I was excited about October 6th howzabout you?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Not excited at all. I have a 640 (midrange ) Windows phone and a Moto G lte (midrange) Android phone. No midrange announced. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and a Kindle Fire HDX Android tablets. And my desktop is a HP Envy 27 inch touch screen with a I5 processor and 8GB of ram. Better than a Surface, what's to be excited about. Maybe next year as Microsoft always says.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Not excited at all. I have a 640 (midrange ) Windows phone and a Moto G lte (midrange) Android phone. No midrange announced. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and a Kindle Fire HDX Android tablets. And my desktop is a HP Envy 27 inch touch screen with a I5 processor and 8GB of ram. Better than a Surface, what's to be excited about. Maybe next year as Microsoft always says.

LOL
What's better than a Surface?
Certainly nothing you listed there.

I mean you can't really compare a Surface to a desktop, although spec wise it only beats it in screen size... but you can't exactly take it with you. And those tablets, they're not even close to the same class of device.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? They released enough low end junk last year to cover a decade.

Exactly the problem. They released too much junk, which is why their low end push failed. They don't need the junk Nokia was pushing out like the 635, 530, 430, 435 and all of those variations, they need their own 520, a low cost, high value phone for the masses.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I truly feel Nokia could've had more success in the U.S if they just had better branding and fought for better carrier availability.

If the 920 was instead the Nokia Lumia X (or sumthin like that) and it had availability on At&t AND tmobile or Verizon it could've seen better success than a variant for each carrier and a hideous numbering system.

Simplicity would've been good for them and sadly they wanted to be more complicated than they needed to

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the problem. They released too much junk, which is why their low end push failed. They don't need the junk Nokia was pushing out like the 635, 530, 430, 435 and all of those variations, they need their own 520, a low cost, high value phone for the masses.

The low end push failed because the product was weak. WP 8.1 is a horrible operating system and It doesn't have many apps. Even selling the phones under the cost and with a decent investment in marketing, people just didn't want them.

Variety increases sales. Just look at what happens with Android. There are thousands of OEMs, each offering many models. They cover any possible combination of specs and brand message. Android has 80% of market share.

Nobody buys high end Windows Phones. The Icon, 930, 1520 were all failures. Windows phone found a small niche in the low end segment, over 70% of the sales are low end devices. With a weak line-up of low end Lumias, reduced marketing spending and limited distribution, sales are going to fall of a cliff. With such a low market share, Developers won't even consider porting their Android apps to WP and the platform will be effectively dead.

Windows phone can survive without flagship devices, but It won't survive without a solid line up of low end phones.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm...
Not really excited.
Going to take the 'wait and see' approach.

(NOTE: I'm comparing with WP8 and 920 announcement...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb