Another big layoff at Microsoft, mostly associated with the Lumia phones

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Nice ideas poopyfinger, however phones are not going to be PC replacement's yet. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it's as soon as next year.

However the elephant in the room is security and which is why a remote insta-paper weight switch is needed. Currently if a phone is lost or stolen, on average you would lose your unbacked up photos, documents and unsynced contacts. But with this you will lose a whole lot more and will have much bigger problems.

BUT on the flip side with this remote switch, you have another problem - what happens if some one gains access to that switch with malicious intentions?

Have a read of this - How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | WIRED

This is true but that's why Microsoft is trying to do away with passwords. Iris scanning done properly would be the ultimate security. And the MS phone would act as your single point of security. If lost or stolen at least it couldn't be used. And a new iris scan on your new phone will load up your phone exactly how you had it and disable the other phone.

You have way more problems without phones these days. I mean anyone can steal your identity. I don't see how adding extra measures would make it worse. Your personal stuff can get stolen whether online or anywhere. That's something you have to accept. Microsoft has been attacked about security for years. They have always been at a point where they already had their operating system built and all they could do is patch things. Now they are building it from bottom to top with security in mind. These guys have decades of security experience. They have been running malware tools on all windows scanning and providing information as to how malware/viruses work. They built their OS around that. And sure people will be attacking the system trying to find loop holes but that's like with anything. So you either don't have a presence on the net or you do. Your phone has become like a wallet, you always carry it with you. It's just going to become your virtual wallet and identity.

You can't try to hold back the future because you fear it. Identifying yourself in the current world is broken. You get a bunch of id's after filling out a bunch of papers and providing some evidence it is you. What is the one that that guarantees it's you? Your biological identity. That's something that can't be easily faked. yet...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^Please tell me you're not advocating bio-identification as the future system. I refuse to be assimilated.
Sent from my latest victim - Lumia 640

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is true but that's why Microsoft is trying to do away with passwords. Iris scanning done properly would be the ultimate security. And the MS phone would act as your single point of security. If lost or stolen at least it couldn't be used. And a new iris scan on your new phone will load up your phone exactly how you had it and disable the other phone.

Hmm, what happens when there are changes environmental or genetical that causes said iris scan to become defunct and the individual has not used or set up any other authentication methods?

As lets face it, unless there are fail safes put in place and made mandatory during oobe most people will take the easiest approach.

You have way more problems without phones these days. I mean anyone can steal your identity. I don't see how adding extra measures would make it worse. Your personal stuff can get stolen whether online or anywhere, That's something you have to accept.

Of course, however biometric data cannot be easily replaced as a bunch of digits :winktongue: or a say a facebook account.

Microsoft has been attacked about security for years. They have always been at a point where they already had their operating system built and all they could do is patch things. Now they are building it from bottom to top with security in mind. These guys have decades of security experience. They have been running malware tools on all windows scanning and providing information as to how malware/viruses work. They built their OS around that. And sure people will be attacking the system trying to find loop holes but that's like with anything.

As rightly pointed there is no such as being completely secure, anything human made has flaws be it intentional or by accidental design. Hence why there are always iterations i.e Wi Fi encryption. Regardless one would imagine Windows 10 would be more secure than the previous iterations however without "really" testing it, one cannot say for certain it is.

So you either don't have a presence on the net or you do. Your phone has become like a wallet, you always carry it with you. It's just going to become your virtual wallet and identity.

Actually you could get by without an online presence however as companies including social networking sites into their background checks that is no longer a possibility. I find it ridiculous that companies are placing more and more emphasis into looking into your social life as opposed your experience and hard earned credentials. There are several sector's why this should be standard practice however for your run-of-the-mill jobs such as admin doesn't warrant such an intrusion into your social life. Never the less that is not the topic of discussion here.

Your phone has become like a wallet, you always carry it with you. It's just going to become your virtual wallet and identity.

Japan, have had this in place for decades so if anything that is an example countries should follow by but based on past trends it will take years if not decades for that to happen. For instance the US only just started gearing to the chip & pin system, a system other countries have been using for also decades.

You can't try to hold back the future because you fear it. Identifying yourself in the current world is broken. You get a bunch of id's after filling out a bunch of papers and providing some evidence it is you. What is the one that that guarantees it's you?

Haha, not afraid however one needs to take a slow pragmatic approach to ensure we don't end up in a much more dire situation - the movie Identity thief as funny as it was shows lightly how the broken current system is - this extract sums it in my opinion:

"Oh, no, we don't go get anyone.
Let me walk you out.
See, we're Denver PD.
All we do is open and close the case.
Now, if she buys
something on Amazon,
then Seattle PD
would investigate.
Your mobile company's in Ohio,
then Cleveland PD handles that.
Then so on and so forth
for every single theft."

Of course that is not saying a fraud team will not investigate or there won't be any collaborative efforts, but it could be ages before things are finally put right.

Your biological identity. That's something that can't be easily faked. yet...

Which is why security is more paramount than ever before, as once you lose access to your bio-metrics then what happens?

If you thought getting a new social security number was a hassle....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, what happens when there are changes environmental or genetical that causes said iris scan to become defunct and the individual has not used or set up any other authentication methods?

As lets face it, unless there are fail safes put in place and made mandatory during oobe most people will take the easiest approach.

Of course, however biometric data cannot be easily replaced as a bunch of digits :winktongue: or a say a facebook account.

As rightly pointed there is no such as being completely secure, anything human made has flaws be it intentional or by accidental design. Hence why there are always iterations i.e Wi Fi encryption. Regardless one would imagine Windows 10 would be more secure than the previous iterations however without "really" testing it, one cannot say for certain it is.

Actually you could get by without an online presence however as companies including social networking sites into their background checks that is no longer a possibility. I find it ridiculous that companies are placing more and more emphasis into looking into your social life as opposed your experience and hard earned credentials. There are several sector's why this should be standard practice however for your run-of-the-mill jobs such as admin doesn't warrant such an intrusion into your social life. Never the less that is not the topic of discussion here.

Japan, have had this in place for decades so if anything that is an example countries should follow by but based on past trends it will take years if not decades for that to happen. For instance the US only just started gearing to the chip & pin system, a system other countries have been using for also decades.

Haha, not afraid however one needs to take a slow pragmatic approach to ensure we don't end up in a much more dire situation - the movie Identity thief as funny as it was shows lightly how the broken current system is - this extract sums it in my opinion:

"Oh, no, we don't go get anyone.
Let me walk you out.
See, we're Denver PD.
All we do is open and close the case.
Now, if she buys
something on Amazon,
then Seattle PD
would investigate.
Your mobile company's in Ohio,
then Cleveland PD handles that.
Then so on and so forth
for every single theft."

Of course that is not saying a fraud team will not investigate or there won't be any collaborative efforts, but it could be ages before things are finally put right.

Which is why security is more paramount than ever before, as once you lose access to your bio-metrics then what happens?

If you thought getting a new social security number was a hassle....

Sure but you're just thinking of all the worst scenarios. I had my passport stolen once. Got a new one. What someone did with it is beyond me. I just live my life one day at a time. Right now windows supports facial recognition. Saw a video of it in action and its pretty neat. You need 3 cameras which includes a 3d, infrared and rgb. It them does a prophet scan of your face and lets you logon that way. So for the average person to get on your phone is not possible. Government level hacks could be a different story. . Obviously this creatures some sort of data that is checked against. But my guess is even if its hacked is quite a lot of work. if someone gets the dates it can be ms could technically just change what days how it's created. Like I said passwords are way less secure. So either way you're getting a step up. If you and yo in a car wreck and your gave cant be distinguished them you have bought problems than logging into your phone. They may

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sure but you're just thinking of all the worst scenarios. I had my passport stolen once. Got a new one. What someone did with it is beyond me. I just live my life one day at a time. Right now windows supports facial recognition. Saw a video of it in action and its pretty neat. You need 3 cameras which includes a 3d, infrared and rgb. It them does a prophet scan of your face and lets you logon that way. So for the average person to get on your phone is not possible. Government level hacks could be a different story. . Obviously this creatures some sort of data that is checked against. But my guess is even if its hacked is quite a lot of work. if someone gets the dates it can be ms could technically just change what days how it's created. Like I said passwords are way less secure. So either way you're getting a step up. If you and yo in a car wreck and your gave cant be distinguished them you have bought problems than logging into your phone. They may

I'm aware of what's needed ;), in essence it is the kinect 2.0 camera shrunk down with only your face being the vocal point not your skeletal anatomy.

In this day and age where social cyber attacks will become more and more complex as they (people with malicious intent) get more and more access to your data. We are constantly online now be it on phones, laptop, pc, tablets, smart tvs etc even on stand by (or sleep mode) they are still connected. We leave a trail of crumbs where ever we go and all that data doesn't disappear into the ether, it is stored, analysed and used to feed us adverts and used to perform other analytics. Which is where telemetry or analytics (based on current data of the general population as a whole) used for future projections more than often than not falls on it face completely.

Therefore if anything with bio-metric data which cannot be easily replaced needs to be safe guarded even more closely. Why do you think the big three have been increasingly ever more vocal against government agencies when it comes to user data & privacy?

Trust here is the key and most valuable asset of all, which is why security is paramount. Your posts say it all, you trust Microsoft to be able to keep your data secure; which is true for the most of general populous. Without that subconscious trust we all would be wearing tin foil hats and suits.

Fail to prepare, is to prepare to fail.

Best not to give into the illusion of security but to be always skeptical & continuously improve data safeguards.

One most plan for the worst case scenarios or best case scenarios (depending on the situation) and work backwards only then can you truly think outside the box. However the caveat is that things done with the best of intentions will either back fire or have unintended catastrophic consequences - there are two sides to a coin.

Sorry working from phone the wpcentral app text box loses ability to scroll at some point. So don't see mistakes.

Don't worry about it :), the text box is even more cumbersome on the phone preview as the keyboard sometimes get stuck behind the app bar lol. So you end up tapping to get the keyboard unstuck and in the process displace the cursor... :grincry: which sometimes crashes the app or refuses to budge from it is current place.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
^^Please tell me you're not advocating bio-identification as the future system. I refuse to be assimilated.
Sent from my latest victim - Lumia 640
Agreed. Currently if someone wants to steal and hack my PIN or whatever, they just steal my phone. If iris scanning became the standard, not only will they steal my phone, but they'll gouge out my eyeball too!!! :unhappysweat:

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday one of the partners of a client of mine said Microsoft had decided to back Android and was busy retiring the Windows Phone business, citing the recent layoffs, the migration of apps and Cortana to other OSes, the higher priority given to releasing Android and IOS ahead of their own ecosystem. A sad conversation.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Erm... How many of the zillion and five Android phones out there are made by Google?

I read it more like reference devices as Google does with Nexus, but an expanded line.up of (4 - 6 being the numbers getting thrown around) devices rather than just one phone and one tablet a year as the Nexus program has done. It will be more like Surface. Lead by example. Before Surface, there were Android tablets out the wazoo and a couple Apple models a year. Now, post Surface, the number of Windows Tablets at all price points is increasing steadily. OEMs are certainly getting on board for tablets. Phones can replicate this.

I think whether Windows tablets is successful is a critical factor for the possible success of Windows Phone.

People are willing to switch to Windows tablets (from iPad / Android tabs) because they can run full Windows and get things done. But they are not so willing to even have a try on Windows Phone.

Windows tablets (and Windows 10) can help the growth of apps and, hopefully, will encourage users to try Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett