Microsoft at Apple's live event 9/9/15

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I watched the whole thing, and you are right, most of this stuff is iterative but it is iterative on top of already very well received products and with a few nice twists thrown in. I think folks are mostly lamenting (in this thread) that MSFT sent their top Office guy to an Apple event to promote how great you can do productivity on the new iPad Pro tablet when they have a somewhat direct competitor in their own Surface tablet. They demo'd some really nice multitasking and gesture recognition features and the Adobe demo (which also showed these gestures) was quite nicely done too.

Love or hate Apple (and I know most people here can't help themselves but hate them) they not only sell products, in large quantities, but they do so making a heft profit, which they then invest into the ecosystem and they also know how to make the general public get excited about products.

I sent a message to a friend of mine at work today and said "Only Apple.... only they could get away with selling a "Pencil" that you have to recharge for $99". This was both a compliment and a sarcastic remark about how they can sell anything to so many for whatever price they want. They are masters of marketing.

There are a LOT of great things to like about the new iPhones, but then again, there were a lot of things to like about last years iPhones. These are just a tad snazzier, with more robust CPU/GPUs. I think 3D touch will be a nice feature once more developers make use of it. I already love touch ID on my 5S and wish it was an option on my Lumia phones. I am hoping the retina scanner/etc feature on the 950/XL are similarly secure but at the same time just as unobtrusive.

Still loving my 640, however I won't take anything away from Apple over today's event, they did a good job selling this years refresh, I think they will have another successful year with all of this. A little off topic but i'm quite interested to see how the new Apple TV works out. More competition in this area is a good thing.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Who cares if Microsoft made an appearance at an Apple event, nothing about it (regardless of MS' presence or not) was spectacular. Heck, the iPad is (as usual) overpriced and doesn't exactly splay a distinct edge against the competition... But who cares about it being uninteresting, it'll sell regardless.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

Attachments

• AppleMS comic.jpg
    AppleMS comic.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 63

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why people are behaving like this is a big deal. The Surface Pro 3/4 and even surface 3 are a better option when it comes to productivity. No matter how big they make the iPad it's still a consumer device. reason being that iOS is not productive in the Enterprise space. The Surface wins in this space. Obviously the mindless and stupid people at the Verge think otherwise.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Nothing, just more of the same. ipad pro that's bigger and faster than their regular ipad, but now with a surface like keyboard and pen. Also, Microsoft came on stage to show off Office.

The crowed Booed when tim sayd that who knows productivity more than Microsoft....

...Silence... :cricketsound:

and he goes Yes Microsoft!

and asks the Microsoft team to present office on stage! that was something.

lol

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
SMH... man people are messed up on this forum lately...

Microsoft = software company = where they make their money

Can we all grow up now and realise that there are different software teams working on different products? You know, like businesses are supposed to do? I don't get what's wrong with people these days. You almost get this impression that they haven't got a clue how large companies operate

Oh, maybe because they don't...

Last edited:

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why people are behaving like this is a big deal. The Surface Pro 3/4 and even surface 3 are a better option when it comes to productivity. No matter how big they make the iPad it's still a consumer device. reason being that iOS is not productive in the Enterprise space. The Surface wins in this space. Obviously the mindless and stupid people at the Verge think otherwise.

It will be good/pro enough to be a successful product for a lot of people needing a fast, light, office/mail/web -tablet.
This must be at least as fast as 95% of the laptops sold 5 years ago AND you know, people could work even back then (then add the performance boost from tablet optimized apps).

I'm sure that Office will help iPad pro outsell Surface/Surface pro already soon.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly why it's bothering me, it's not like Microsoft had to be there- everyone already knows Office is on an iPad. Why did they feel they had to come to a presentation that was clearly aimed at competing directly with the Surface Pro? Just strange.

What's next Nvidia going to start writing graphics drivers for AMD?

A lot of it has to do with Microsoft's war with Google. According to the Wall Street Journal; by April of 2014, about 16% of businesses used Google Docs versus only 7.7% that used Office 365. As we all know, Office is a huge part of Microsoft's bottom line.

If Microsoft has to suck up their pride and promote Office on Apple's stage to keep Google from stealing more of their bread, then I guess that's what they have to do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It will be good/pro enough to be a successful product for a lot of people needing a fast, light, office/mail/web -tablet.
This must be at least as fast as 95% of the laptops sold 5 years ago AND you know, people could work even back then (then add the performance boost from tablet optimized apps).

I'm sure that Office will help iPad pro outsell Surface/Surface pro already soon.

Does it really matter if it outsells the Surface?

It's an Apple product. They could have sold the exact same product as last year, but rebranded it and sold millions.

LiquidLearner

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This type of thing is exactly why Satya is good for MS. He recognizes that the OS will continue to be less important as time goes on. The services and applications are where the money is. Since MS is the only true software company out of the three major OS players today then they are smart in playing to that strength.

And they're talking up Office on the iPad Pro because this is the type of device an executive would buy and force the IT department to support.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This type of thing is exactly why Satya is good for MS. He recognizes that the OS will continue to be less important as time goes on. The services and applications are where the money is. Since MS is the only true software company out of the three major OS players today then they are smart in playing to that strength.

And they're talking up Office on the iPad Pro because this is the type of device an executive would buy and force the IT department to support.

Windows isn't their biggest earner anymore and hasn't been for awhile now.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Windows Fan Boy you could say, I have always hated anything apple....quicktime to iPhone. I guess I have softened some over the years.....

Mainly I realize they (Microsoft), are using a New Business model to keep profits up, so it in truth does not bug me at all that they would push to have Microsoft services on iPod, iPad, iPhone, I can even handle Cortana going to Android/iPhone. They need ways to drum up cash.

Where I loose my mind and my @*#t is in the wearable market....I have no beef with The Band, and I see it as a way for Microsoft to find more success. However that is in the Fitness field, and Microsoft does not seem to see there is a population among Windows Phone users who are in dire need of a Smart Watch, much like the now Canceled Moonraker ( The Nokia companion Watch to the Lumia 930 ).

Just yesterday I had a minor melt down when I opened Facebook and Microsoft posted this little tid bit..........
Derp.jpg

I have been pushing hard to draw attention to the fact to date 0 Smart Watches support us, and Microsoft is doing everything for Android Wear/Apple Watch, and leaving Lumia brand still with no option for a Smart Watch.

Again I get this is the business model, but in truth how do things like this make a Loyal Lumia Fan feel????? Even worse is a Loyal fan in dire need of a Windows ready Smart Watch......... ( Please don't say Pebble....there is no Official Pebble support it's a hack and 3rd Party app...and even the 3rd Party app developer was turned down for access to the WP api's)

Are they really so blind they can not see they are slapping the very people who keep their platform alive in the face?????

I am all for Microsoft anything anywhere....but they truly need to address their own platform first and get things in order before they go out and romance Apple/Android users...... just my 2 cents.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
SMH... man people are messed up on this forum lately...

Microsoft = software company = where they make their money

Can we all grow up now and realise that there are different software teams working on different products? You know, like businesses are supposed to do? I don't get what's wrong with people these days. You almost get this impression that they haven't got a clue how large companies operate

Oh, maybe because they don't...

Well, even in a “superlarge, hard to understand unless you’re a Mastermind”, -organization I do think it is possible to move resources around?
I.e. one part is lagging behind severely and IF you feel their work is important, you give them resources?
However, IF you don’t care about this minor part of your company, you’re happy and continue with your real priorities (iOS/Android).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, even in a “superlarge, hard to understand unless you’re a Mastermind”, -organization I do think it is possible to move resources around?
I.e. one part is lagging behind severely and IF you feel their work is important, you give them resources?
However, IF you don’t care about this minor part of your company, you’re happy and continue with your real priorities (iOS/Android).

You're just guessing at the whole thing, what else is new.

OS development is different than application development. Come back when you have a real argument.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What is your point?
Is MS in some way restricted from hiring qualified people?

No but you're implying that the team that's working on this is too slow and that by throwing more resources at it things will happen faster and better.

It's a great fallacy to think that more people = more productive. I've been on way too many projects to know this lie well.

I think they'd be a lot further ahead if they didn't bother with the TP but that's my opinion.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
No but you're implying that the team that's working on this is too slow and that by throwing more resources at it things will happen faster and better.

It's a great fallacy to think that more people = more productive. I've been on way too many projects to know this lie well.

The good ol Ringelmann effect...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The good ol Ringelmann effect...

Well not entirely that effect but there is some of that on any large project. It's the nature of the beast.

To be a bit more clear, what I've seen happen in the past is that effective communication and tasking tends to go out the window the more people you have on a project. There can be doubling up of tasks, mistakes increasing, wasted energy on tasks not required, etc. I've seen it all. Hell it's happen on the project I'm currently on...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster