Kill 'em. Kill 'em With FIRE!!!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The proper marketing can get the credibility back. Look at American Politics. Why do some of those bozos get voted into office? They have a good "marketing" campaign.

Yes, but they still don't have credibility. How many politicians can you name that you feel has credibility. Not disagreeing with you, just wanting to distinguish the difference between marketing and credibility.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Perception is reality. . .

Perception is 'sizzle'. Apple doesn't sell the steak, they sell the 'sizzle'. 'Sizzle' is a fleeting ephemeral image which dissipates quickly. That's what drives the iPhone 6 mo upgrade cycle.

Make no mistake, Apple has been VERY successful selling the sizzle. That doesn't mean that 'sizzle' equates to substance let alone quality, innovation, practicality or even beauty. And the ability to successfully sell 'sizzle' doesn't equate to the credibility of either the product...or the manufacturer.

That said, there's no law that says that along with the 'sizzle', comes a steak that surprises you with quality and taste you never imagined from the advertising sell. Apple is not currently delivering that on their plate. But then 'sizzle' is obfuscating their product quite nicely...as is their intention.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Perception is 'sizzle'. Apple doesn't sell the steak, they sell the 'sizzle'. 'Sizzle' is a fleeting ephemeral image which dissipates quickly. That's what drives the iPhone 6 mo upgrade cycle.

Make no mistake, Apple has been VERY successful selling the sizzle. That doesn't mean that 'sizzle' equates to substance let alone quality, innovation, practicality or even beauty. And the ability to successfully sell 'sizzle' doesn't equate to the credibility of either the product...or the manufacturer.

That said, there's no law that says that along with the 'sizzle', comes a steak that surprises you with quality and taste you never imagined from the advertising sell. Apple is not currently delivering that on their plate. But then 'sizzle' is obfuscating their product quite nicely...as is their intention.

Yeah, then Microsoft needs to sell the sizzle, because they've got the tastiest steak coming. Confirmed from Nadella that the Surface Phone, Intel powered Windows 10 Mobile is coming in 2016, and it's gonna run x86 apps, baby!

Put that baby on the market and most people will never care about the Google App store again. How many programs/apps are available for x86? Yeah, I thought so. BAM!

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps. however that is not an absolute.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Won the Internet.jpg

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re> RumoredNow
"Microsoft should terminate all the carrier shenanigans and sell Unlocked phones directly to those who are aware of what they want"
From your mouth to [SUP]God's[/SUP] Microsoft's ear....

Via WinBeta, Kevin Turner MS COO keynote#2 talk at WPC( Worldwide Partner Conference)
Microsoft is restructuring to grow Windows Phone business profitably, says Kevin Turner

text of interest...(emphasis mine)
--------------------------------------
"We're changing our manufacturing processes, we're modernizing those and making them contemporary, we're changing some of our go-to-markets, and using multi-tiered distribution. We are right sizing the organization, and we are hard at work at what's the next big wave of innovation relative to that size of device that we need to be working on and geared towards."
---------------------------------------

Sounds to me like an end-run of the carriers if the carriers still insist on back-of-store showcasing....or not stocking at all.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This. People buy their phones in the same stores iPhone and Android phones are sold. End of story.

I've seen people buy phones at Family Dollar, Kroger, and other places that don't sell iPhones, so that's really not the "end of story."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not bought a phone for myself out of a carrier store since 2005. I've had a lot of phones in the last ten years many of them BNIB.

The carriers want you to believe they have all the phones that will ever be any good. My experience is that I get better hardware by going elsewhere.

American's are so pitifully conditioned to the US carrier shell game.

Wake Up Already!!!!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've not bought a phone for myself out of a carrier store since 2005. I've had a lot of phones in the last ten years many of them BNIB.

The carriers want you to believe they have all the phones that will ever be any good. My experience is that I get better hardware by going elsewhere.

Wake Up Already!!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/5ZfQiDrs8bc[/url]

Same here, haven't bought a phone from a carrier since 2004:)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Wake Up Already!!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/5ZfQiDrs8bc[/url]

I always want to cheer when you jump on this stuff. People need to get POUNDED with the concept that "carrier controlled" is neither beneficial nor necessary! Been doing my part for years by refusing carrier/contract imprisonment. Please everyone, join me, won't you? And again, thanks for starting this thread.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought a phone from the carrier back in 2005. I paid full price at the time, which made it expensive, but I didn't like the conditions on the contract and how much it would have cost me by having a contract.

Still the only one I've ever gotten from the carrier. I like choice. Carriers don't generally give a lot of choice, just a lot of contract obligations that I don't want to be tied to.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Due to the fear that I may never reach the nd.. I just wanted to say a couple things:
Some of you guys crack me up.. Like the post about continuum...
Also, before I purchased my 928 I was interested in getting a Nexus on VZW. Problem is, they actually blocked the phone from operating on their network. What's to stop them from doing this to WP that CAN work on CDMA, but Verizon simply says no and blocks them?
I agree WP should be better marketed and available on all carriers, but if people simply don't care to switch from iPhone/Android then you can't make them. I know I've tried for the last year to get my family to switch. Even showed them Cortana. To which I was told"So its like Siri?"
You can market the product, you can make it available anywhere for anyone, but some people simply will not switch. Change is scary.
I'm sure there's more I wanna say but I only made it to page 6... I feel when I get home it will be up to 20 so I'll have to read when I'm home...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's to stop them from doing this to WP that CAN work on CDMA, but Verizon simply says no and blocks them?

They do that already... They always have. They think they are Gandalf standing on the bridge deep in Moria, defying the Balrog... "You shall not PASS!!!!!"

Verizon and Sprint don't block phones. They just have it set so it is impossible to activate your phone unless your MEID is in their database and the only way that happens is when they bulk purchase from OEMs. The only time they bulk purchase from OEMs is after a supplicant kisses the ring and swears eternal allegiance to Vzw and affirms that Vzw's needs are more important to the OEM than anything the end user could need. Then the OEM has to sacrifice their first born SD card slot to appease Vzw's anger.

If it means a Vzw customer can't have a phone, I gleefully and willfully push you under the bus.

Seriously. I don't care how bad your carrier gimps you. That is between you and your carrier. Leave me and Microsoft out of it.

The carrier created their own mess. YOU don't have to lie in it.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint don't block phones. They just have it set so it is impossible to activate your phone unless your MEID is in their database and the only way that happens is when they bulk purchase from OEMs.

AT&T had the iPhone in 2007. Sprint and Verizon didn't get it until 2011. It's not because Apple didn't want them to have it. They were slow to want it. By 2011, these 2 companies decided they couldn't continue to keep their customers without it, which is the ONLY reason they relented and allow Apple to set the terms.

Apple refused to kiss Verizon's ring, so to speak, so it took from 2007 to 2011 to get the phone in their stores. Did Apple care? NO! Should Microsoft care? NO! Wait a few years and Verizon and Sprint and others will be begging Microsoft to get in on what will be the future of Windows Mobile.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree WP should be better marketed and available on all carriers, but if people simply don't care to switch from iPhone/Android then you can't make them. I know I've tried for the last year to get my family to switch. Even showed them Cortana. To which I was told"So its like Siri?"
You can market the product, you can make it available anywhere for anyone, but some people simply will not switch. Change is scary.
For me, this carrier/contract issue has little to do with trying to move people to Windows Phone,,, I know my preference but I have no interest in converting anyone else, as I am a bit of an agnostic when it comes to any OS. I simply think that the carrier/contract system assigns the role of "sucker" to the consumer and that's not acceptable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720