Kill 'em. Kill 'em With FIRE!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I vote they buy Verizon and kill CDMA. Soon after, we'd have one worldwide standard of GSM.

The reason Verizon has the best coverage is because they use CDMA. The US is relatively sparsely populated, and CDMA has greater range than GSM, allowing for better coverage with less towers. That's probably why the US uses CDMA in the first place.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The reason Verizon has the best coverage is because they use CDMA. The US is relatively sparsely populated, and CDMA has greater range than GSM, allowing for better coverage with less towers. That's probably why the US uses CDMA in the first place.

Verizon uses CDMA for voice & SMS. Data is handled by LTE which is GSM, hence the SIM card.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon uses CDMA for voice & SMS. Data is handled by LTE which is GSM, hence the SIM card.
Yes I know, but CDMA has its place. I use Verizon, and there are places I have voice coverage but not LTE.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has good coverage because years ago Sprint sold them towers and then agreed to lease them back. ..which is why Sprint has terrible service.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Verizon has good coverage because years ago Sprint sold them towers and then agreed to lease them back. ..which is why Sprint has terrible service.

Cough.. I do believe Verizon's coverage has alot to do with they bought Alltel matter of fact they could not buy all of Alltel because it would make them a monopoly.. Sprint has a roaming agreement with Verizon on 1x when you are out of home service area. Sprint flopped because they bought a incompatible network called Nextel. Sprint tried to develop a hybrid phone that would also use the Nextel beep beep that also flopped.

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon bought Alltel after the Sprint tower acquisition, half of the Alltel acquisition was split with AT&T.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok.. My bad I had thought Cingular had bought some southern based cell company that was some way branded att way before changing to att themselves. bellsouth mobility > Cingular > is now att.. To my understanding alltel actually still exists in at least alabama or did as recent as 5 yrs ago.

And edit after a Cortana search Alltel still pulls up there but owned by att.. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. If u know, who actually was that smaller cell company Cingular bought out before becoming actual att?

Nevermind, Cingular bought at&t wireless.. My own question answered hehe..

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No problem, I follow things because I like technology, not a fan of any platform but use WP daily ☺.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The paradigms really aren't the same, though. Android showed up in the relative infancy of smartphones. It was iOS or a half-assed Windows Mobile device. There wasn't really room for a massive app gap to develop. Microsoft showed up about 3-5 years too late. On top of that, EVERYTHING Microsoft has done involved a two-year life cycle. WP7 went 2010-2012. WP8's going to end up with a 3-year cycle, but Microsoft basically made 2014 a crater for itself, while announcing (more so leaking) ahead of time that it was going to cut WP8 off at the legs. In today's market, it's not a fledgling experience where new devs can pop up and make money. Now, it's heavy-hitting studios wanting low-risk propositions, and that's not what Windows Phone represents, hence the general disinterest from major developers.

Microsoft's making strides, but it's also being highly secretive. It's not been leaked that there are MS slides indicating that the worries of a long-term subscription model for the OS might be real. Microsoft refuses to properly explain ANYTHING (and not just on the W10 front), and it leaves things to be handled last-minute. Marketing is hard when you're being pounded with negative press and you rarely (if ever) counter it. I mean, I was all set for W10. However, since Microsoft's allegedly looking at a subscription-based OS and can't be bothered to come out and actually explain their plans, I'm going to hold off. There's no benefit to upgrading early and getting suckered into losing my computer in 2-4 years. I mean, I laughed at this notion that W8 was worth jumping to Linux over, and despite all of the good appearances and intentions for W10, that one fact has taken something I considered laughable on a so-so OS to something semi-feasible on a better one.

The real problem is that 2-year thing, though. Who wants to switch smartphone platforms when Microsoft's known strategy is to only plan for 2 years of support? Why move to W10 to have to move back to Android or iOS in 2 years, should Microsoft kill mobile? There's too much willingness to ignore bad press, avoid good marketing, and hide everything from customers. It comes off as shady, half-cocked, and poorly managed.

It's not that simple. Say Microsoft makes deals with Samsung and LG to prioritize hardware releases on Windows 10 first and wait a few months before android. Gives them all sorts of insane incentive and they do it. Now the market is flooded with these new Windows phones. Mobile magazines are reviewing them. It has a lot of spot light.

2 years is what they are using to showcase Windows 10. The finished product the way they envision it will take that long. My guess is that it is solely dependent on Intel being behind on their 10nm skylake chips. Once you get those into a phone you really do have a pc running on there. Intel and Microsoft are also close partners and could once again make deals with oems.

There's a lot of possibilities. Once again people starring at their phones all day. The younger generation which makes up Microsoft's future is extremely phone centric, so they will not give up on phone. Will they give up on THEIR OWN hardware, sure. 2 year plan could mean, 2 years where they make their own phones and then after that they get someone like Samsung to make their phones and brand it Microsoft. It could mean anything. Don't rush to conclusions.

You're worried about you having to switch 2 years down the line? Seriously? Technology is so rapidly evolving that I don't care if I switch 2 years from now. Just enjoy what you have now, don't plan your actions based on what will happen years from now. If you don't like Windows right now, switch, that simple. I am not switching because I love Windows 8.1 and I have what I need in terms of apps. I also have an iphone 5 and a zenfone and never really got into them as much. And yah they have more apps but to me they are useless. Honestly, even on Windows 8.1 I have way more apps than I even use. I just install them when I see reviews or other stuff.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
AT&T became Cingular after the Feds said that they were a monopoly, but quietly became AT&T Wireless again.

Hmm I was pretty sure Bellsouth mobility became Cingular. I was on Bellsouth mobility back in the day.. If you drove in the country you were sky scanning for a signal and "can you here me now" was already becoming a popular phrase before Verizon adopted it in there commercials Hehe..

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if you don't want to learn about how carriers became so large and in charge, let's be quiet now so that you can have your thread back 😊.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I was pretty sure Bellsouth mobility became Cingular. I was on Bellsouth mobility back in the day.. If you drove in the country you were sky scanning for a signal and "can you here me now" was already becoming a popular phrase before Verizon adopted it in there commercials Hehe..

AT&T allowed themselves to be "sold" to Cingular, who then bought all of the -Bell services (OhioBell), and then was purchased back by AT&T.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/from-att-to-cingular-and-back-again/

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info Dr it was great learning that info, I'll also back out I didn't mean to upset anyone as well.. Another day then and great chatting with you

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not that simple. Say Microsoft makes deals with Samsung and LG to prioritize hardware releases on Windows 10 first and wait a few months before android. Gives them all sorts of insane incentive and they do it. Now the market is flooded with these new Windows phones. Mobile magazines are reviewing them. It has a lot of spot light.

2 years is what they are using to showcase Windows 10. The finished product the way they envision it will take that long. My guess is that it is solely dependent on Intel being behind on their 10nm skylake chips. Once you get those into a phone you really do have a pc running on there. Intel and Microsoft are also close partners and could once again make deals with oems.

There's a lot of possibilities. Once again people starring at their phones all day. The younger generation which makes up Microsoft's future is extremely phone centric, so they will not give up on phone. Will they give up on THEIR OWN hardware, sure. 2 year plan could mean, 2 years where they make their own phones and then after that they get someone like Samsung to make their phones and brand it Microsoft. It could mean anything. Don't rush to conclusions.

You're worried about you having to switch 2 years down the line? Seriously? Technology is so rapidly evolving that I don't care if I switch 2 years from now. Just enjoy what you have now, don't plan your actions based on what will happen years from now. If you don't like Windows right now, switch, that simple. I am not switching because I love Windows 8.1 and I have what I need in terms of apps. I also have an iphone 5 and a zenfone and never really got into them as much. And yah they have more apps but to me they are useless. Honestly, even on Windows 8.1 I have way more apps than I even use. I just install them when I see reviews or other stuff.

Just to cover the last thing, it's not about me, it's about the general consumer. When people see no real long-term commitment by MS to the platform, it's harder to tell them to bail on iOS or Android to potentially come miss out of apps (and repurchase others). Throwing on the "oh, and it might be dead in 2 years," just makes it look worse. Personally, I went Android first because I didn't feel like waiting on WP7 to launch in 2010. Kind of glad I did that, as I got experience with the platform, realized it wasn't my favorite, and it made my WP8 decision an informed one, not one based on brand loyalty.

The OEM thing, I don't buy that it would ever happen. Samsung lives in a specific window for the Galaxy devices, and I don't see them taking a chunk of money from Microsoft to move to the fall and fight Apple for customers. That's basically how it would have to work, as the present state is that the newest Qualcomm devices release in the spring, and Microsoft's showing up 6+ months late with the silicon that is almost replaced. There's no rushing to conclusions, there's just assessment of what we're told. That Microsoft refuses to set the record straight, that they've lied about stuff in the past, and that they've shown a consistent failure to stick to a plan for more than 2 years, that's all prior knowledge and experiences that make me hesitant to accept or support them widely. I'll still go with W10M, but I'll have a hard time telling others to do it when the past is also the present with that company.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon