Microsoft and AOL sitting in a tree...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft, AOL Sign 10-Year Search, Display Deal to Rival Google's Ad Dominance

Microsoft Usurps Google as AOL's Search Provider; AOL Assumes Microsoft's Ad Sales

read all about it.jpgOnce again Microsoft is making a run at Google by forging an alliance with one of the web's biggest portals.

Microsoft and AOL have inked an exclusive 10-year deal that will see Microsoft's Bing replace Google as the search engine providing 100% of the organic search results and search ads when people search on AOL's sites.

But the deal, which starts on Jan. 1, 2016, doesn't only target Google's search dominance. As part of the arrangement, AOL will now handle display, mobile and video ad sales for all of Microsoft's properties -- such as MSN, Xbox and Outlook -- in its top nine global markets, which include the U.S., U.K., Canada, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan.

Executives from Microsoft and AOL declined to comment on the terms of the deal, such as how the companies will split ad revenue, and how else money may be changing hands between the two tech giants.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I thought AOL was dead after the failure of AOL Time Warner. It's worth around $3 billion (I think), well under it's peak valuation in excess of $100 bn.

This deal is probably a small slap on Google's wrist. A lot more is needed if Microsoft wants to hurt Google and I believe WP is central to that aim.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I still despise AOL for sending me all their CDs in the mail back in the 90s. I wonder how much landfill space is taken up by that junk.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
AOL still makes a lot of revenue from dial up subscriptions.

I couldn't even imagine using a dial up modem. I probably would throw the computer out the window.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people are interpreting things here that have nothing to do with why Microsoft sought this deal.

It's not about trying to put Google down a notch. It's not about messing up Google's ad revenue or search engine dominance. It's all about streamlining Microsoft so they can be more efficient with what they do.

Honestly, it seems these writers are doing everything they can to produce clicks, because what is really happening is as boring as boring gets.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you know the ends and outs of dialup vs broadband you would know there are things you can do with dialup you cannot do with a broadband connection. You just have to do them a lot slower. LOL.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people are interpreting things here that have nothing to do with why Microsoft sought this deal.

It's not about trying to put Google down a notch. It's not about messing up Google's ad revenue or search engine dominance. It's all about streamlining Microsoft so they can be more efficient with what they do.

Honestly, it seems these writers are doing everything they can to produce clicks, because what is really happening is as boring as boring gets.

Getting the Microsoft name out there was the only reason I bothered to post this but this got flipped around. This was for the benefit of those that want Microsoft to advertize more and I think this is a good thing but perhaps it isn't. I didn't know there was so much pent up AOL frustration from AOL floppy disks that the mere mention of AOL dredges up memories of bad relationships and dates gone bad.

Maybe the time has come.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Getting the Microsoft name out there was the only reason I bothered to post this but this got flipped around. This was for the benefit of those that want Microsoft to advertize more and I think this is a good thing but perhaps it isn't. I didn't know there was so much pent up AOL frustration from AOL floppy disks that the mere mention of AOL dredges up memories of bad relationships and dates gone bad.

Maybe the time has come.
I'm not sure what Yahoo does for advertising, but I'd approve of Yahoo handling the advertising for Microsoft.

I don't have any negativity toward Yahoo.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well paint me surprised !!!!! Being in Canada I have not heard about AOL for years. I am not even sure AOL Canada ( our version of the free CD in the mail box), is around anymore.
It is good Microsoft is pushing it's name out to the public, and better if it steps on Google's toes !!

MAC27000

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Junk ? And I thought the AOL CDs were excellent cold drink coasters (I have the party set of 24). It was an upgrade from the 1.44 Mb floppy disk (the glass always wobbled on it). Kudos for your sense of humor. bb

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I thought AOL was dead after the failure of AOL Time Warner. It's worth around $3 billion (I think), well under it's peak valuation in excess of $100 bn.

This deal is probably a small slap on Google's wrist. A lot more is needed if Microsoft wants to hurt Google and I believe WP is central to that aim.

AOL has been picking up a little more lately, but not much.

Posted via the Windows Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb