Gizmodo left no room under the Windows Phone bus

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Gizmodo tossing WP deep under the bus. As I said, the closer we get to launch, expect to see more of these musings from google's bankrolled Trolls.

Request: Please keep it civil

"Does that mean there won?t be any more Windows Phones? No, there almost certainly will. In fact, Microsoft is still working on two new flagship Lumia devices, if you believe the rumors.

But the honest truth: this is probably the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft the phone company. The final nail, because Ballmer?s replacement?Satya Nadella?has been hammering them into that casket like mad.
There?s a wealth of evidence that Microsoft?s been giving up the smartphone ghost for a while now. First off, it aggressively acquired some of the very best productivity apps out there, like Wunderlist, Sunrise, and Acompli, to shore up its software presence on iOS and Android. (Not just Windows Phone.)

Microsoft?s newest app Tossup, an app designed to help you plan events with friends, isn?t even offered on Windows Phone.

Then there?s been the systematic Great Migration of Microsoft?s own premiere apps to Android as well.

Not only are some Microsoft?s apps not exclusive to Windows Phone, you can actually get them preinstalled on competing phone platforms now. Microsoft struck up a deal with Samsung to pre-install apps like OneNote, OneDrive, and Skype on to the Galaxy S6, then swiftly came Dell, LG, Sony, and other smaller international OEMs. Microsoft even partnered up with Cyanogen, a community-built fork of Android that might as well be another competing operating system."
More there.

But dude picks a single unknown and untested app and that's this entire rational. Anyway, the 29th is fast approaching as is the trolls.
Gird thou loins.
hqdefault.jpg

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Pay them no mind. In fact anyone who can't see what a great OS/ Device WM is can't be trusted, that includes anyone who is on Microsoft Payroll or Board.
The only thing constant is change. I think we just have to have faith in the leadership .Time will tell. I would like to see a positive future .

Hey everyone is replaceable

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is still putting a lot of work into Windows Phone...the problem is that all of their work cannot see the light of day until Windows 10 drops, so apps get released for iOS and Android, but not WP. Likewise, much of this is due to the quiet cycle before Windows 10. Today's news looks glass half empty, but only time will tell how all of this shakes down.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean jmshub.

Right now, Microsoft's phone division is kind of wild west city with all the different handsets they have to improve and maintain. What I think they want to do is concentrate on a few phones that serve its goal of one Microsoft and Windows everywhere. That means they have to get lean.

Most people don't talk about how Nadella wasn't on board with the purchase of Nokia. That decision was made by Balmer and now that Nadella is top dog, he's only doing what he think makes sense beginning with cutting all that fat from in and around the phone division so they can concentrate on its mobile goals. It doesn't include Nokia but will grease the skids for developers on other platforms.

This move is NO DIFFERENT than the moves Steve Jobs made when he came back to Apple. He cut off a lot of contracts right off the bat. He said "NOBODY is building Macs but Apple". The VIP's and their managers that had these relationships with PC makers who were making lots of bread building their own kingdoms on the back of Apple got the contents of their desks handed to them in a cardboard box outside of HR. He then fired a ton of people that resisted his leadership and grew Apple into the company it is today.

At least in the near term, this we know, there will be Windows Phones. new ones, flagships that run rings around its competitors. Flagships that will offer flexibility, finesse, power, storage and quality. At least this is how I read things. Gizmodo, BGR, and the rest are looking to make enough to pay down the debt from lawsuits from bloggers they owe money to. And google is writing mad checks for anyone that will tarnish Microsoft. They want death of a thousand cuts. So here they come and its just getting started. In the grand scheme, they make no contribution to Microsoft, Apple or anyone else.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Many individual reporters have a personal agenda and some tech reporting companies a strategic one. WP (this will be changed to Surface Phone IMO at some point) is focussing on enterprise! - Yayyy! about time!!! and also fewer releases rather than the annoying scatter gun approach which tainted the WP brand as its jack of all trades master of none, this new strategy is tried and tested, works and MS have W10 and Surface brand to leverage the Phone with. Please please, just don't screw it up!

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree with the Gizmodo article. I switched to Android when I realized that MS is a software business first and foremost. Now I enjoy both Google and Microsoft services and am much more productive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well Jazmac, I think you're asking for trouble keeping it civil by putting this little line in your post:

Where do you get that?

Citation needed I suppose.

They could be Apple bankrolled, or part-time! Or Satya wants to play the business game on hard mode!

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Well Jazmac, I think you're asking for trouble keeping it civil by putting this little line in your post:

Where do you get that?
You should know by now that, according to people on this site, anyone who ever writes anything critical of Microsoft is on Google or Apples payroll

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You should know by now that, according to people on this site, anyone who ever writes anything critical of Microsoft is on Google or Apples payroll

And then you have those who say that Satya himself never wanted the Nokia devices purchase, so you could add him paying them off to the possibilities... :wink:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Where do you get that?

Its not written anywhere. Its all cherry picked, anecdotal evidence. I thought that was apparent but maybe not

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, there is a wealth of information about windows 10 on phones if you know where to look and willing to trawl through the documentation.

The easiest accessible of these is channel9.msdn.com, for example here (see the bottom links): New in Windows 10: USB Dual Role on Mobile - Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

How ever one needs to bear in mind, some of these may not make it into the end product at launch or may come later or may not as things change last minute. I prefer to use the above post as an example as it gives clear examples of what would become enabled with Windows 10 for phones.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon