Is Microsoft really going to shut down Windows Phone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The quote below is from the article by Thurrott:

"Tough choices. Where things are not working.

Again, it’s hard to not to think “Windows Phone” when I read that. Some have suggested Surface might be part of that thought as well, but I’m not as sure about that, and feel that Surface still has an important role to play. And besides, Surface is just a tiny portion of a huge market. Microsoft’s Lumia devices are huge portion (statistically almost the only portion) of a tiny market, one that is going nowhere fast.

I hope he wasn’t referring to Windows Phone. But it’s hard to believe that’s not the message here."

I read the article, but thanks for the quote... Now, please tell me where in there he says that he thinks Windows phone is being killed off?

I was just saying that "tough choices" doesn't necessarily mean "kill off a whole product line". Indeed I think that would be a bit of a leap.

Last edited:

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I read the article, but thanks for the quote... Now, please tell me where in there he says that he thinks Windows phone is being killed off?

I was just saying that "tough choices" doesn't necessarily mean "kill off a whole product line". Indeed I think that would be a bit of a leap.
Good that you read the article, now read it again including the first two paragraphs and the one I quoted then you might understand the context of the entire article and why it's obvious that his article is speculating that Microsoft might kill off Window Phone.

And since you think Microsoft is only going to take 'tough choices' regarding Windows Phone let us know what you think those tough choices could be. They have already laid off thousands of workers, closed down factories, shown the door to Stephen Elop and his deputy and put all their services and products on ios and Android. So what other tough choices are left for them to take regarding Windows Phone?

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The phrases 'tough choices' and 'Windows Phone' have only been put together by rumor sites. The original letter did not do that.
That's true, however he talks about making tough choices where things are not working, and unfortunately Windows Phone with a 3% market share after 5 years falls into the category of things that are not working.

More worryingly even after so many news outlets carried these articles speculating that they might be looking at killing off Windows Phone, Microsoft has not issued any statement regarding it's commitment to Windows Phone.

Microsoft will obviously know that many people who read these articles will hold off on purchasing Windows 10 mobile if they think it might be dropped in the near future, yet they have not made any statement in this regard. It makes you wonder why that is the case.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
That's true, however he talks about making tough choices where things are not working, and unfortunately Windows Phone with a 3% market share after 5 years falls into the category of things that are not working.

More worryingly even after so many news outlets carried these articles speculating that they might be looking at killing off Windows Phone, Microsoft has not issued any statement regarding it's commitment to Windows Phone.

Microsoft will obviously know that many people who read these articles will hold off on purchasing Windows 10 mobile if they think it might be dropped in the near future, yet they have not made any statement in this regard. It makes you wonder why that is the case.

This is what worries me too. I want a clear statement.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Good that you read the article, now read it again including the first two paragraphs and the one I quoted then you might understand the context of the entire article and why it's obvious that his article is speculating that Microsoft might kill off Window Phone.

I do understand the context. I'm sorry but the article simply does not say, nor does it make it "obvious" that Microsoft is looking to kill off Windows phone.

If you disagree, that's fine. I simply don't feel like it's appropriate for you to be stating your interpretation of an article as if it were fact. Especially when the article is from a well-known and trusted source for Microsoft news. Paul did not outright say Microsoft is killing Windows phone. He may have thought it - though I doubt that, too - but he definitely did not say it.

Have you read Daniel R.'s thoughts on the matter? If you haven't, give his article a read. It's a well laid out, rational piece on what he thinks is going on. I'm firmly on the same camp.

Here's a rough summary of the points for Windows phone sticking around:

• Microsoft is heavily invested in Windows 10 Mobile
  • Windows 10 Mobile is not just about phones, it's about tablets, too
  • If Windows 10 Mobile disappears, the biggest point of Universal apps is completely undermined
  • We know Microsoft is set to release new flagship devices soon
  • Terry Myerson, the new guy in charge of Windows and devices (Windows phone) used to run the Windows Phone team

So no, I don't think Microsoft is going to kill off Windows phone any time soon. Reputable Microsoft watchers like Mary Jo Foley and Daniel Rubino agree. While it is possible to interpret Paul's (admittedly more alarmist) article in the way you have, I simply don't think that's what he meant.

And since you think Microsoft is only going to take 'tough choices' regarding Windows Phone let us know what you think those tough choices could be.

I'd be happy to. I think that if we were to apply the "tough choices" phrase to Windows phone (let's remember that we're making a small leap here, as Nadella did not directly indicate it even applied to this) it would refer mostly to manufacturing costs for hardware. Right now, the market is flooded with Lumia devices. That means several things that are unfavorable to Microsoft.

For one, it makes the market far less appealing for OEMs that may be considering Windows 10 Mobile as the OS for their new phones. It also means Microsoft itself has to carry the hardware for the platform, which involves a lot of design and manufacturing costs that no doubt hit their bottom line. Moreover, Nadella thinks of Microsoft as a "software and services" company. Hardware is more of a party piece for show casing what their software and services can do when at their very best. If that's the strategy going forward, it makes a lot more sense to cut down on the number of devices they bring to market. Google doesn't make 50 Nexus devices to show off what Android can be.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I read Daniel's article the other day and, while it was well written and totally rational, I can't agree that this is an exciting time to be a Windows Phone fan. It's more like the absolute worst.

For starters we've got a bunch of panic stricken rumors that are trumpeting the end of the Windows Phone era. While these are, like Dan says, far from likely, they don't do much to help the sour mood permeating throughout the WP ecosystem. It doesn't help that there are 2-3 versions of these rumors and we've seen zero clarity from Microsoft themselves regarding the matter. No one wants to invest in an ecosystem that's being perceived as potential chopping block material down the road.

On top of this we've seen zero worthwhile hardware activity from Microsoft for nearly 2 years now. That's a long time to go without the comfort of predictable flagship releases. It feels like they've given up even if they haven't. That's a huge mood killer.

Topping it all off, though, is Microsoft's complete and utter silence on the subject. Before the more updated Windows 10 announcements this year WP was virtually ignored. Yes there were OS updates and so on but for the most part there was no discussion of hardware or a long term game plan for flagships. Certainly no money was spent on marketing outside of the Surface line. That trend seems to be continuing today.

The overwhelming feeling is that Microsoft is keeping us in the dark regarding the future of the platform, even with recent announcements. And these gloomy rumors don't help inspire future confidence. Sure we've been promised features but we haven't been promised a path. That uncertainty makes it tough to for anyone to feel like they should buy in, and I doubt that will change when the new WP 10 devices launch

It's NOT fun to be a Windows Phone fan right now. The future vision of the platform is murky as hell for the average consumer and Microsoft is doing little to clear the air. Hopefully they learn from this and realize the mistake they've made by leaving the platform drifting in the wind for over a year.

Last edited:

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can't go making official statements every time the press goes off the reservation with their "reports" based on speculation of speculated speculations.

It does suck that we haven't had a flagship in a while, but the truth is no one was buying Windows phone anyway (ok, not literally) and it makes business sense to hold off on a flagship until there's a more compelling story for customers (Windows 10 Mobile).

I, for one, am really excited to upgrade my Icon to a new Windows 10 flagship. My only concern is carrier availability... I am going to be livid if Verizon doesn't carry the new phones!

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft can't go making official statements every time the press goes off the reservation with their "reports" based on speculation of speculated speculations.

I hear you. I didn't mean they should respond to all the rumors... I'm really just saying rumors like this take off because WP has 1) been unsuccessful in general and 2) we've seen virtually nothing on the hardware front for nearly 2 years.

It's Microsoft's fault these doom and gloom seeds have been planted to begin with. While they don't need to respond every single time, because yes that would be ridiculous, it's pretty clear these stories have circulated well enough to concern people. A simple "remember we're launching hardware in a couple months guys?" would help show they at least support the platform. The silence is awkward. They haven't even bothered to deny the rumor.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I do understand the context.
Actually you don't, because if you did we would not be having this conversation. Anyway I am done explaining it to you, it's obvious to anyone who reads the article what Thurrott meant.

I'd be happy to. I think that if we were to apply the "tough choices" phrase to Windows phone (let's remember that we're making a small leap here, as Nadella did not directly indicate it even applied to this) it would refer mostly to manufacturing costs for hardware. Right now, the market is flooded with Lumia devices. That means several things that are unfavorable to Microsoft.

For one, it makes the market far less appealing for OEMs that may be considering Windows 10 Mobile as the OS for their new phones. It also means Microsoft itself has to carry the hardware for the platform, which involves a lot of design and manufacturing costs that no doubt hit their bottom line. Moreover, Nadella thinks of Microsoft as a "software and services" company. Hardware is more of a party piece for show casing what their software and services can do when at their very best. If that's the strategy going forward, it makes a lot more sense to cut down on the number of devices they bring to market. Google doesn't make 50 Nexus devices to show off what Android can be.

So this according to you is a tough choice for a division which has had thousands of employees laid off and faced factory closures? Simply reducing the number of devices available? It's not even a slap on the wrist, it's a strategy change and not really a tough choice to make.

On the other hand, if you mean they might sell off their phone manufacturing division and only focus on the Windows 10 mobile software, that is a possibility and which is what I believe they will do going forward. If they need only devices to showcase their software such as the Surface they don't really need the manufacturing capability they possess at the moment.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually you don't, because if you did we would not be having this conversation. Anyway I am done explaining it to you, it's obvious to anyone who reads the article what Thurrott meant.

While it's obvious how you interpret what Thurrott meant, it's not obvious what Thurrott thinks those choices are. He does believe there are to be tough choices with Windows Phone. Tough choices does not mean "killing a product line." It could simply mean layoffs. Lets face it, a couple of big names at Microsoft have already been part of those touch choices and are out, and Terry Myerson is taking over. Terry Myerson has done wonders for Windows when he took over the OS division. The OS was floundering without any real cohesion or direction, much like Windows Phone Lumia line has done. I believe with Terry Myerson at the helm, it's going to be completely reorganized and start taking off soon. We're getting Windows 10 from this guy's vision, we'll get something great with Windows Phone as well. I'm looking forward to it.

I make touch choices every day as a parent. It doesn't mean I get rid of my children. I just have to find what works with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12