WP community descends into cannibalism and woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with that last line. I've been nearly a day 1 user (Samsung Focus) and at times it feels like they just don't want my business. I will get a W10 device though, and ride it through one more wave.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Some great points made, most which seem to elude the sycophants here striving to be SatNad's (awesome nickname btw) new best frient on the internet. But watch out as you'll now be labelled a complainer and the MDF (Microsoft Defence Force) will soon be here to deal with you with the appropriate "wah, wah, gtfo" remarks.....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding the levels of hate being spewed. Windows 10 is the best iteration of the desktop OS that Microsoft has ever released. I've done 2 upgrades on my home computers and both have been perfectly trouble-free. Please note that I'm using equipment that are over 5 years old each and display drivers have been the only items I've had to update after the installs. Each one was done via Windows Update and I've experienced zero app crashes. Before upgrading I made sure each machine was 100% compatible for hardware and my installed programs. Only then did I proceed. The process is very easy and the instructions couldn't be any simpler to understand for the most technologically challenged person. What more could Microsoft do other than send millions of techs out to each person's home or business and do the upgrades for them.

As for Mobile, it's not out yet. There's nothing more to add and it's fruitless to comment on something that Microsoft clearly stated should not be used except for testing and feedback.

For the record, I use Windows Phone 8.1 (work phone), Android (tablet), PalmOS (PDA) and Symbian (personal phone) on a daily basis. I have no qualms about using different platforms, each has its merits and I take advantage of it to make my life easier. Tomorrow, that list may change with the exception of the PDA. Nobody has yet to come up with something better than Graffiti.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I am not surprised, people who have stayed long enough have more or less became the bitter old man, frustrated with whats happened.

I however believe that its better to see the actual product when it launches, instead of looking at leaks or renders. Eg : The One plus two looked bad in leaks and renders, im sure many other phones have been judged that way too.

All that said, people want Microsoft to deliver, I for one are one of those who is not ecstatic about the availability of certain unique features on the competition but then again i understand why its being done.

Meantime I look forward to see MS deliver.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to agree or disagree with the article, there are some good points being made particularly about the community arguing amongst themselves. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but attacking others for having a different opinion is counter productive to what makes the WP community awesome to be a part of, just look at the Cityman and Talkman leaks and how many people were treating to leaks as the real thing or the complaints about the Lumia apps being removed.

Lets wait and see what Microsoft have in store for all of us first before making judgements. This community used to be great so lets stop the implosion that the community is going through before it's too late.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'll give Windows 10 Mobile a year after launch before I proclaim without a doubt that it's amazing or not. As of now I quite like it even if it feels incomplete.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'll give Windows 10 Mobile a year after launch before I proclaim without a doubt that it's amazing or not. As of now I quite like it even if it feels incomplete.

Exactly what I'm doing, I've always found with Microsoft that it's best to look at the bigger picture than just one part of it.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
From the comments section in that article:

"Have you tried WinPhone 10?

WP8 is the first mobile OS I have actually liked using. WP10 currently looks like a cheap Android imitation, most if not all of the UI features of WP8 that I like are gone or on the way out. I sincerely hope they make some drastic changes before release, but I think that is unlikely at this point.

I'm not liking the way this is going..."

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
So that's why W10M looks a bit Android-ish. With Project Astoria coming they'll make sure all those imported apps fit as much as possible into the Windows 10 ecosystem. Interesting.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I can see that most people complaining Windows 10 Mobile insist that it introduces big changes in UI compared with WP 8.1, but they failed to point out exactly any problem caused by such changes. They seem to be reluctant to adjust their habits a little bit to adapt to a new OS.

Just like the above article, which has no real content at all. Just a series of complaints.

After all, Windows 10 Mobile is a NEW major OS. Changes are expected. And these changes are not just for the purpose of change, but for the purpose of perfect alignment with the whole Windows 10 architecture (desktop/tablet, mobile, and even Xbox, HoloLens).

I used a technical build of W10 Mobile before - at least the start screen looks even cooler and the settings is much much organized before. I can see that most of the changes are geared more towards average users.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I can see that most people complaining Windows 10 Mobile insist that it introduces big changes in UI compared with WP 8.1, but they failed to point out exactly any problem caused by such changes.

No, people here have been pretty clear on why they have a problem with the changes that were made. I'm not saying I agree with them, but the panorama or pivot views and bold metro iconography at the top of screens have been trashed, and mundane hamburger menu's have taken their place. The visual cues that made the OS unique have been sacrificed in order to appease the unwashed masses that may make the switch from iOS or Android.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Lets wait and see what Microsoft have in store for all of us first before making judgements. This community used to be great so lets stop the implosion that the community is going through before it's too late.

Well, therein lies the problem. "Wait and see" has basically been the Windows Phone mantra, a la "there's always next year" for Cubs fans (like me). There has to be a point where waiting turns into seeing. We waited on WP7. It barely got any attention, had its heart ripped out, and we waited on WP8 as people on WP7 got stuck without an upgrade path. We got told to wait and see for apps, and then for 8.1. Then we watched Microsoft do things like gut the Music+Video apps from the OS level and tell us to wait and see as the updated it, only to abandon the new app for W10M development. Now, we've been told to wait for W10M. Even within that, we're being told BEFORE IT LAUNCHES to wait and see for Project Astoria and Project Islandwood, as we're being told that those key features won't be ready at launch, and maybe not anywhere close to it.

I think the new phones are ugly (particularly the 950). I hate the new design of pop-out menus everywhere. I hate the new mail and calendar apps, and Groove Music is the worst music player I've used in my life, without exaggeration (and music is the #1 thing I do on my phone, with maybe only texting to rival it).

All of that said, I'm fine with waiting another 1-2 months. However, after being told to wait on McLaren, then the 930, and then spending 3 years on my 920 because of broken promises with devices (which kept me from getting a 1520 at the time), expecting patience and happiness from a user base Microsoft abuses like it's a bunch of Apple sheep isn't really fair. Patience only goes so far when the promises constantly lead to either continued failure, backpedaling in quality, or simply nothing. It used to be that I would recommend WP8 to ANYONE as it launched, because we were told the apps would come. Now, 3 years later, I don't even make phone suggestions of any kind to people, because I've just lost faith in Microsoft as a software provider. That doesn't change that I hate iOS (specifically Apple) and Android (after a 2-year run with it) too much to use them, so I'll stick with W10M, but it is perfectly understandable, and even reasonable, that this community would take a turn for the worse when they get jerked around by Microsoft on a quarterly basis.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I can see that most people complaining Windows 10 Mobile insist that it introduces big changes in UI compared with WP 8.1, but they failed to point out exactly any problem caused by such changes. They seem to be reluctant to adjust their habits a little bit to adapt to a new OS.

Just like the above article, which has no real content at all. Just a series of complaints.

Hard to reach hamburger menus? Removal of hubs, Metro design language and other nice touches that attracted people to the platform in the first place? Yeah, no problems there.

When you leave a badly designed OS (Android or iOS) for WP and really enjoy the unique and user friendly UI it's more than a little disheartening to see MS strip all that you liked and throw it in the dumpster for a more generic watered down design. There's just nothing magical or compelling to me about using apps that look and function like cheap mobile websites. It's like pulling out your phone and seeing a picture of your ex-wife. I left Android for this garbage and now I'm being told to adapt? Yeah, right. I might as well go back to Android then and get the real thing than this wannabe junk. The OS might be trash but at least it's consistent and didn't lead me on with empty promises.

After all, Windows 10 Mobile is a NEW major OS. Changes are expected. And these changes are not just for the purpose of change, but for the purpose of perfect alignment with the whole Windows 10 architecture (desktop/tablet, mobile, and even Xbox, HoloLens).

Change is only good if it's building upon what works and going forward. Just ask tablet users how much they like the new downgraded "tablet mode" in W10. Hearing "it's a preview" or "it will be fixed later" isn't giving them much confidence.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, therein lies the problem. "Wait and see" has basically been the Windows Phone mantra, a la "there's always next year" for Cubs fans (like me). There has to be a point where waiting turns into seeing. We waited on WP7. It barely got any attention, had its heart ripped out, and we waited on WP8 as people on WP7 got stuck without an upgrade path. We got told to wait and see for apps, and then for 8.1. Then we watched Microsoft do things like gut the Music+Video apps from the OS level and tell us to wait and see as the updated it, only to abandon the new app for W10M development. Now, we've been told to wait for W10M. Even within that, we're being told BEFORE IT LAUNCHES to wait and see for Project Astoria and Project Islandwood, as we're being told that those key features won't be ready at launch, and maybe not anywhere close to it.

I think the new phones are ugly (particularly the 950). I hate the new design of pop-out menus everywhere. I hate the new mail and calendar apps, and Groove Music is the worst music player I've used in my life, without exaggeration (and music is the #1 thing I do on my phone, with maybe only texting to rival it).

All of that said, I'm fine with waiting another 1-2 months. However, after being told to wait on McLaren, then the 930, and then spending 3 years on my 920 because of broken promises with devices (which kept me from getting a 1520 at the time), expecting patience and happiness from a user base Microsoft abuses like it's a bunch of Apple sheep isn't really fair. Patience only goes so far when the promises constantly lead to either continued failure, backpedaling in quality, or simply nothing. It used to be that I would recommend WP8 to ANYONE as it launched, because we were told the apps would come. Now, 3 years later, I don't even make phone suggestions of any kind to people, because I've just lost faith in Microsoft as a software provider. That doesn't change that I hate iOS (specifically Apple) and Android (after a 2-year run with it) too much to use them, so I'll stick with W10M, but it is perfectly understandable, and even reasonable, that this community would take a turn for the worse when they get jerked around by Microsoft on a quarterly basis.

If that's how you feel then you're free to leave, there are plenty of other platforms and Microsoft isn't hold a gun to your head and making you stay. The point is that W10M isn't even at the RTM stage yet and all we've seen of the 950/950XL are the leaked renders. So feel free to judge based on what we've seen so far, that up to you, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Not everyone feels that same way though, but attacking others for having a differing opinion is tearing this community apart from the inside and it really is a sad thing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs