Tesco to switch to Windows smartphones

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is not on the news or anything but I work for a company called Tesco which is a British supermarket (and has store locations in some other European countries) will begin rolling out Windows Phones (probably Nokia ones) to managers and stores in the next few weeks which is great news.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"It is the third largest retailer in the world measured by profits and second-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues. It has stores in 12 countries across Asia and Europe and is the grocery market leader in the UK"

Tesco employees more than 500,000 people and the presence of Windows Phones here can be great as colleagues may see these phones and think wow I really like this and spread through word of mouth.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
when we begin to receive them, we'll probably get 2 in the small convenience stores and several in the much larger stores which is excellent.

They have already released a new app for windows phone called Tesco Calling and they have a "real Foods" app and their Tesco Mobile app, their groceries app was pulled from the store several months ago but I see it returning sometime soon.

An app has been developed for colleagues called inform to check stock in stores and details of deliveries, and as a business Tesco uses Microsoft's Yammer service.

I will try to dig out some more info if I can.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Does that mean they will finally get the Tesco Clubcard app to work properly on Windows phones?

(notice that it is currently not even available in the Store)

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Part of that is surely how the commitment of Tesco to Windows mobile affects their app user base? Both brands will be negatively impacted by not having their own apps available on the platform they choose to deploy to their workforce, if not yet another reason to consider them a laughing stock.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Part of that is surely how the commitment of Tesco to Windows mobile affects their app user base? Both brands will be negatively impacted by not having their own apps available on the platform they choose to deploy to their workforce, if not yet another reason to consider them a laughing stock.

The phones are being deployed to management. I fail to see how a consumer app affects the choice of phone Tesco, or any other company, selects for their management staff. Let's keep this thread on topic. Statements regarding the Tesco app belong in the appropriate forum and this isn't it.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I know Morrisons are using Surface tablets for stock control (where it was more popular to use iPads), not sure what managers phones are, as I haven't seen a Manager as yet...

Got to admit it wouldn't surprise me, in a trade magazine recently, every mobile advert was mentioning Windows Phone and it's built-in Office (no other OS was mentioned). So either MSFT are pouring money at the Telecoms Industry, or there's a change coming! Well certainly here in the UK...

I noticed on the recent Kantar WorldPanel that WinPhone in May is back at 9% (jumped up from 8% in April) market share, hopefully that'll increase in the coming months... Smartphone OS sales market share – Kantar Worldpanel ComTech

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster