I was excited about October 6th howzabout you?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm even more excited about this event after talking to my buddy who works for Microsoft. I saw him last night, and he said the new Surface is way more than anyone is expecting. I tried to pry some info out of him, and I don't know how Microsoft does it, but he would not budge lol. They have a very strict NDA, but what he could tell me, was that it was backward compatible with current Surface Pro 3 docking stations and accessories, and that is was MUCH MUCH MORE than ANYONE is expecting!

Whatever it is, they're sure keeping a tight lid on it. I'm really hoping that the new phones have something that surprises us as well at this event. He has told me before that these ARM based (950 and 950XL) phones are going to be good, but the Intel based phones coming in January/February are going to be the ones to watch. He says "those are the phones I'm waiting for,"

You have me like super excited now! 😭

Not only did I not really expect much from the Sp4 other than lighter, thinner, and faster, but I also wasn't really expecting the Intel phone (hopefully will be surface branded) to have any official participation in public viewing as early as February...

I hope your Friend is right 😁

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You have me like super excited now! ��

Not only did I not really expect much from the Sp4 other than lighter, thinner, and faster, but I also wasn't really expecting the Intel phone (hopefully will be surface branded) to have any official participation in public viewing as early as February...

I hope your Friend is right ��

I hope he's right too! When he was telling me that the S4 is going to be "much much more than anyone is expecting" I was thinking "what could it have?" I was like "ah, ok, so it's going to have a 4K screen, 1TB of storage, 16GB of RAM, The latest Intel Skylake Processor and Windows Hello right?" He just shook his head in a "no" gesture and said "again,,I can't say (laughing), but it's going to be waaaay more than anyone is expecting!" o_O

With the Intel phones, keep in mind, Microsoft has been known to push things back. They've delayed things in the past, and even cancelled things at the last minute. With that said, this wasn't the first time this guy has told me about the Intel phones coming in January-February, and I have a pretty good feeling he knows a little something. Let's just keep our fingers crossed, but not count our chickens before they hatch.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't put much stock into what random Microsoft employees say, unless they actually work in the division related to what they're telling you (in which case they must not value their job).

My experience is that they are just blowing smoke or repeating what another employee told - who was equally clueless. In May I had one employee tell me that they were releasing the SP4 in July and a flagship in August. I knew he was full of it, but I played along.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
He has told me before that these ARM based (950 and 950XL) phones are going to be good, but the Intel based phones coming in January/February are going to be the ones to watch. He says "those are the phones I'm waiting for,"

So the vicious cycle repeats again.... "The next one will be it." lol.....

Anyways, I'm not excited about Oct 6. All I want is the final version of Windows 10 Mobile. Not interested in SP4. So Oct 6 holds nothing for me.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Honestly not the least. I'm more excited about my wife's Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 direct imported from China. What a phone for 140 $, can't stop playing with it.

vcarvega

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm excited for the Surface Pro 4 announcements. I've been looking forward to purchasing one all year. I'm interested to find out what the different configuration choices will be, and whether the 14" will suffer shorter battery life due to beefier processor, larger screen, and/or higher resolution. Mostly I'm interested in how much they'll cost and how soon I can get one.

I want to see and hear about the phones as well, but I'm not convinced that my next phone will be a Windows phone yet. I enjoyed my 1520, but the apps and polishing of stock Android are still so much more compelling. On the other hand, I'm not really interested in either of the new Nexus phones either.

vcarvega

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Mostly interested in the 950XL to see if it can sway me away from my iPhone 6+. Windows OS is much better than iOS, and app support will hopefully improve once 10 Mobile is out to the public.
I recently ditched my iPad Air 2 for a Surface 3 and haven't looked back. I'll see what's in store for Surface next year and skip the Pro 4, only because the non pro 3 I have is only a few weeks old, and doing a great job for how I use it. I'll have a good look at the Pro 4 though, to see what it's packing, and how much it sh_ts on the iPad Pro. I said I won't get one, but if an opportunity came along I'd probably take it if the cost to upgrade was small or negligible if I sell the S3 and some other 'toys' to raise the funding.
Small interest in Band. Haven't worn a watch etc in nearly 10 years, so will see what it can do and how it looks. I might give it a go if I find it interesting.

I just bought the Surface 3 in May as well. I'm in a similar situation... I have an old Lumina 1520 that I've tried Windows 10 Mobile on and actually like it a lot (wasn't a fan of 8.1). I'm only concerned with some of the apps that are either outdated or aren't on the platform at all... Hopefully that does improve.

I do plan to buy a Surface Pro 4 regardless though. I'm hoping to like the 14" model for more serious computing. Then I would continue to use my Surface 3 as more of my go to mobile device... use it in bed or on the couch as a tablet all the time. I suspect I would use the 14" SP4 as more of a traditional laptop, and continue to use the Surface 3 more like I used my tablets before it. It's my daily driver now though... It truly has replaced both my laptop and other tablets. I use my laptop now for very few scenarios.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't put much stock into what random Microsoft employees say, unless they actually work in the division related to what they're telling you (in which case they must not value their job).

My experience is that they are just blowing smoke or repeating what another employee told - who was equally clueless. In May I had one employee tell me that they were releasing the SP4 in July and a flagship in August. I knew he was full of it, but I played along.

You never know, true, but he was right about October. He told me about this October release months ago. I see him quite often, so I don't have any reason to believe he's blowing smoke.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Excited about October 6th? I wouldn't say excited at all. Merely looking forward to it.

Why the lack of enthusiasm? The past history of Microsoft's announcement followed by weeks and even months before product availability.

Phones: I really want a new phone, but my enthusiasm is quenched by my carrier's lack of support. Near as I can tell, T-Mobile has unofficially ceased any and all support for Windows phones. Sure, I could buy carrier-unbranded, but frequency-matching with 100% certainty tends to require needless effort. I should be able to walk into a Microsoft Store, say "that one," buy it, happily skip out the door. Incidentally, I hope October marks the end of too many Lumia models. One budget, one middle, one flagship. And, perhaps more importantly, each one should have all radios for all carriers, so we customers don't have to deal with that asinine issue. Yes, it will cost a little extra, but Microsoft should make up for it with the higher volume discount on far few submodels (only one vs. half dozen or more).

Band 2: Of all the coming products, I am most excited about this. I'm on my 3rd first-gen Band, with batteries held in place with electrical tape, since sunscreen dissolves Band 1's rubber coating. (No Microsoft Support dude, that does not qualify as a "cosmetic issue" in my book.)

Surface 4: Looking forward to what's new, but I am unsure whether I will be replacing my first-gen Surface Pro with a new model yet. I do intend to eventually replace it with another pro-model Surface at some point.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait to see the Surface Pro 4. I'm very interested in picking one up if there is a 14" model, assuming the price is right.

I was also excited about the Lumia 950XL, but Microsoft phones always have bad timing for me and I couldn't wait the extra amount of time and went with a Note 5 instead.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I really hope the 12" SP4 doesn't come with Core M inside because it's nowhere near as powerful as the i-series processors. It'll struggle to run SketchUp, Archicad or Premiere. Not exactly a "Pro" device without the ability to run "pro"-grade software xD

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I do not feel excited because:

1. I've been waiting too long to see the latest Lumia smartphone, so I feel tired of waiting.

2. Lumia 950 and 950 XL is among the ugliest phone designs ever seen. (Although it's not final design).

3. Lumia 950 will be launched this year, but it will arrive on the market in my country in 2016. So the hardware and software specifications may be considered outdated (in 2016 Snapdragon 820 already in use).

So I will wait for the other high end Lumia in the future, perhaps at the end of 2016.

Ugliest phone designs? They look like every other "candy bar" phone, that's been made in the last ten years. What type of phone are you using? Slider? Clam shell? I don't understand your statement.:eck:

Entiol

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing forward to the release of Windows phone 10
I am not really excited for the new flagship. They have prehistoric spec 😒

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs