10-04-2015 09:03 AM
111 123 ...
tools
    I know that Windows 10 is getting released on WP, but what is going to convince Android and IOS users to switch? A better looking and smoother user interface isn`t going to move these phones alone. We`re still missing important apps like Snapchat, Steam (On Windows, how odd is that?), official Youtube and so on. Apps like Facebook and Twitter are there, but they are much worse on WP compared to Android.
    oanh vy likes this.
    08-12-2015 10:46 PM
    Astoria
    Montpbm likes this.
    08-13-2015 12:40 AM
    Project Astoria and Project Iceland, Windows Continuum, Faster and Better Centralized Store. The New OS with Continuous updates with feedback being respected and listened to continuously.
    Hope this helps
    08-13-2015 01:12 AM
    Astoria
    Why isn't some apps out yet then? People have already ported over popular Android apps already because of the leak. In some cases they didnt have to do anything.
    08-13-2015 03:08 AM
    I bet that developers will keep the apps in their pockets, even with Project Astoria done.
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-13-2015 06:17 AM
    They can keep it in their pockets but it will then find another way to Windows Phone users.
    08-13-2015 07:07 AM
    Native google apps and services
    lucas.scott likes this.
    08-13-2015 12:38 PM
    As said in an other thread, windows apps work better on android than wp, so people will just be tempted to change, and then return back to android or ios
    theefman and Kevin Rush like this.
    08-19-2015 07:02 AM
    From androids......the cost of the high end phones that continue to come out and still have lag/memory problems! One of the reasons I put using an android phone behind me. Although I continue to use android on a tablet for basic media and 1 game.
    Maxy12 and Kevin Rush like this.
    08-19-2015 08:09 AM
    Ask them to try Windows 10, Surface, OneNote, etc first....
    08-19-2015 08:51 AM
    Looked at honestly (without wearing the fanboy hat) there really is nothing. Ported apps are already available to those users, continuum is a niche feature, lack of lag is a myth (see resuming/loading issues), Microsoft apps are available on those platforms already. All WP had was a unique UI and that is going away, so for the vast majority of ios and android users there doesn't seem to be any reason to switch.
    AkArora, chezm, Analyss14 and 6 others like this.
    08-19-2015 09:10 AM
    I'm not sure there's actually much needed. Just yesterday at work I got two queries about my Lumia 930 from people running high end Android and tiring of it - and one of those has already bought one!

Non-technophiles are really starting to tire of Android. Then they watch me get faultless service from Amalthea (for that is her name) day in, day out and want some of the same.
    08-19-2015 09:20 AM
    Honestly, Microsoft really should leverage more of the surface and Xbox brands.

I'm currently on Android using an S4 reaching the end of it's contract. Despite the phone serving me well, I of course want a new toy. I've had an iPhone in the past, but since using the S4 I can't go back to a phone that limits removable storage and battery, having that has been so useful especially on a 12 hour plane journey.

When looking at new phones I took the versatility into consideration and since Samsung made the S6 an iPhone clone, they lost any interest from me, especially with this curved screen rubbish. So, I looked around for inspiration, the LG G4 seems to be the closest option, but I haven't been sold on the layout and I've never had a good experience with the brand in the past.

This led me to look at other options. When I heard that the Xbox One (my main console of choice and my prime media device in the house) was merging with Windows 10, I took notice. Seeing what Microsoft had planned with games streaming and unifying the stores made perfect sense to couple with my laptop, but my phone being on Android was the odd one out, this got me probing windows phone, knowing it would eventually share the same OS and store, meaning all my devices would be made for each other. Reading rumours about the 950 got me all excited and sounds to be exactly what I want.

Tl;dr
    So, based on my love of my Xbox One for games, achievements and media functionality I'll be getting a 950 when it becomes available. I also think Microsoft should extend their exclusive Xbox IPs (beyond Halo) and some exclusive features to Windows Phone in order to encourage more consumers. By also using the surface brand, which is already gaining traction, it would freshen up the phone market with something that's familiar and well renowned to spark interest in something shiny.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-19-2015 04:22 PM
    Take it from a Guy who left to Android recently after around 10 WP devices.

Its functionality... By the os itself of course anf then apps. If the functiobality is there, everything is possible... Now , it just isnt... OS is lacking and crippled and evryone knows the app situation.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-19-2015 04:46 PM
    Who cares?
    stevemind likes this.
    08-19-2015 05:16 PM
    I'm not sure there's actually much needed. Just yesterday at work I got two queries about my Lumia 930 from people running high end Android and tiring of it - and one of those has already bought one!

Non-technophiles are really starting to tire of Android. Then they watch me get faultless service from Amalthea (for that is her name) day in, day out and want some of the same.
    I say this as a happy 930 owner - that news makes me cringe slightly. This was not a good time to buy a 930. I got one to replace a broken 920, but only because it was a dirt cheap refurb. The 950 will be so much further ahead of the 930, so I can't help but feel sorry for your friend over his/her purchase! I guess they can sell and trade up when the new one comes, if it's wanted.
    08-19-2015 05:22 PM
    As said in an other thread, windows apps work better on android than wp, so people will just be tempted to change, and then return back to android or ios
    The point is that those apps will be through the store, so most people will be none the wiser.
    08-19-2015 10:45 PM
    becuase as WM10 is still a preview so is Project astoria and even though the apps work there are still things to fix and add to astoria before you can say every android app can be added its still being made like WM10
    08-20-2015 03:34 AM
    Well I was a faithful android user, admit that the apps are a lot on Android. BUT I got really annoyed at how slow your phone can become after few months of usage so I switched to Lumia 640, and it is super quick, windows 10 is not so mature but it is surely a huge step. I miss certain apps but I see that Microsoft is on the right track. The only users who you can convince to migrate are users with 2 year old phones which are becoming slow S just show them how quick a windows phone is and they will consider 😊
    stevemind and TechAbstract like this.
    08-20-2015 05:32 AM
    Looked at honestly (without wearing the fanboy hat) there really is nothing. Ported apps are already available to those users, continuum is a niche feature, lack of lag is a myth (see resuming/loading issues), Microsoft apps are available on those platforms already. All WP had was a unique UI and that is going away, so for the vast majority of ios and android users there doesn't seem to be any reason to switch.
    This.
    08-20-2015 02:04 PM
    I say this as a happy 930 owner - that news makes me cringe slightly. This was not a good time to buy a 930. I got one to replace a broken 920, but only because it was a dirt cheap refurb. The 950 will be so much further ahead of the 930, so I can't help but feel sorry for your friend over his/her purchase! I guess they can sell and trade up when the new one comes, if it's wanted.
    I understand, I feel the same, but I wasn't involved in the decision and he did get a good deal. Beyond that, I'm confident his device will serve him well. He will of course get Windows 10 Mobile and it will be interesting to see how many of the new features it will be able to support.

Buying a 930 as a fashion statement right now is a lousy deal, but buying it as a potent tool is still great value.
    08-20-2015 03:00 PM
    I've been using the Win8, Win10 and Android. I like both platforms and currently switched back to the Nexus 6 due to lack of wifi calling (T-Mobile) and hot spot in Win10 TP. I agree with Theefman too. There really isn't a compelling reason other than not wanting to work with Google getting your data vs MS getting your data. tiles work for me and widgets are nice so either interface isn't a compromise for the way I work. MS ties in better with Win10 and Office365, but the MS services apps on Android are as good as what they have with Win10 phones. They seem to be out googling google.

The apps gap isn't an issue for me. Other than Starbucks and Google Maps, I have everything I need on Win10. I won't be using my phone as a PC so continuum, while a nice to have I guess, isn't a big deal. Security is a big deal, being able to block apps from getting my data is a big plus as is stopping malware and virus'. High quality handsets are needed.

In the end, I think MS is going to have to win back users to it's ecosystem (hate buzzwords) and hope to capitalize on Google and Apple missteps to gain market share and that's going to be a long haul. I was surprised they haven't jumped on "warning" users about stagefright and the high number of handsets that haven't even been patched yet. Makes more sense than those dopy scroogled commercials.

I wouldn't count them out, just look at the Surface product. First one was a dud but now, they're very successful.
    08-20-2015 07:40 PM
    Tuyet voi
    Last edited by Guytronic; 08-24-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    08-21-2015 02:28 PM
    I think that Microsoft should leverage their domination in Enterprise management (ex. Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange, etc.) to develop management tools exclusively for their Windows Phone (ex. RSAT for Windows phone). I understand the fact that they want to attract a lot of users in their software offering by doing IOS and Android versions to get them used but enterprises won't stop using Active Directory because the management tools cannot be used with IPhone and Android Phones. I would however foresee a lot of IT admin switching to Windows Phone to get first party management tools to be able to do their daily stuff (unlock account, reset password, troubleshoot IIS, etc.).

I also think that they need to offer the option for the phone to connect to AD as if it was a pc with admx files to manage the phones without using exclusively EAS. If they want to leverage Continuum in the enterprise environment, they need to offer better management option.
    08-21-2015 02:49 PM
    1. MS should stop developing its apps for Lagdroid and iCrap and pull them down from those stores.
    2. Aggressive marketing of W10 mobile and its advantages over Lagdroid and iCrap.
    3. Make people aware of Project Astoria, Project Islandwood and universal apps as well as Windows Continuum.
    4. Highlight and market aggressively the traditional hallmarks of WP such as its strong performance, lack of security issues, aesthetically beautiful UI etc.
    5. MS should restrict Lumias to the high-end and let the other OEMs release WP handsets for the low- and mid-range.
    Last edited by adkrish22290; 08-23-2015 at 05:09 AM.
    Sedp23 likes this.
    08-21-2015 11:59 PM
111 123 ...