Tesco to switch to Windows smartphones

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Tesco use Windows ruggedised PDAs for stock control etc.

So does Home Depot and just about every Fortune 500 company. Windows Mobile 6.5 is NOT dead, it's just not commercially available through normal retail channels. Glad you pointed that out.

This link is for the venerable Motorola ES400 Enterprise device. Check the dates of some of the software updates, you may be surprised how a 6 year-old device gets better updates than some current models.

https://portal.motorolasolutions.co...bile+Computers/Handheld+Computers/ES400_US-EN

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha. Think more along the lines of cheaper models.

They most likely will, I'm just hoping they don't as for some it might be the first time they have ever tried out a windows phone and a low end model may give them a poor experience thus putting them off completely. Not to mention they would most likely spread inaccurate information amongst friends and family

So does Home Depot and just about every Fortune 500 company. Windows Mobile 6.5 is NOT dead, it's just not commercially available through normal retail channels. Glad you pointed that out.

This link is for the venerable Motorola ES400 Enterprise device. Check the dates of some of the software updates, you may be surprised how a 6 year-old device gets better updates than some current models.

https://portal.motorolasolutions.co...bile+Computers/Handheld+Computers/ES400_US-EN

Yup, there are companies who still use Windows mobile 6.5 for instance M2Digital's repair technicians still - use the HTC Touch Pro 2 and predominately it's because of the stylus as it is easier to get e-signatures and their application still runs fine (as far I'm aware unless they upgraded this year). Why "fix" something that isn't broken?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I know companies who ship products with CE integrated. Still selling. That is where Microsoft are great. Long term business support.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So I got some info. Some stores are reporting they are receiving Nokia Lumia 535's for general use, still no news on what managers are receiving.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
So I got some info. Some stores are reporting they are receiving Nokia Lumia 535's for general use, still no news on what managers are receiving.

The Lumia 640 seems to be the phone of choice for business customers at the moment here in the UK, so I would guess that's what the managers will get. I somehow doubt Tesco, with their ongoing profitability issues are going to pay out for 830/930's.

Have Tesco moved over to the Surface tablets like Morrison's have?

G.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I work in an express store and have yet to receive any windows phones as of yet. No info on surface. Hope we get them soon so I can see what we are expecting. Even 935's for managers would be amazing, smart and sleek.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not surprising seeing as the MD was fired for fraud, they also posted record losses and are in a massive decline and closing stores all over the place - My company supplied Tesco with IT staff last year, lot of projects cancelled and restructure/cost cutting exercises, guess WP is the only option as they have a solid low/mid range devices.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 640 seems to be the phone of choice for business customers at the moment here in the UK, so I would guess that's what the managers will get. I somehow doubt Tesco, with their ongoing profitability issues are going to pay out for 830/930's.

Have Tesco moved over to the Surface tablets like Morrison's have?

G.

I think 925 for managers is an excellent choice beautiful and sleek and cheap about now, but stores are reporting 535's for general us

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
You would do better to the authorities decide that sort of thing rather than making wild accusations that could get you into trouble. AFAIK they are still looking into it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos