05-27-2015 09:39 PM
56 123
tools
    BlackBerry's not very popular in my country. I have only ONE classmate out of the 300 or so using a BlackBerry Z10. Also I haven't seen any BB Users in my college or in general even, well other than people over 30s (Uncles, Aunts from abroad). So go for it Microsoft!!
    05-27-2015 07:32 AM
    There are three things wrong with your post:

1. On BB10 notifications are not accessed via a pull down, it's a swipe up and to the right. That's for the Hub, notifications come in at the top of the screen and are actionable.

2. To close an app the swipe up only works from within an app and only takes you to the open apps, you still have to tap the "X" to close the app. The swipe up gets you to the Active Frames. From there you can leave it and go to another app or close with another swipe up.

3. No other mobile platform borrows gestures from BB10, most of the gestures BB10 has are BB specific. Yes, other platforms have gestures but they don't depend on them as the ONLY interaction method, those that do are usually using manufacturer software and it's not part of the base OS. I didn't say others borrow from BB10, I said others have ripped off webOS. Because the "father" of webOS is now Google's Design Chief, swipes and gestures are more commonplace.

I do like BB10 and the gesture based interaction system is a totally unique way of interacting with a modern smartphone.
    The gist of my post was that many claimed BB10 to be unintuitive. When it was released, only webOS had gestures as the exclusive navigation method. Now, gestures are everywhere but the notion that BB10 is unintuitive or complicated persists.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-27-2015 08:39 AM
    I think microsoft should buy blackberry, that way it may push a broad stance on a stronger enterprise. I know there maybe some negative points about this as well, but someday we need to move on because the world and the market is constantly changing.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-27-2015 12:25 PM
    I think microsoft should buy blackberry, that way it may push a broad stance on a stronger enterprise. I know there maybe some negative points about this as well, but someday we need to move on because the world and the market is constantly changing.
    Microsoft definitely needs the enterprise sector to maintain a strong presence in mobile. However, buying BlackBerry for the sake of eliminating the competition is an expensive proposition. I'm quite sure Microsoft learned this invaluable lesson with the Nokia acquisition. With the recent trend of offering MS services on other platforms I think Microsoft may be on the way to establishing the brand in the mobile arena. I say build a better mousetrap and they won't need to buy anybody. The United States Army is BlackBerry's most important customer according to John Chen himself. Win them over and it's time to let the Fat Lady sing.
    Laura Knotek and neo158 like this.
    05-27-2015 01:19 PM
    Microsoft definitely needs the enterprise sector to maintain a strong presence in mobile. However, buying BlackBerry for the sake of eliminating the competition is an expensive proposition. I'm quite sure Microsoft learned this invaluable lesson with the Nokia acquisition. With the recent trend of offering MS services on other platforms I think Microsoft may be on the way to establishing the brand in the mobile arena. I say build a better mousetrap and they won't need to buy anybody. The United States Army is BlackBerry's most important customer according to John Chen himself. Win them over and it's time to let the Fat Lady sing.
    Maybe not buy all of blackberry, but just a small stake; a light partnership for a brief period of time like how Ford and Mazda had. Mazda platform, ford parts (and vice versa); Blackberry traditional keyboard and trackpad, Windows 10. I know it is sky's the limit thinking, but hey why not have fun with the idea?
    05-27-2015 08:32 PM
    Maybe not buy all of blackberry, but just a small stake; a light partnership for a brief period of time like how Ford and Mazda had. Mazda platform, ford parts (and vice versa); Blackberry traditional keyboard and trackpad, Windows 10. I know it is sky's the limit thinking, but hey why not have fun with the idea?
    Another item to consider is that deal BB struck with Samsung to provide security for Knox. I don't know if it's a contractual agreement.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-27-2015 09:39 PM
56 123