WP community descends into cannibalism and woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes the secret is out and its hard not for outside bloggers to not notice just how much heat is generated as a result of this experimental Technical Preview. Every new phone dropped running android and IOS is and will be compared, rightly or wrongly to the latest preview, and its driving the natives mad. Some have left entirely.

If I had to make the call at MS, unless you are an MSDN member or paid a 99 dollar fee, you won't get access to TP.

..but I digress

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The frustration is totally understandable to me if you're a WP loyalists, especially for years, when things look like they a crumbling around you I'm not sure anyone could expect this not too happen.
What exactly is crumbling? Have u seen our marketshare?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If I had to make the call at MS, unless you are an MSDN member or paid a 99 dollar fee, you won't get access to TP.

Kinda sorta like on WP7 when we had to buy the Chevron tokens for interop unlock? Yeah Jaz, I like the idea, but I digress as well.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, therein lies the problem. "Wait and see" has basically been the Windows Phone mantra, a la "there's always next year" for Cubs fans (like me). There has to be a point where waiting turns into seeing. We waited on WP7. It barely got any attention, had its heart ripped out, and we waited on WP8 as people on WP7 got stuck without an upgrade path. We got told to wait and see for apps, and then for 8.1. Then we watched Microsoft do things like gut the Music+Video apps from the OS level and tell us to wait and see as the updated it, only to abandon the new app for W10M development. Now, we've been told to wait for W10M. Even within that, we're being told BEFORE IT LAUNCHES to wait and see for Project Astoria and Project Islandwood, as we're being told that those key features won't be ready at launch, and maybe not anywhere close to it.

I think the new phones are ugly (particularly the 950). I hate the new design of pop-out menus everywhere. I hate the new mail and calendar apps, and Groove Music is the worst music player I've used in my life, without exaggeration (and music is the #1 thing I do on my phone, with maybe only texting to rival it).

All of that said, I'm fine with waiting another 1-2 months. However, after being told to wait on McLaren, then the 930, and then spending 3 years on my 920 because of broken promises with devices (which kept me from getting a 1520 at the time), expecting patience and happiness from a user base Microsoft abuses like it's a bunch of Apple sheep isn't really fair. Patience only goes so far when the promises constantly lead to either continued failure, backpedaling in quality, or simply nothing. It used to be that I would recommend WP8 to ANYONE as it launched, because we were told the apps would come. Now, 3 years later, I don't even make phone suggestions of any kind to people, because I've just lost faith in Microsoft as a software provider. That doesn't change that I hate iOS (specifically Apple) and Android (after a 2-year run with it) too much to use them, so I'll stick with W10M, but it is perfectly understandable, and even reasonable, that this community would take a turn for the worse when they get jerked around by Microsoft on a quarterly basis.

Fully-agree; except I'm a Mets fan : )

If it weren't for both of our teams finally coming around and (knocking on wood) heading into the playoffs, things would even be worse.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If that's how you feel then you're free to leave, there are plenty of other platforms and Microsoft isn't hold a gun to your head and making you stay. The point is that W10M isn't even at the RTM stage yet and all we've seen of the 950/950XL are the leaked renders. So feel free to judge based on what we've seen so far, that up to you, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Not everyone feels that same way though, but attacking others for having a differing opinion is tearing this community apart from the inside and it really is a sad thing to see.

Please, go back and read his post and rethink your response.

KW has been hanging on for years, as have I, waiting for MS to finally live up to what some of us feel is the real potential, but they continue to disappoint.

These are the WP users you really want to tell "you're free to leave".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Fully-agree; except I'm a Mets fan : )

If it weren't for both of our teams finally coming around and (knocking on wood) heading into the playoffs, things would even be worse.

Thanks to both of you for injecting some badly needed lighthearted humor into this thread. But I must warn the two of you that the season is far from over. As a Mets fan you must remember the meltdown in 2007 (or 2008?) when my Marlins shellacked Tommy Glavine on the last day of the season. To my Cubs fan, I think I've said enough by being a Marlins fan.

I know, I know. We suck too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for injecting some badly needed lighthearted humor into this thread. But I must warn the two of you that the season is far from over. As a Mets fan you must remember the meltdown in 2007 (or 2008?) when my Marlins shellacked Tommy Glavine on the last day of the season. To my Cubs fan, I think I've said enough by being a Marlins fan.

I know, I know. We suck too.
I would be surprised if the Mets don't make it, considering that big lead in the NL East. We are near half of the month now, it would take like almost a perfect half to this month to stand a chance. My Nats dropped the ball, so to me the season is already over. Yay for baseball!

Okay, not going to derail any further but seeing baseball in the forums is cool.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I love the sub title and picture
"[h=2]Fanbois turn on fanbois, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria"[/h]
where do i sign up for the brain feeding buffet?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What exactly is crumbling? Have u seen our marketshare?

Well I did say "look like" and as with most things here it is my personal opinion and perception, I do believe the negativity/assumptions/delays etc. aren't having a positive impact unless I am missing something... Last seen market shares were around 2.5%, that is similar to 2014 and low compared to 2013, then it was 3.4%.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
W10 Technical preview is being built and we are given an opportunity to use it as it is being completed. Any major changes made at this point would result in delays to the launch, so if you have used multiple builds, you have a pretty good idea of how W10 Mobile will be as a final product. Most posts with complaints aren't regarding the TP's bugs and glitches, because it is understood they come with the territory. Users complaints are regarding features of the OS itself. Install the next build and use it for a week. If you like it, then you will have much to be excited for by its launch. If you don't like it, then don't be a fool expecting major changes to happen, because they won't.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that not only did the OP violate The Register's copyright by copying their entire article, but also the rules of the Windows Central forums.
Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
Link to Mobile Nations Stories Only - Please link all related stories to the appropriate Mobile Nations blog. For example, if you are talking about a new Android device that just came out... Link to the story on the Android Central blog, instead of some other site. Chances are we wrote it first, better, and deserve a little love. In addition, do not copy and paste stories in their entirety. Writers (from all sites) work hard, and deserve proper credit. We reserve the right to remove links to posts or close threads linking to articles similar to those published.
Keep it Legal - Moderators and admins reserve the right to close threads and ban members that post copyrighted and/or illegal materials. These kinds of activities can get us into trouble, and nobody wants that... so just don't do it. If you have questions on this, ask a moderator.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Look at the facts of today. There is little point lamenting at the decisons of the past to predict the possible decisions of the future as its a different animal to what it was. The decisions made are of course from a business stand point and money/loss is not a factor at the start, look at original Surface where a billion in stock was written off, yet necesary in building the surface brand into what it is today. MS WILL release the Surface phone and people will scream haalelujjah!! its exactly what weve been waiting for, however the time is not today as W10 is not ready for it, Office is not ready IMO, Enterprise is not ready, WP10 is not Ready, Intel are not ready....its coming and everything MS has done recently is for this reason. I understand the impatience and feel the 950's are to satisfy those impatient people, not to win over the fans, if they wanted that they would release the Surface Phone and scream and shout about all the integration possible......MS is heading in the diagram below, to attach everything seamlessly, Phone is one piece of this puzzle, its just not the time to place it. Have faith people, stick with them, the foundations for greatness across the board have been laid :)

Attachments

• microsoftvsgooglevsapple.01-620x338.jpg
    microsoftvsgooglevsapple.01-620x338.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 71

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Once Microsoft have had their big October event, I anticipate things to be a little different around here. At the moment, people can't see the bigger picture for Windows Mobile 10 and since people usually fear the unknown it brings all kinds of emotions to the surface, in-turn causing a lot of the heated discussions I see here.

I am remaining open minded about the announcement, since I think Microsoft are keeping a few important cards close to their chest and it's the possible reason as to why they have left considerable breathing room following the Apple event, in order to coordinate their own event to parry Apple's announcements.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Once Microsoft have had their big October event, I anticipate things to be a little different around here. At the moment, people can't see the bigger picture for Windows Mobile 10 and since people usually fear the unknown it brings all kinds of emotions to the surface, in-turn causing a lot of the heated discussions I see here.

I am remaining open minded about the announcement, since I think Microsoft are keeping a few important cards close to their chest and it's the possible reason as to why they have left considerable breathing room following the Apple event, in order to coordinate their own event to parry Apple's announcements.

Ya, same here. This October event is going to really be the moment I think. Cant wait for it to start.

xaeryan

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, therein lies the problem. "Wait and see" has basically been the Windows Phone mantra, a la "there's always next year" for Cubs fans (like me). There has to be a point where waiting turns into seeing. We waited on WP7. It barely got any attention, had its heart ripped out, and we waited on WP8 as people on WP7 got stuck without an upgrade path. We got told to wait and see for apps, and then for 8.1. Then we watched Microsoft do things like gut the Music+Video apps from the OS level and tell us to wait and see as the updated it, only to abandon the new app for W10M development. Now, we've been told to wait for W10M. Even within that, we're being told BEFORE IT LAUNCHES to wait and see for Project Astoria and Project Islandwood, as we're being told that those key features won't be ready at launch, and maybe not anywhere close to it.

I think the new phones are ugly (particularly the 950). I hate the new design of pop-out menus everywhere. I hate the new mail and calendar apps, and Groove Music is the worst music player I've used in my life, without exaggeration (and music is the #1 thing I do on my phone, with maybe only texting to rival it).

All of that said, I'm fine with waiting another 1-2 months. However, after being told to wait on McLaren, then the 930, and then spending 3 years on my 920 because of broken promises with devices (which kept me from getting a 1520 at the time), expecting patience and happiness from a user base Microsoft abuses like it's a bunch of Apple sheep isn't really fair. Patience only goes so far when the promises constantly lead to either continued failure, backpedaling in quality, or simply nothing. It used to be that I would recommend WP8 to ANYONE as it launched, because we were told the apps would come. Now, 3 years later, I don't even make phone suggestions of any kind to people, because I've just lost faith in Microsoft as a software provider. That doesn't change that I hate iOS (specifically Apple) and Android (after a 2-year run with it) too much to use them, so I'll stick with W10M, but it is perfectly understandable, and even reasonable, that this community would take a turn for the worse when they get jerked around by Microsoft on a quarterly basis.

^ This. All of it. Couldn't have said it better. Except the baseball stuff. I don't know baseball, but whatever team Joe Montana is on is gonna win.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly to me the most important thing is the actual Start screen tile UI. And in windows 10 it has been enhanced to be even better. All the other small UI changes within apps, etc.. aren't as important to me. If they ever got rid of the tile UI that is the only reason I love Windows phone so much. I love how I can customize my screen to be personalized for my own needs as well as show case some of my inner artistic side. Every time I look at my start I feel proud that I made that and no one else has that. I know where all my apps are because I put them there based on my usage patterns. It's quick and easy to use.

YUP, yup yup yup yup yup

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Gee, this is exactly what I say about everyone who hated WP8 and Windows 8. But suddenly the OS goes back to favor Windows 7 and they're telling ME I'm wrong? I'm sorry, but I call BS. I've been with Windows Phone from the absolute beginning. I've been with Windows 8 since the absolute beginning. I have loved BOTH, with very few reservations. I've been using Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile since they both started, and I've hated them because they got rid of (or significantly reduced) the things I love about the OS. The immersive experience is gone. The treatment of the desktop as a separate, scalable window from Metro apps, gone. The consistent and EASILY accessed settings, sharing, devices (e.g., the Charms) gone (in favor of a mishmash of unpredictable and user-spiteful versions within apps), he mouse gestures that mimick touch, gone. The entire user experience is spiteful compared to Windows 8. I am absolutely right that this thing is just turning into a quasi-Android operating system.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. The Start screen is infinitely better in WP8 and Windows 8. I find nothing acceptable about it in Windows 10, not even though I've forced it to tablet mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans