07-05-2015 04:48 PM
81 ... 234
    Microsoft can't go making official statements every time the press goes off the reservation with their "reports" based on speculation of speculated speculations.
    I hear you. I didn't mean they should respond to all the rumors... I'm really just saying rumors like this take off because WP has 1) been unsuccessful in general and 2) we've seen virtually nothing on the hardware front for nearly 2 years.

It's Microsoft's fault these doom and gloom seeds have been planted to begin with. While they don't need to respond every single time, because yes that would be ridiculous, it's pretty clear these stories have circulated well enough to concern people. A simple "remember we're launching hardware in a couple months guys?" would help show they at least support the platform. The silence is awkward. They haven't even bothered to deny the rumor.
    07-04-2015 05:00 PM
    I do understand the context.
    Actually you don't, because if you did we would not be having this conversation. Anyway I am done explaining it to you, it's obvious to anyone who reads the article what Thurrott meant.

I'd be happy to. I think that if we were to apply the "tough choices" phrase to Windows phone (let's remember that we're making a small leap here, as Nadella did not directly indicate it even applied to this) it would refer mostly to manufacturing costs for hardware. Right now, the market is flooded with Lumia devices. That means several things that are unfavorable to Microsoft.

For one, it makes the market far less appealing for OEMs that may be considering Windows 10 Mobile as the OS for their new phones. It also means Microsoft itself has to carry the hardware for the platform, which involves a lot of design and manufacturing costs that no doubt hit their bottom line. Moreover, Nadella thinks of Microsoft as a "software and services" company. Hardware is more of a party piece for show casing what their software and services can do when at their very best. If that's the strategy going forward, it makes a lot more sense to cut down on the number of devices they bring to market. Google doesn't make 50 Nexus devices to show off what Android can be.
    So this according to you is a tough choice for a division which has had thousands of employees laid off and faced factory closures? Simply reducing the number of devices available? It's not even a slap on the wrist, it's a strategy change and not really a tough choice to make.

On the other hand, if you mean they might sell off their phone manufacturing division and only focus on the Windows 10 mobile software, that is a possibility and which is what I believe they will do going forward. If they need only devices to showcase their software such as the Surface they don't really need the manufacturing capability they possess at the moment.
    07-05-2015 12:04 PM
    Actually you don't, because if you did we would not be having this conversation. Anyway I am done explaining it to you, it's obvious to anyone who reads the article what Thurrott meant.
    While it's obvious how you interpret what Thurrott meant, it's not obvious what Thurrott thinks those choices are. He does believe there are to be tough choices with Windows Phone. Tough choices does not mean "killing a product line." It could simply mean layoffs. Lets face it, a couple of big names at Microsoft have already been part of those touch choices and are out, and Terry Myerson is taking over. Terry Myerson has done wonders for Windows when he took over the OS division. The OS was floundering without any real cohesion or direction, much like Windows Phone Lumia line has done. I believe with Terry Myerson at the helm, it's going to be completely reorganized and start taking off soon. We're getting Windows 10 from this guy's vision, we'll get something great with Windows Phone as well. I'm looking forward to it.

I make touch choices every day as a parent. It doesn't mean I get rid of my children. I just have to find what works with them.
    07-05-2015 02:15 PM
    ^ Yay, someone gets it 😏
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-05-2015 02:48 PM
    No they are not going to shut down Windows Phone.
    07-05-2015 04:10 PM
    Tough choices does not mean "killing a product line."
    ​And on that note.....
    a5cent and rhapdog like this.
    07-05-2015 04:48 PM
81 ... 234