Does MS know how to win with consumers?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft owns 95% of the world's desktop computing pie...

I'm sorry, you lost me after pie. I want pie. I need pie. I'm wondering how I can get pie from computing. (Yes I know I can get pi from computing, but it really is not the same thing at all.) Then I realized you said Microsoft owns 95% of the pie. I worry that they won't let me have pie.

Whaaaaaaa!!! It's unfair. I want pie and have none. WHERE IS MY PIE?!?!?

classic+blueberry+pie.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, you lost me after pie. I want pie. I need pie. I'm wondering how I can get pie from computing. (Yes I know I can get pi from computing, but it really is not the same thing at all.) Then I realized you said Microsoft owns 95% of the pie. I worry that they won't let me have pie.

View attachment 108472
Have a pi(e)!

c1bf168333e535d8d0fb1fd83e9bf2e1.jpg

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Apple's relative silence regarding IWatch sales is also very telling. They're not crowing about fantastic acceptance or inventory shortages.

I guess that's my point, isn't it. . .

Even before the Watch went on sale, Cook said they wouldn't reveal sales figures so as not to give any of their competitors insight into what was working and what wasn't, so I never expected them to say anything one way or another.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Had a reunion not so long ago, went to a club and saw an amazing looking watch on my mates wrist, i asked him what it was, he said iWatch...in all honesty my heart sank, but credit where credits due, it looked great, Shame im anti fruit now :p

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

You could get some Apple pie, but it cost $100,000 per slice.

Personally, I think Microsoft should be selling Chocolate Pie. There is no-pie-thing in this world better than chocolate pie.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Even before the Watch went on sale, Cook said they wouldn't reveal sales figures so as not to give any of their competitors insight into what was working and what wasn't, so I never expected them to say anything one way or another.
Tim Cook -- the Anti-Steve Jobs. . . .

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple's relative silence regarding IWatch sales is also very telling. They're not crowing about fantastic acceptance or inventory shortages.

I guess that's my point, isn't it. . .

They are selling less that 2000 a day.

At least that I what an analyst report on Marketwatch showed the other day based on credit card transactions. At release it was high but fell off like an exponential graph.

Interest has gone. Reviews were not great. Price is high.

Will be interesting how they spin it. Probably still as most smart watches sold as it will be, but not the typical success.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
MS is pulling a blackberry. Sitting and resting on corporate sales and existing Windows desktop home users.

I don't see the aggressive push of Windows phone or creating new markets like the Surface, HoloLens and the Band as sitting resting.

Think how many Windows tablets were around 2 years ago. None. Today there are hundreds available.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
MS is pulling a blackberry. Sitting and resting on corporate sales and existing Windows desktop home users.
BlackBerry didn't pull a Microsoft and buy up a sinking phone maker only to turn around and write off a $7.8 Billion loss. Even with MS's deep pockets a timeout was necessary.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
IMHO I think the problem is not only that they couldn't piece together something, I think it stems from who they are. Now I may be missing many of the pieces, but to most outsiders, MSFT looks like the windows 98, corporate only, higher than the regular consumer type business. Apple and google, seem approachable in the sense of human emotion, MSFT just hasn't captured that... YET.

I say YET because it's a big task to rebrand yourself after people remember what you failed at. This is the truth. Apple has that "first time golden" esq' about it, like it almost can do no wrong.

Now that we have all of that, MSFT is starting to move in the right direction, but it will take a lot for them to make things work.

I think if they just buckle down, create what we want tomorrow and actually finish the product, they can change. But that's just me....

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree - that's the difference between the brand, the emotional response and anchor to each one. Every time I speak to a friend of mine about MS immediately he says they are rubbish, and to be honest its 100% Microsoft's fault for doing the most idiotic things and a lot of that was under the watch of Steve Balmer. Today its a different company with a different perception to those in the know and its only a matter of time before the masses see that as well, all MS have to do is keep making and delivering great products and solutions that make peoples lives easier. Apple is stale and I see no innovation whatsoever from them, Steve Jobs was amazing and they are living off the fruit (apple) of his labour...Google, well, I just see Google as an extension of the NSA!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread kind of reminds me of this image that was being sent around last year sometime...

BvBHm46CQAIAGZc.jpg

Yes, I get the point about Apple being popular, but that's the point really. Good design and good marketing made the brand popular more than the products being good. Building brand loyalty and reinforcing that loyalty with Apple products that only really work well with other Apple products is what's bagged them the cash.

I think I prefer Microsoft's approach, even though they're not first, and not popular...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft owns 95% of the world's desktop computing pie.

So ? That's great and all but, is Microsoft COOL ? That is the BIG QUESTION HERE. Because when it comes down to it, most(on a global scale) people/business run Windows because they don't have a choice. Apple is a good OS but, too limited (depending on what you do) and not cheap, and PC's are cheaper so most of those people get a Windows computer because of bang for the buck and they can do what they need for the most part.

Then the other side, as said above, the term Windows refers to work, not fun. AKA=Not COOL.

They would have to look at people in the 16-18 year old range (young, starting first jobs, fairly hip to modern music and trends). If you asked then what they would want, a Windows Tablet or an iPad, what do you think they would say ? I would almost bet by a very high margin that they would say an iPad. Why ? Because it's cool. The Windows Tablet would see limited on younger minds because their parents use Windows and they want to be different. This is why these devices are so successful. Android is trying to get on that market and the only way they can right now is with a $59 tablet (very low prices)

When it comes down to it, these are the demographics that Microsoft should be going for with their ads. They might not buying today but, when they get jobs and get fairly good income in a few years they will be buying. They are the next customer and where they should be targeting.

So their ads need to be more edgy, more perky and more HIP to modern trends. A lot more edgy than they are almost on the line of being offensive.

For me, they just need to put Windows Media Center in Windows 10 and you got me ! :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
the term Windows refers to work, not fun. AKA=Not COOL.

Cool doesn't pay the bills and certainly doesn't meet payroll. Even the venerated iPad wasn't meant for that young demographic you speak so highly of. They were, and are, expensive! I don't care how hip you are, if you're on minimum wage you ain't buying an iPad.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Cool doesn't pay the bills and certainly doesn't meet payroll. Even the venerated iPad wasn't meant for that young demographic you speak so highly of. They were, and are, expensive! I don't care how hip you are, if you're on minimum wage you ain't buying an iPad.

I'm sorry but that just simoly isn't true. These days if you don't get the hip young crowd, then you won't make the big bucks because it won't catch on. Apps and phones get big when teens get them and advertise them to their friends saying they are cool. You absolutely need to win over the young teens to make successful products that can compete with the likes of Samsung or apple. That's pretty widely known around these parts. We are just waiting on Microsoft to catch on to that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786