What is going to convince Android/IOS users to get Windows phone in the future?

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I say this as a happy 930 owner - that news makes me cringe slightly. This was not a good time to buy a 930. I got one to replace a broken 920, but only because it was a dirt cheap refurb. The 950 will be so much further ahead of the 930, so I can't help but feel sorry for your friend over his/her purchase! I guess they can sell and trade up when the new one comes, if it's wanted.

I understand, I feel the same, but I wasn't involved in the decision and he did get a good deal. Beyond that, I'm confident his device will serve him well. He will of course get Windows 10 Mobile and it will be interesting to see how many of the new features it will be able to support.

Buying a 930 as a fashion statement right now is a lousy deal, but buying it as a potent tool is still great value.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Win8, Win10 and Android. I like both platforms and currently switched back to the Nexus 6 due to lack of wifi calling (T-Mobile) and hot spot in Win10 TP. I agree with Theefman too. There really isn't a compelling reason other than not wanting to work with Google getting your data vs MS getting your data. tiles work for me and widgets are nice so either interface isn't a compromise for the way I work. MS ties in better with Win10 and Office365, but the MS services apps on Android are as good as what they have with Win10 phones. They seem to be out googling google.

The apps gap isn't an issue for me. Other than Starbucks and Google Maps, I have everything I need on Win10. I won't be using my phone as a PC so continuum, while a nice to have I guess, isn't a big deal. Security is a big deal, being able to block apps from getting my data is a big plus as is stopping malware and virus'. High quality handsets are needed.

In the end, I think MS is going to have to win back users to it's ecosystem (hate buzzwords) and hope to capitalize on Google and Apple missteps to gain market share and that's going to be a long haul. I was surprised they haven't jumped on "warning" users about stagefright and the high number of handsets that haven't even been patched yet. Makes more sense than those dopy scroogled commercials.

I wouldn't count them out, just look at the Surface product. First one was a dud but now, they're very successful.

Francis_Beland

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think that Microsoft should leverage their domination in Enterprise management (ex. Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange, etc.) to develop management tools exclusively for their Windows Phone (ex. RSAT for Windows phone). I understand the fact that they want to attract a lot of users in their software offering by doing IOS and Android versions to get them used but enterprises won't stop using Active Directory because the management tools cannot be used with IPhone and Android Phones. I would however foresee a lot of IT admin switching to Windows Phone to get first party management tools to be able to do their daily stuff (unlock account, reset password, troubleshoot IIS, etc.).

I also think that they need to offer the option for the phone to connect to AD as if it was a pc with admx files to manage the phones without using exclusively EAS. If they want to leverage Continuum in the enterprise environment, they need to offer better management option.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
  1. MS should stop developing its apps for Lagdroid and iCrap and pull them down from those stores.
  2. Aggressive marketing of W10 mobile and its advantages over Lagdroid and iCrap.
  3. Make people aware of Project Astoria, Project Islandwood and universal apps as well as Windows Continuum.
  4. Highlight and market aggressively the traditional hallmarks of WP such as its strong performance, lack of security issues, aesthetically beautiful UI etc.
  5. MS should restrict Lumias to the high-end and let the other OEMs release WP handsets for the low- and mid-range.

Last edited:

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
  1. MS should stop developing its apps for Lagdroid and iCrap and pull them down from those stores.
  2. Aggressive marketing of W10 mobile and its advantages over Lagdroid and iCrap.
  3. Make people aware of Project Astoria, Project Iceland and universal apps as well as Windows Continuum.
  4. Highlight and market aggressively the traditional hallmarks of WP such as its strong performance, lack of security issues, aesthetically beautiful UI etc.
  5. MS should restrict Lumias to the high-end and let the other OEMs release WP handsets for the low- and mid-range.
I'm agreed with you.

MS is the only who make their 75% efforts on Android and iPhone apps not on their own market.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
IMO -

The only real call to Android is the number of apps that can be found. If people would develop for WP, it would probably be a huge turnaround. But there isn't much in the way of attracting developers as of yet. With Astoria on the way, we could see a huge shift.

I was into Android since it's release. At the time, they were the underdog. They amassed a huge developer and hacker following very early on, and it just took off. I bought a Lumia Icon to replace my 2013 Moto X, and to be perfectly honest, the only draw was the camera. My intention was to use the Icon when I was out hiking or on road trips, and keep my Moto X as my daily phone. That thought process lasted until the first hour I had the Icon.

WP8.1 was kind of clunky in some aspects... mail, for example. W10M is much more clean, and I am much happier with it now. There are so very few things I still miss about Android.

1) Youtube. We need a native app.

2) Photo backup. I always used G+, which was good enough. Onedrive is an absolute joke. They only allow very low resolution versions of the pictures you take to be backed up. Basically, it works if you want to share a quick glimpse of a picture with someone, but if something happens to your phone, your precious pictures are still GONE. Their thought process on that one escapes me.

That's about it, though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
2) Photo backup. I always used G+, which was good enough. Onedrive is an absolute joke. They only allow very low resolution versions of the pictures you take to be backed up. Basically, it works if you want to share a quick glimpse of a picture with someone, but if something happens to your phone, your precious pictures are still GONE. Their thought process on that one escapes me.
OneDrive for Windows Phone will back up full resolution photos if you use WiFi.

OneDrive for Android will back up full resolution photos using WiFi or mobile data.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
As one of the possible reasons I'd say

Microsoft focusing on improving their OWN apps on their OWN systems.

Making apps and services for iOS and Android with a chance to invite/lure users to their own Windows Mobile as a complete and best experience possible is one thing

Yes I do support their apps on iOS and Android as I use them there too.

Making apps and services actually any better on Windows Mobile is something completely different.

However I think that this is not their main goal anymore, they are a software company after all and should give services to any one on any device.

Making it a best experience on Windows Mobile would still be something nice to hear.

I know that Windows 10 is getting released on WP, but what is going to convince Android and IOS users to switch? A better looking and smoother user interface isn`t going to move these phones alone. We`re still missing important apps like Snapchat, Steam (On Windows, how odd is that?), official Youtube and so on. Apps like Facebook and Twitter are there, but they are much worse on WP compared to Android.

Steam? Man, I wish I had it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I think slow performance and incomplete apps will convince users to switch to our beloved platform. Do not forget the lovely pause and resume pages that I can't live without them

sanjeet_deshwal

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Aggressive marketing?
LOL.
Within 10-12 minutes while I was reading this thread , 2 Microsoft ads (540 & 640xl) and 3 iPhone ads ,appeared on different TV channels(India).
iPhone ads were like "we have more than 1.5 million apps with them you can do anything and at the end if it's not an iPhone. Then it's not an iPhone"
Rest 2 ads were showcasing iPhones slow motion camera feature.
On the other side , Lumia 540 & 640xl ads were like " this have office, OneDrive and OneNote "

Do you really think Microsoft, Indians will use OneDrive and office, who are still using 2g network on their only browsing devices .(OneDrive with Edge network 😑)

And that 1.5 million includes office ,OneDrive,OneNote too(better ones)

--------------------
English isn't my primary language

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Aggressive marketing?
LOL.
Within 10-12 minutes while I was reading this thread , 2 Microsoft ads (540 & 640xl) and 3 iPhone ads ,appeared on different TV channels(India).
iPhone ads were like "we have more than 1.5 million apps with them you can do anything and at the end if you don't have an iPhone. You don't have an iPhone"
Rest 2 ads were showcasing iPhones slow motion camera feature.
On the other side , Lumia 540 & 640xl ads were like " this have office, OneDrive and OneNote "

Do you really think Microsoft, Indians will use OneDrive and office, who are still using 2g network on their only browsing devices .(OneDrive with Edge 😑)

And that 1.5 million includes office ,OneDrive,OneNote too(better ones)

--------------------
English isn't my primary language

Exactly. Which normal user uses Office anyways.. I don't know what are they aiming with that, Enterprise users they say? They are better off on iOS & Android in the first place.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I expect continuum would be a major plus for the platform.

Also I think being in the platform kinda provokes you to buy different touch points, I see Hololens as a good contender.

But all in all, I do not think Microsoft has a target for 2016 that focuses on their mobile device that much.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I expect continuum would be a major plus for the platform.

Also I think being in the platform kinda provokes you to buy different touch points, I see Hololens as a good contender.

But all in all, I do not think Microsoft has a target for 2016 that focuses on their mobile device that much.

This.. All say Continuum is such an awesome thing.. Reality.. Who cares? Those few tech enthusiants..

Hololens.. Yeah for rich kinds, if they make it cool.

Unless, they go head over heels promoting those features in every single Windows Mobile ad, then YES!

Microsoft could use some Nice words from big name news sites for sure.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the promoting is the only problem at Microsoft lol..

i doubt that's their issue, as marketing has only one difficulty, which is cash, and Microsoft has a lot of that.

in the past year, they had a marketing campaign, and they set a target to have "an Ad where ever you look" or something like this, and they did that.

I used to see windows phone ads on everything, billboards, magazines, websites, seriously all advertisement mean available.

but i live in Jordan, so i do not know about you. :)

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
i doubt that's their issue, as marketing has only one difficulty, which is cash, and Microsoft has a lot of that.

in the past year, they had a marketing campaign, and they set a target to have "an Ad where ever you look" or something like this, and they did that.

I used to see windows phone ads on everything, billboards, magazines, websites, seriously all advertisement mean available.

but i live in Jordan, so i do not know about you. :)

There are/were ads like Lumia 930 for it's camera, but only words, no presentation, no video and lots of cheap Lumia's with Office.. In the mean time we got LG G4 and S6 ads with videos showing off their Camera and 4K recording and 2K displays in a whole lot better way so.. Yeah

kaoh_v

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
HTC and other android builders spend a lot of cash on ads, and they fail. The great succes of Android is driven by Samsung succes. If we can learn anything from Apple it is how image works. And Microsoft keeps failing at selling the image. The Hololens could make Microsoft cool again, someday. But for now they just have to prevent people from jumping ship. Keep them connected to their services and customers will start to buy any Windows device someday again, just because that is the name they know as the device platform they have their services on.
The succes of Android is more about Youtube and Google Maps than about Android itself. Even the Google owned Motorola could not make a profit on those phones. If there is no reason to not buy a Windows Phone more people will take one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss