08-11-2015 08:36 AM
60 123
tools
    I was not speaking to Apple's current corporate health. I know they're sitting on a mountain of cash, and IPhone sales were strong. The stock dropped because they didn't meet analysts expectations. Despite Apple's rhetoric, I believe IWatch sales were lower than they hoped internally. And the IWatch will not have the same open playing filed as the IPad and IPhone had at their introductions. Further -- I haven't seen the kind of Jobs-like visionary leadership out of Tim Cook that would comfort investors, and Apple sitting on that cash is going to wear on those investors over time.

My overriding point is that I view Apple as vulnerable; tablets and smartphones are becoming a saturated marketplace with solid competition. Even Yahoo Tech is doing features on Cortana.

Apple isn't going away -- however I don't see them as the invincible force they were 5 years ago.
    That's right, analyst's expectations, AKA the numbers they pulled out of their asses. That's how analysts work, especially where Apple is concerned. As for the Watch, it's hard to say that sales didn't meet Apple's expectations when A: we don't know the actual sales and B: we don't know what their expectations are.
    07-23-2015 10:04 AM
    That's right, analyst's expectations, AKA the numbers they pulled out of their asses. That's how analysts work, especially where Apple is concerned. As for the Watch, it's hard to say that sales didn't meet Apple's expectations when A: we don't know the actual sales and B: we don't know what their expectations are.
    I don't agree with your assertion of how analysts derive their expectations. What's your beef with analysts?

AFA IWatch sales go -- I expressed an opinion. I believe absent official projections from Apple as to their expectations, the nature of the organization would be to offer a more enthusiastic statement about sales if numbers were in line or exceeded those expectations. Apple has never been shy in that area. Their announcement was very "nice", and sounded a lot like the kinds of statements made by the analysts you seem to abhor. I'm not stating fact -- it's my observation. You're certainly entitled to your opinion; I'm expressing mine.
    07-23-2015 10:39 AM
    Its all swings and roundabouts - Apple have a firm grip on consumer, Microsoft a firm grip on business. Can Apple leverage that to make inroads into MS, the answer is an easy no. Can MS leverage that to make inroads into Apple, the answer is perhaps, and we will find out over the next 12 months. I cant wait to see MS fight back, for the last year at least they have taken a beating by us armchair critics while they have been beavering away restructuring, reshaping, building, improving, listening and under Satya's obviously clear and fresh leadership they have vision and focus. What do Apple have? A great brand, wheres their innovation? I cant see anything really.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-23-2015 11:56 AM
    In the rumor mill concerning WP; Nadella is giving WP another two more years and if it is not profitable by then; it is goners. Some countries have over 10% market share too. In the U.S.; Microsoft home market; it is around 2 to 3 percent since 2012. Back in 2005; in the U.S. Windows Mobile had a 45% market share.
    08-05-2015 12:13 PM
    Unless Microsoft puts forth the effort to market the phones in a totally different way than they have, it will never be relevant in mobile.

The carriers won't help, because they don't want to deal with Microsoft phones, and haven't for years.

Microsoft needs to go cross country and do informed studies on unscripted mobile phone users and get away from their chosen user group. This way they can see for themselves what people think about their phones.

If Microsoft elects to bypass the carriers totally, they need to really become the Uncarrier and promote the Holy he'll out of this. They have to offer financing and easy setup on all carriers in store and full on support for every device.

Their flagship phones have to be truly flagship phones, not a incremental update and have a dedicated time line for obsolescence.

The flagship phone has to be fully equipped to compete head to head and win with any flagship device. Everything has to work perfectly, as well as everything software on the phone. Work arounds won't cut it anymore, the software has to be bug free.

The perception of Windows phones has been terrible for a very long time and this has to change. It all starts with Microsoft and how the phone is marketed and putting out quality apps.

Microsoft is a software company, and there is not a reason in hades why there is a app shortage, and if they wait until some developer builds a needed app, they will always be irrelevant to the mobile phone sector.

Microsoft states that they aren't a phone oem, this has to change as well. They have to build the Surface phones and they have to be better than the other Android phones and the IPhone in every aspect. Why aren't they offered with high end wood and leather backs, along with carbon fiber like the Motorola and LG have.? . Why isn't there a "Active" type that has the ratings to compete with Samsung for waterproofing, don't Windows phone people get outside and do things where they need this? Why isn't there pen support and apps for every phone?
    These things matter to millions of people all over the world. Why haven't they been addressed? This is not just about core users or brand new users it's about all cell phone users on all platforms... You have to have what the majority of people want and need to be successful.

Most people know that you have to spend money to make it in business , and yet a perfectly great phone is languishing and being tossed aside for inferior products everyday because the leadership of Microsoft is afraid to invest the money to push it's phones as they should.

Win10mobile could be the ultimate cell phone, but until the management team actually believes enough in it to invest fully for it, it will never be the best.

How can Win10mobile turn things around...... By being better than and offering more than the competition in every aspect. You have to convince the world that they need a new Win10mobile phone. If you aren't going to sell them in the carriers stores, you have to advertise the crap out of it where to buy it and then have staff in the places you are selling it that will push them to it instead of the competition's phones.

It's all well in good to have your apps on the competition's phones but you have to have the apps that the competition uses on it... Take away the uncertainty of switching to the Windows ecosystem completely.

T-mobile is claiming to be the Uncarrier.... That's not really true because they are a carrier... Microsoft can become a true Uncarrier and could use this in it's advertising.

It's time the gloves come off and they come out swinging and acting like they want the phone division to win.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    08-05-2015 08:12 PM
    In the rumor mill concerning WP; Nadella is giving WP another two more years and if it is not profitable by then; it is goners. Some countries have over 10% market share too. In the U.S.; Microsoft home market; it is around 2 to 3 percent since 2012. Back in 2005; in the U.S. Windows Mobile had a 45% market share.
    Nadella said almost the opposite of that. He said that MS will continue making Windows Phones for AT LEAST two more years. After that, they will continue to make Windows Phones unless OEMs are making devices that fulfill all of the needs for the three mobile markets that MS is targeting. The markets are economy/low end, business, and flagship. The whole point of Nadella's message was that mobile is so important to MS that they will continue to make phone hardware as long as there is a market shortage in any of those 3 classes. It's very similar to their Surface strategy.

Regardless of profitability, MS needs Windows phones to be available in order to complete their ecosystem. They didn't spend all this time reworking Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, and everything involved in Universal Apps just to pack it all up in two years because their phone hardware isn't making money. Keep in mind that we are talking about a company that has taken a loss on things like Xbox, Surface, Bing, and many of their enterprise products for many years before finally making a profit. MS has no problem taking losses, waiting, and grinding away at a market when it fits their overall strategy.
    a5cent, gMaesterUK and libra89 like this.
    08-05-2015 09:45 PM
    Anyone know how long it will be before android apps are on WP?......I'm missing some features but i don't want to go back to Android are they on the finish line?.
    08-09-2015 10:20 PM
    Anyone know how long it will be before android apps are on WP?......I'm missing some features but i don't want to go back to Android are they on the finish line?.
    Finish line? The starter's pistol hasn't even gone off yet.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    08-09-2015 10:58 PM
    Well, looking at MS from the outside, it does seem like MS is more focused on iOS and Android than on WP/W10M.
    08-11-2015 08:12 AM
    Yes. Yes they do.
    08-11-2015 08:36 AM
60 123