Kill 'em. Kill 'em With FIRE!!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, was the last bit towards me?

Not you specifically... The Generic "You" being any consumer not willing to shop for the best possible deal for themselves. So many users state they "cannot" change carrier for some reason or another.

We all have our justifications for what we do, but last I checked carriers are not fiefdoms and nobody need ask his lordship's permission to buy a phone. They have what they have and you can buy from them. If you don't like what they have and they won't honor BYOD, then certainly you may shop carriers at any time...

Having the phone I want and swapping phones when I want is a major criteria in choosing a carrier for me. It is not for some and the carrier store is where they get their gear.

Me choosing any phone I like hinders no one else. A carrier choosing what phone can ride on their rails hinders many daily. Why those users put up with that makes ZERO sense to me with my libertarian device usage pattern. I find the Verizon and Sprint model unacceptable.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Having the phone I want and swapping phones when I want is a major criteria in choosing a carrier for me. It is not for some and the carrier store is where they get their gear.

I think you would be in the minority here. Most people just like to use the carrier store. For the vast majority of people, an unlocked phone adds $0 value. They have no desire to swap phones, or even take it to another carrier. They walk out of a store with an activated phone, the one they intend to use for the next 2 years. If they have a problem in the meantime, they go back into the store where it is taken care of.

Another thing that we here on the forums look at as ultra important is updates. However, updates are not important to most people. In fact, in my experience I've seen plenty of people whose phones had system updates, as well as app updates, waiting to be installed, but they don't do it. The same also applies to PCs. To them it is just a hassle. Some things might change and/or not work correctly. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I feel the same as you in that I prefer unlocked phones where I can do as I please, including jumping carriers. But at the same time we need to be realistic about it. Most users do not even wish to do research, order a phone online, order a SIM card online, and put the two together and hope they work. What about the APN tweaks that are sometimes needed to get MMS working or something like that? Who wants to mess with that (besides us)? :winktongue:

Yes, going through the carriers 100% is not the cheapest, but it is the most convenient, and for the most part the most hassle free.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think you would be in the minority here. Most people just like to use the carrier store. For the vast majority of people, an unlocked phone adds $0 value. They have no desire to swap phones, or even take it to another carrier. They walk out of a store with an activated phone, the one they intend to use for the next 2 years. If they have a problem in the meantime, they go back into the store where it is taken care of.

Another thing that we here on the forums look at as ultra important is updates. However, updates are not important to most people. In fact, in my experience I've seen plenty of people whose phones had system updates, as well as app updates, waiting to be installed, but they don't do it. The same also applies to PCs. To them it is just a hassle. Some things might change and/or not work correctly. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I feel the same as you in that I prefer unlocked phones where I can do as I please, including jumping carriers. But at the same time we need to be realistic about it. Most users do not even wish to do research, order a phone online, order a SIM card online, and put the two together and hope they work. What about the APN tweaks that are sometimes needed to get MMS working or something like that? Who wants to mess with that (besides us)? :winktongue:

Yes, going through the carriers 100% is not the cheapest, but it is the most convenient, and for the most part the most hassle free.
I completely agree. I just wanted to add to your point about having issues with the phone and being able to go to the carrier. I think that point has been easily forgotten here.

A good example of this situation is what happened with my father's phone semi-recently. He got this basic phone from a carrier a few years back and it was acting up. It was to the point where he had to call the carrier (using another phone because that one wasn't working right for calls). It was a very long phone call, but in the end, the issue was fixed. Someone like my father would get an unlocked phone, have something go wrong with it and then not know what to do? That sounds like an idea that isn't going to work out well.

I think most of the people I know just decide to go to the carrier to get another phone if their phone can't be saved at all, my dad included.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

The way carriers have been doing business IS broken so far as it serves Microsoft. Any exposure gained has been lost several times over by the way the OS gets denigrated by the carrier personnel and the lack of interest in pushing the product. I agree the majority of phone users follow the carrier model. That is not the point here. The point is the carrier model is not working. It fails time and again to advance the OS.

The carrier horse refuses to pull the Microsoft cart. Microsoft needs a new horse to pull it's cart to market.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The way carriers have been doing business IS broken so far as it serves Microsoft. Any exposure gained has been lost several times over by the way the OS gets denigrated by the carrier personnel and the lack of interest in pushing the product. I agree the majority of phone users follow the carrier model. That is not the point here. The point is the carrier model is not working. It fails time and again to advance the OS.

The carrier horse refuses to pull the Microsoft cart. Microsoft needs a new horse to pull it's cart to market.

WP is not taking the world by storm anyway. Its market share is higher in the US than it is worldwide. It's not just the carriers doing it. There's something else in play here.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
While I agree with most of what is being discussed here, I have to say that I enjoy being able to walk into a carrier store, and walk out 15 mins later with an $800+ dollar phone with no money down. I'm already paying them $70 dollars a month for an unlimited data plan, so tacking on another $20 bucks monthly for a bleeding edge, high end phone feels like a no brainer.

I could have paid cash up front and bought my phone unlocked, and I do have phones that I've purchased that way, but on high-ticket items I'd rather pay them out through the carrier.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It isn't. But even when you show people on paper how they pay more for less in the long run, its so common now that they refuse to believe it.

Oh, no, they actually do believe it. It's like when you tell a smoker that smoking causes cancer. They believe it, but just don't care enough to stop smoking. They like what they get when they are smoking. The nicotine is addictive.

Being able to walk in to a carrier and walk out with little or no money down over comes having to pay way too much for most people.

While I agree with most of what is being discussed here, I have to say that I enjoy being able to walk into a carrier store, and walk out 15 mins later with an $800+ dollar phone with no money down. I'm already paying them $70 dollars a month for an unlimited data plan, so tacking on another $20 bucks monthly for a bleeding edge, high end phone feels like a no brainer.

I could have paid cash up front and bought my phone unlocked, and I do have phones that I've purchased that way, but on high-ticket items I'd rather pay them out through the carrier.
Thank you for proving my point.

I suppose if I absolutely had to have the latest, greatest hardware, I'd probably be inclined to do the same. However, as smooth as WP runs on low end hardware, I can easily justify walking into Walmart and paying $48.84 for a Lumia 635 GoPhone or $79.84 for the Lumia 640 LTE GoPhone. Pop in my AT&T SIM and I'm good to go.

I guess I'm just more of the "I'll be content with what I have because I don't need all that extra stuff" kind of guy. I'm rare, though, and my wife is always telling me she's glad she found me. ;)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I suppose if I absolutely had to have the latest, greatest hardware, I'd probably be inclined to do the same. However, as smooth as WP runs on low end hardware, I can easily justify walking into Walmart and paying $48.84 for a Lumia 635 GoPhone or $79.84 for the Lumia 640 LTE GoPhone. Pop in my AT&T SIM and I'm good to go.

I couldn't spend as much time as you and I do hanging out on mobile phone and tech sites, if all I was interested in was low end phones.

There isn't a person on this site that wouldn't want one of the new high end Lumia's coming out. Sometimes people have to be content with what they have because of money constraints, and I understand that, but we're all phone enthusiasts here, we all love the hot new devices. Carriers make it easy for people to get those devices, and I'm glad they do.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a person on this site that wouldn't want one of the new high end Lumia's coming out.

I've already decided I'm taking a pass. My Lumia 1520 is still going to be good when Win 10 Mo hits. I'm gonna wait and see what's further down the road.

But even if I wanted one... Purchased one... It would not be through a carrier shop on terms. My carrier doesn't even have a store. :winktongue:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't spend as much time as you and I do hanging out on mobile phone and tech sites, if all I was interested in was low end phones.

There isn't a person on this site that wouldn't want one of the new high end Lumia's coming out. Sometimes people have to be content with what they have because of money constraints, and I understand that, but we're all phone enthusiasts here, we all love the hot new devices. Carriers make it easy for people to get those devices, and I'm glad they do.

I'm interested in a lot more than just low end phones. I love technology. I love to discuss it with others. I love to see the direction the tech industry is heading, where it has been, and I love to forecast where it is going.

The 635 and 640 are quite capable devices, and run smooth as butter running Windows Phone. I have a bit of trouble in my mind justifying spending more on the high end when I have no actual need for it. I can't justify a front facing camera, as I don't do video Skype, nor do I have anyone I would do it with. I also don't do selfies, period. I can't justify higher end cameras, because I find the camera on the 635 does everything I need. I just need something to take a quick pic with my family once in a while. The 5MP on the 635 is a solid camera, and actually takes better pictures than the 10MP stand-alone digital camera my wife was using. I don't play games, and every app I need works just fine on 512MB. I also have trouble handling a phone as large as a 5" or larger. My 635 seems to be about as big as I can handle effectively.

I'm retired. Retired in my mid-40s just 6 years ago. I'm not content with what I have because of money constraints, I'm content with what I have because I've learned the secret of how to be happy in life. A large part of that is to be content with whatever I have, whether it be much or little. It's not about money constraints for me. However, a lot more people sure would be better off by learning to restrain themselves when it comes to money. Seeing so many people in debt that still believe they need to spend more saddens me. I didn't get to the point of being able to retire young because I was wasteful with what I had. I also have the understanding that I have to be cautious with what I have. Even the richest of people have been brought low by a sudden downturn in an economy or market. Why shouldn't I be making sure that every dime I spend counts for something? If I'm not going to use the features, I'm not going to pay for them. I'm also not going to pay triple to get that last 15% performance increase that many people will do.

Right now, I'd love to have one of the Intel flagship phones. However, #1, I'll have to wait until they arrive. #2, I'll wait and see how they perform and what new they will offer. #3, I'll wait until I need to replace both my phone and my laptop, then I'll get one device instead of two and save money. Why? Because I can, and I can feel good about making wise decisions.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in a lot more than just low end phones. I love technology. I love to discuss it with others. I love to see the direction the tech industry is heading, where it has been, and I love to forecast where it is going.

The 635 and 640 are quite capable devices, and run smooth as butter running Windows Phone. I have a bit of trouble in my mind justifying spending more on the high end when I have no actual need for it. I can't justify a front facing camera, as I don't do video Skype, nor do I have anyone I would do it with. I also don't do selfies, period. I can't justify higher end cameras, because I find the camera on the 635 does everything I need. I just need something to take a quick pic with my family once in a while. The 5MP on the 635 is a solid camera, and actually takes better pictures than the 10MP stand-alone digital camera my wife was using. I don't play games, and every app I need works just fine on 512MB. I also have trouble handling a phone as large as a 5" or larger. My 635 seems to be about as big as I can handle effectively.

I'm retired. Retired in my mid-40s just 6 years ago. I'm not content with what I have because of money constraints, I'm content with what I have because I've learned the secret of how to be happy in life. A large part of that is to be content with whatever I have, whether it be much or little. It's not about money constraints for me. However, a lot more people sure would be better off by learning to restrain themselves when it comes to money. Seeing so many people in debt that still believe they need to spend more saddens me. I didn't get to the point of being able to retire young because I was wasteful with what I had. I also have the understanding that I have to be cautious with what I have. Even the richest of people have been brought low by a sudden downturn in an economy or market. Why shouldn't I be making sure that every dime I spend counts for something? If I'm not going to use the features, I'm not going to pay for them. I'm also not going to pay triple to get that last 15% performance increase that many people will do.

Right now, I'd love to have one of the Intel flagship phones. However, #1, I'll have to wait until they arrive. #2, I'll wait and see how they perform and what new they will offer. #3, I'll wait until I need to replace both my phone and my laptop, then I'll get one device instead of two and save money. Why? Because I can, and I can feel good about making wise decisions.
Ah....the voice of reason. I too enjoy tech and like to discuss it as most of us here. I hate debt and swore off credit cards and car payments a few years ago. I didn't retire but I enjoy my job a little more knowing that I can get by without worrying about the next paycheck being enough to cover the bills. I understand the carrier model but I don't subscribe to it.

As for your comment about cigarettes, I can vouch for the addictive properties. I've been smoking for over 37 years and I know for a fact that the tobacco companies are putting something in the cigs. I had a heart attack at 46 and the abstinence only lasted 2 weeks. I suffered horrible physical withdrawal symptoms that I never felt when I quit drinking. I can enjoy a glass of Bourbon or Brandy every so often and not look at a bottle for months.

I wish I had the same willpower when I'm on eBay or Amazon looking at phones or tablets.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
As for your comment about cigarettes, I can vouch for the addictive properties. I've been smoking for over 37 years and I know for a fact that the tobacco companies are putting something in the cigs.

You with cigarettes, me with chocolate. I think the chocolate companies do the same thing. I can't pass a chocolate bar without it calling my name. Especially dark chocolate. Chocolate pie is the best.

I've considered maybe going back to work when my girls are old enough. My uncle is still working and he's approaching 80. He's a consultant now, but IBM keeps calling him for help on a regular basis. Seems they can't get along without him. That man is sharper with tech than the young people growing up with it by a long shot. A rarity, I know.

Phones are addictive for many. They were a great temptation to me for a while, and it has taken a lot to overcome that. I'll start struggling again when the Intel Windows phones hit, I'm sure, but I'll overcome. My wife and I are good at keeping each other in check on our weaknesses, in a loving way, of course. ;)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You with cigarettes, me with chocolate. I think the chocolate companies do the same thing. I can't pass a chocolate bar without it calling my name. Especially dark chocolate. Chocolate pie is the best.

I've considered maybe going back to work when my girls are old enough. My uncle is still working and he's approaching 80. He's a consultant now, but IBM keeps calling him for help on a regular basis. Seems they can't get along without him. That man is sharper with tech than the young people growing up with it by a long shot. A rarity, I know.

Phones are addictive for many. They were a great temptation to me for a while, and it has taken a lot to overcome that. I'll start struggling again when the Intel Windows phones hit, I'm sure, but I'll overcome. My wife and I are good at keeping each other in check on our weaknesses, in a loving way, of course. ;)
Are we totally useless without our wives or what?

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I keep telling my wife things like, "I want t sell this phone so I can get that phone."

She says, "You know we could just get that phone now?"

Temptation is hard. I try to be good and have willpower...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo