store. It was already on and set up. I fumbled around for 15 minutes, unable to do much of anything. I set it down, never to touch another BlackBerry device.

I had been a user of legacy BBOS devices previously, but I was clueless with BB10.

I've always been able to pick up and use any Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone without needing to read a manual.

If I gave up that quickly, I'm sure others did too.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    a5cent, HeyCori and Spectrum90 like this.
    05-26-2015 02:16 PM
    I've always been able to pick up and use any Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone without needing to read a manual.
    At the time OS 10 was released, unless you had experienced webOS you would be lost. Now that Android has been "Duarte-sized" since ICS, the gestures are not as foreign. From your Home Screen, you swipe left for apps (exactly like iOS and webOS before it). The notifications are a pull-down like iOS, Android and now WP. To close an app or multitask, you swipe up from the bottom, just like webOS.

This has not changed since the beginning but now that other OSes have followed suit, it's 2nd nature. The split-panel apps, swipes, etc. is all Matias Duarte. QNX "borrows" heavily from webOS and I'm surprised RIM didn't get sued by HP when the PlayBook came out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-26-2015 02:42 PM

I believe that we will have to disagree on a few of your key points here.

1. I do not believe that the gestures aren't intuitive, quite the opposite.
    2. I can understand that some may not like the hub, i know though that others do. I won't speculate on what percentage is which but I think that you form your own predetermined "facts".
    3. Your statements about Blackberry's growth and quarterly earnings seem off putting. I believe that your statements in regards to John Chen's failing is again your own predetermined "facts". I would prefer to stick to the numbers. Please read the following:

http://press.blackberry.com/content/...th_Quarter.pdf
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-26-2015 03:33 PM
    I believe that we will have to disagree on a few of your key points here.

1. I do not believe that the gestures aren't intuitive, quite the opposite.
    2. I can understand that some may not like the hub, i know though that others do. I won't speculate on what percentage is which but I think that you form your own predetermined "facts".
    3. Your statements about Blackberry's growth and quarterly earnings seem off putting. I believe that your statements in regards to John Chen's failing is again your own predetermined "facts". I would prefer to stick to the numbers. Please read the following:

http://press.blackberry.com/content/...th_Quarter.pdf

I don't see "hub apps" in the top places in any of the app stores. I think most people prefer to use each service with the official app to get the full experience.

The dying but extremely profitable SAF business is keeping BlackBerry alive, none of the other units are seeing much success. SAF is a time bomb, if they don't develop another business there is no point in keeping the company alive.
    The financial stabilization wasn't caused by a material improvement of the new businesses. It was caused by the downsizing of the extremely unprofitable hardware business.
    It's early, Software still could take off, but its results have been disappointing until now. Let's see next quarter.
    05-26-2015 04:17 PM
    Yes. MS should buy Blackberry.

Both companies have strong ties to the commercial side, and would certainly complement each other quite well with MS taking on the desktop side, while Blackberry could more than handle the mobile side of the equation.

Also a major point that was not mentioned is Blackberry's QNX system. Since Ford has announced their move away from Sync, Microsoft has largely fallen out of the automotive market with no real way to get back in. The purchase of Blackberry and QNX would give Microsoft access to a majority of the automotive market.

The rumors of Samsung and a few Chinese companies looking at it doesn't bode well, nor makes any real sense. Samsung is currently invested in Tizen and Android, and I can't see Xiamoi or even Lenovo taking over without intense scrutiny from the Canadian government. Feel free to go check the Crackberry forums. I've seen quite a few rumors ranging from Tim Hortons to Crackberry buying out Blackberry.

Then again... Personally. I've love to see Blackberry survive, and return to power in some form. The world deserves more than 3 mobile OSes. I guess I'd love to see a marketplace that isn't exclusively American. (Android, iOS, Windows Phone)
    05-26-2015 04:24 PM
    I don't see "hub apps" in the top places in any of the app stores.
    BB Hub is not an app, it's a core OS function as much as IE is to Windows Phone - cannot be deleted. BB has been using the universal inbox since forever and yes, there are still separate mail, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, SMS/MMS apps. They're all bundled with the OS unlike some others so the decision to use the Hub is purely at the user's discretion. Each individual app shows a notification in its icon, which I personally find redundant, but the choice is there.

As for the financials, I think you should find a respectable financial publication to get your information instead of a tech enthusiast site. You're very off base.
    05-26-2015 05:00 PM
    I would love to see Windows 10 on a Passport with the BB10 Hub and email client. I've been using an 830 now for 2 months and its upsetting to me how poor the email and text client are. There are a lot of things I like about this phone - but those 2 things are so critical to me and were so smooth and useful in BB10. Now I would rather use my computer than try and use my phones email.

That said - I doubt there's any truth in this rumour - although Microsoft would be a lot more palatable to the Canadian government than Lenovo.
    05-26-2015 06:59 PM
    Should Microsoft Buy BlackBerry?

No, I think they really shouldn't. As many have already said, it's just a lousy false rumor anyway.
    05-26-2015 07:08 PM
    BB Hub is not an app, it's a core OS function as much as IE is to Windows Phone - cannot be deleted. BB has been using the universal inbox since forever and yes, there are still separate mail, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, SMS/MMS apps. They're all bundled with the OS unlike some others so the decision to use the Hub is purely at the user's discretion. Each individual app shows a notification in its icon, which I personally find redundant, but the choice is there.

As for the financials, I think you should find a respectable financial publication to get your information instead of a tech enthusiast site. You're very off base.
    I meant "hub apps" in other platforms aren't popular, which suggests lack of demand for that use case.

I actually follow the company, so I'm quite familiar with the details.
    05-26-2015 08:19 PM
    At the time OS 10 was released, unless you had experienced webOS you would be lost. Now that Android has been "Duarte-sized" since ICS, the gestures are not as foreign. From your Home Screen, you swipe left for apps (exactly like iOS and webOS before it). The notifications are a pull-down like iOS, Android and now WP. To close an app or multitask, you swipe up from the bottom, just like webOS.

This has not changed since the beginning but now that other OSes have followed suit, it's 2nd nature. The split-panel apps, swipes, etc. is all Matias Duarte. QNX "borrows" heavily from webOS and I'm surprised RIM didn't get sued by HP when the PlayBook came out.
    There are three things wrong with your post:

1. On BB10 notifications are not accessed via a pull down, it's a swipe up and to the right.

2. To close an app the swipe up only works from within an app and only takes you to the open apps, you still have to tap the "X" to close the app.

3. No other mobile platform borrows gestures from BB10, most of the gestures BB10 has are BB specific. Yes, other platforms have gestures but they don't depend on them as the ONLY interaction method, those that do are usually using manufacturer software and it's not part of the base OS.

I do like BB10 and the gesture based interaction system is a totally unique way of interacting with a modern smartphone.
    05-27-2015 05:11 AM
    is it true
    05-27-2015 05:29 AM
56 123