Another big layoff at Microsoft, mostly associated with the Lumia phones

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The irony is that we've been saying for years that Nokia/Microsoft needs to slim down their lineup and stop releasing so many devices. The second Nadella says they're doing exactly what we've been asking for...

The Community: "It's all over, boys. Windows Phone is done. Time to go home."

?_?

With only 4 devices or less per year in the consumer market Microsoft can't cover all the popular variations.
They will exit markets and channels that haven't been successful.

Sales will fall of a cliff.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations to Microsoft for ruining what was a great company (Nokia).

I hope those 7800 are able to find jobs ASAP.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I really am gutted that so many people will lose their job, but my opinion is that MS didn't kill Nokia, Nokia did. If anything, I think that MS kept them afloat longer than they would have managed on their own.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I really am gutted that so many people will lose their job, but my opinion is that MS didn't kill Nokia, Nokia did. If anything, I think that MS kept them afloat longer than they would have managed on their own.

Well, Nokia is not averse to change as they did somewhat start out by initially by making tires.

It sucks that the majority of the layoffs will be in Finland.

I hope those who have been made redundant will find work elsewhere.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't know where all this is going; but I have decided I will still have a Windows phone and a Android phone as I have had for several months. Only thing is now I will get a fairly high end Android phone and that will be my main phone and the Windows phone will be my secondary phone just the opposit of what I have now. I had hoped the little bit of money (for a company the size of Microsoft) they were losing would be a write off and WP would still be a main concern for Microsoft. I don't see that happening. And as far as them getting other OEM's to make Windows phones, Really, do they think people are that STUPID. If you are not going to support your own OS with a phone why would someone else do it for you. I cancelled my order for the 640XL and will just stay with my 820, and put most of my efforts into a upper end Android phone. If by some miracle they do OK with Windows phones I can always get a nice little mid-ranger to replace the 820. If not then Oh well. I will still have my Windows desktops; but my tablets and phones will be Android. Sad day for Windows; Wonder how Mr. Gates feels about this turn of events.

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
according to me the layoff news came at worst time possible just before release of windows 10 . I dont know why but I think this may negatively impact windows 10 . may be may be not. But May be WP as we know is over. I jumped the wagon from android to WP in hope getting some long time support may be that's gone. Windows Phone is going to be a niche product and I think just like blackberry Windows shall be going android may be few years down the lane. We shall know when we see 'Microdroid' or 'Droidsoft' :winktongue:

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Apple has all their eggs in one basket - and yes Iphones are doing well - now.

More and more people are getting Smartphones WP may not be profitable now, but in the future - mobility will be king. Staying here with WP is R&D.
MS also has a lot of areas of expertise, not just phones. They are diverse. They can last.

I think your first point is correct -- MS is shrinking the business in hopes of making it profitable (they've mostly been losing money on WP). BMW succeeds with a high-margin, profitable niche. Does anyone refer to WP as the BMW of the smartphone business? No doubt MS would love to find a BMW niche in the phone business. Maybe they could do that selling secure, business-oriented phones to demoralized Blackberry fans. There's not much chance they could do it selling low-end phones in international markets.

How much can MS invest in R&D when they've been getting 0% and Apple has been pulling in around 90% of the profits in the smartphone business? MS has thrown a lot of money at Windows Phone, and I think Nadella is saying it hasn't worked (no growth and no profits) and we're not going to do it any more.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...And as far as them getting other OEM's to make Windows phones, Really, do they think people are that STUPID. If you are not going to support your own OS with a phone why would someone else do it for you...

Erm... How many of the zillion and five Android phones out there are made by Google?

I read it more like reference devices as Google does with Nexus, but an expanded line.up of (4 - 6 being the numbers getting thrown around) devices rather than just one phone and one tablet a year as the Nexus program has done. It will be more like Surface. Lead by example. Before Surface, there were Android tablets out the wazoo and a couple Apple models a year. Now, post Surface, the number of Windows Tablets at all price points is increasing steadily. OEMs are certainly getting on board for tablets. Phones can replicate this.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now, Microsoft's phone division is kind of wild west city with all the different handsets they have to improve and maintain. What I think they want to do is concentrate on a few phones that serve its goal of one Microsoft and Windows everywhere. That means they have to get lean.

Most people don't talk about how Nadella wasn't on board with the purchase of Nokia. That decision was made by Balmer and now that Nadella is top dog, he's only doing what he think makes sense beginning with cutting all that fat from in and around the phone division so they can concentrate on its mobile goals. It doesn't include Nokia but will grease the skids for developers on other platforms.

This move is NO DIFFERENT than the moves Steve Jobs made when he came back to Apple. He cut off a lot of contracts right off the bat. He said "NOBODY is building Macs but Apple". The VIP's and their managers that had these relationships with PC makers who were making lots of bread building their own kingdoms on the back of Apple got the contents of their desks handed to them in a cardboard box outside of HR. He then fired a ton of people that resisted his leadership and grew Apple into the company it is today.

At least in the near term, this we know, there will be Windows Phones. new ones, flagships that run rings around its competitors. Flagships that will offer flexibility, finesse, power, storage and quality. At least this is how I read things. Gizmodo, BGR, and the rest are looking to make enough to pay down the debt from lawsuits from bloggers they owe money to. And google is writing mad checks for anyone that will tarnish Microsoft. They want death of a thousand cuts. So here they come and its just getting started. In the grand scheme, they make no contribution to Microsoft, Apple or anyone else.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All MS has done so far is Purchase Nokia, assimilate it and restructure. They own some serious IP and they have invested heavily in the Surface brand, even wrote off a billion worth of stock, if they stopped at original surface due to loss then they would be nowhere, I think the true fruits of investment in Nokia have yet to be released, they have been biding their time and will be doing more of what has worked in the past. Im actually excited by what the future holds for this ecosystem. Slowly and surely the jigsaw pieces are being shaped and put into place, in a few months we will see the big picture when it comes together.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're worried or unsure, that Microsoft will abandon W10M in a year or two, Get a iphone/ipad or an android phone as a secondary/backup device and wait it out or drop W10M/WP and get a iphone or android phone as your primary device.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Don't know where all this is going; but I have decided I will still have a Windows phone and a Android phone as I have had for several months. Only thing is now I will get a fairly high end Android phone and that will be my main phone and the Windows phone will be my secondary phone just the opposit of what I have now. I had hoped the little bit of money (for a company the size of Microsoft) they were losing would be a write off and WP would still be a main concern for Microsoft. I don't see that happening. And as far as them getting other OEM's to make Windows phones, Really, do they think people are that STUPID. If you are not going to support your own OS with a phone why would someone else do it for you. I cancelled my order for the 640XL and will just stay with my 820, and put most of my efforts into a upper end Android phone. If by some miracle they do OK with Windows phones I can always get a nice little mid-ranger to replace the 820. If not then Oh well. I will still have my Windows desktops; but my tablets and phones will be Android. Sad day for Windows; Wonder how Mr. Gates feels about this turn of events.

What exactly has google done with android? How many different phones does google actually manufacture themselves? Oems are the backbone for android. Correct me if I am wrong. ;)

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
according to me the layoff news came at worst time possible just before release of windows 10 . I dont know why but I think this may negatively impact windows 10 . may be may be not. But May be WP as we know is over. I jumped the wagon from android to WP in hope getting dome long time support may be that's gone. Windows Phone is going to be a niche product and I think just like blackberry Windows shall be going android may be few years down the lane. We shall know when we see 'Microdroid' or 'Droidsoft' :winktongue:

I think it's bad press either way but better it happen before win10 launch. Layoffs after launch would give the impression win10 is a failure. However a sudden recoup after win10 launch would give the impression the os Is a huge success. Just my opinion of course

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
If you're worried or unsure, that Microsoft will abandon W10M in a year or two, Get a iphone/ipad or an android phone as a secondary/backup device and wait it out or drop W10M/WP and get a iphone or android phone as your primary device.
With less support from Microsoft, market share will collapse and developers won't adopt the platform. That's the problem.

BB10 is a good example of what's coming for WP.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MS are using the fact that developers can now easily create windows desktop versions (which 95%+ of the business world uses) of their apps which reach a massive audience, this will resolve the app gap issue. Time will tell, its looking good on paper.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Why would OEM's continue to support windows phone if 90% of the phones sold are manufactured by Nokia/Microsoft? I think scaling back is a good thing. Targeting phones to business, low end and high end is also a smart move. There is so much confusion now. Quicker updates were also mentioned as well as releasing hardware regularly. Other than the layoffs I believe this is a positive direction for Windows Phone.

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
At least in the near term, this we know, there will be Windows Phones. new ones, flagships that run rings around its competitors. Flagships that will offer flexibility, finesse, power, storage and quality. At least this is how I read things.

Certainly hope your take on this, works out. I love my Lumia 930. It would be a real waste if Microsoft threw a really good product away.

Blackberry's attempted reinvention was nowhere near as slick. Windows phone 8.1 is an awesome os. Only drawback is the app eco system. But hands down a superior os experience to ios or android.

And Microsoft would be stupid to shun mobile altogether, with the penetration mobile is gaining every day. It's where the world is going, and to throw in the towel so early would be very short sighted.

Btw, just read another doomsday post on Cnet. Be good to prove the naysayers wrong.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...t-went-wrong-and-where-can-they-go-from-here/

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
All MS has done so far is Purchase Nokia, assimilate it and restructure. They own some serious IP and they have invested heavily in the Surface brand, even wrote off a billion worth of stock, if they stopped at original surface due to loss then they would be nowhere, I think the true fruits of investment in Nokia have yet to be released, they have been biding their time and will be doing more of what has worked in the past. Im actually excited by what the future holds for this ecosystem. Slowly and surely the jigsaw pieces are being shaped and put into place, in a few months we will see the big picture when it comes together.

Microsoft is definitely not stupid. It used to be that google was the open company and the hip company to join. The peoples' company. Now they have become one of the worst corporations with constant coverage about not upholding customer's privacy. Now Microsoft has become the open company. so open it let its users help build an operating system. They disclose everything and have even fought the U.S. government in court to preserve privacy. Either way, they knew that laying off all these people would put them on the spot light and right before their debut. But in reality it is just showing that they are willing to do to make Windows Mobile great. A lot of people are losing their jobs, but they are working on things from the past, things Microsoft wants to leave behind. Windows 10 is about the future.

It's the company mobile deserves, but not the one it needs right now. *chuckle*

I believe that when Microsoft shows off their new phones, they will be very inspiring, something that will change mobile or at least mobile for Microsoft. Microsoft pioneered hybrid PC's with the surface. Sales in hybrids have soared. Beyond the hybrid future is the mobile future. One device that can do everything. This is what continuum is about. Coffee shops will have nothing but monitors lined and you can just connect your phone to them and work on a large screen. Offices will provide people with phones as their identity. Open doors to the building, sit down at a desk and connect to a monitor. They don't even have to let people take their phones home. They are handed a phone when they arrive, scan their iris and the corporate profile is loaded and they begin the day. Or just use a Microsoft band.

Ok ok i'm starting to get too many ideas. :p

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice ideas poopyfinger, however phones are not going to be PC replacement's yet. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it's as soon as next year.

However the elephant in the room is security and which is why a remote insta-paper weight switch is needed. Currently if a phone is lost or stolen, on average you would lose your unbacked up photos, documents and unsynced contacts. But with this you will lose a whole lot more and will have much bigger problems.

BUT on the flip side with this remote switch, you have another problem - what happens if some one gains access to that switch with malicious intentions?

Have a read of this - http://www.wired.com/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster