Microsoft at Apple's live event 9/9/15

Ronald Kenwood

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What's all the fuzz about. Microsoft owns Office and Apple does not have any right to say anything about the functionality of Office. Apple should be ashamed, having 110 billion dollars on their bankaccount and not being able to make an Office program, being totally dependant on Microsoft, the better sotware company.
One word of Cook about how Office works and he will surely be sued by Microsoft, so that''s why Apple had to pay the head honcho of Office to come to tell the Office story.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
What's all the fuzz about. Microsoft owns Office and Apple does not have any right to say anything about the functionality of Office. Apple should be ashamed, having 110 billion dollars on their bankaccount and not being able to make an Office program, being totally dependant on Microsoft, the better sotware company.
One word of Cook about how Office works and he will surely be sued by Microsoft, so that''s why Apple had to pay the head honcho of Office to come to tell the Office story.

Don't you think they can do it if you want to? Who knows, apple might already be working on a "pro-office"? Their problem is not the development, their problem is their limited amount of osx machines. IF the iPad pro is successful, things might be in another situation for apple?
Or, will MS and Apple constrain themselves from "open war" as long as Google is their worst enemy?

morozshawn

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
To be honest, the only thing that kind of excited me was the iPad Pro, but the Surface is still way better, in terms of everything, at least in my opinion.

Iuri Mitika

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been deeply dreaming about this - because iTunes sucks big, and having no way to use Apple Music in my phone sucks even bigger. But no hopes, though.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, the only thing that kind of excited me was the iPad Pro, but the Surface is still way better, in terms of everything, at least in my opinion.

Still the better option. The iPencil was a joke. But of course Apple glorifies everything with those dramatic narratives.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Still the better option. The iPencil was a joke. But of course Apple glorifies everything with those dramatic narratives.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

iPencil was actually pretty good. I've been hoping that MS would add tilt sensitivity to the Surface Pen.

The iPencil was the only thing I thought was interesting.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should get Morgan Freeman to narrate the event on the 6/10.

seriously, they should learn how things can easily get self marketed on the internet using specific media channels.

they should hire some of those youtubers/ redditors or somebody of that sort.

A simple cat and a unicorn made more voice than most of the things that Microsoft did in the past.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Celebrity Endorsement Advertising could actually do Microsoft some good.

Showing Celebrities using Surfaces, Lumia Flagships, The Band, and Xbox would look really good for Ms.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if celebrity endorsement would work. I think MS is on the right track with product placement.

The Surface should be seen casually in popular shows and movies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
announcers still can't stop calling them iPads.

They're not doing it deliberately. This is called brandnomer or genericized trademark, where a popular product becomes the name of the entire class it is a part of. It is why we call facial tissue "Kleenex." Or we call a snow machine a "Skidoo." Or we call gelatin dessert "Jello." An insulated coffee container is called a "Thermos." LIkewise, a tablet is generally called an "iPad."

That said, the announcers should be trained. Microsoft is spending a pretty penny on the endorsement, not to mention whatever they're getting into the proprietary software the NFL teams are using on the sidelines. The least they could do is to make sure that the announcers call them what they are. Apple is probably watching and giggling with glee!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Celebrity endorsement and product placement have tended to backfire on Microsoft.

Celebrity endorsement was part of the WP8 push, and we had discussion on Jessica Alba.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s-using-windows-phone-soon-contract-ends.html

Microsoft had to pay to the NFL to get Surfaces on the sidelines, and dumb announcers still can't stop calling them iPads.

Although those were celebrities endorsing half baked products.

These Windows 10 Devices will actually be on par if not better than the competition. With a few things to offer that the competition doesn't.

A feature full OS (unlike 8) + spec'd out phones (which the w8 flagships weren't) should be good.
Not to mention there'll be new features, which is about all the w8 flagships had, considering the is, and specs weren't the best

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
They're not doing it deliberately. This is called brandnomer or genericized trademark, where a popular product becomes the name of the entire class it is a part of. It is why we call facial tissue "Kleenex." Or we call a snow machine a "Skidoo." Or we call gelatin dessert "Jello." An insulated coffee container is called a "Thermos." LIkewise, a tablet is generally called an "iPad."

That said, the announcers should be trained. Microsoft is spending a pretty penny on the endorsement, not to mention whatever they're getting into the proprietary software the NFL teams are using on the sidelines. The least they could do is to make sure that the announcers call them what they are. Apple is probably watching and giggling with glee!

Another example

"Vaseline" instead of petroleum jelly

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft is 'coaching' NFL TV announcers to correctly identify Surface tablets in games | Windows Central

They were coached, and it doesn't appear to be working. Apparently the announcer called the tablet an iPad on the first game of the season.

Also, I'm not sure iPad has become a generic trademark. Are people out there calling Android and Windows tablets iPads?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Another example

"Vaseline" instead of petroleum jelly

Yes, it is very common. And we all do it. But 99.9% of the people who watch NFL probably don't even know that the announcers are mistaken. It's just that because it is a field we're all interested in, we notice, and it irks us.

Either way, the damage is being done. Apple is getting endorsed, and Microsoft is footing the bill. I don't think it's done very often though. I've not personally heard the announcers call them iPads, and they do mention Microsoft Surface quite a lot.

Also, I'm not sure iPad has become a generic trademark. Are people out there calling Android and Windows tablets iPads?

Oh yes! I work in the industry, and lots of our customers call any tablet an iPad. iPad as a generic trademark may not be as strong as some like Kleenex or Jello, but it is certainly there.

simon.b

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Not this again.

There are a lot of ipads and there are a lot of office users. There is certainly an overlap in target audience so there is a mutual business intrest for these companies. I don't know why this is so hard to understand for some people. Companies are not managed emotionally, or at least they shouldn't be.

There are even things where MS works together with google. Yes MS working with their supposed enemy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss