I was excited about October 6th howzabout you?

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am excited about Flipkart's big bang annual sale on 6 th October, hoping to grab some things at great discounts.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I think he wants a newer SoC... Errybody wants the newest :/
Snapdragon 810 on the 950XL is good enough, but not the 808 on the 950. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno
Adreno 430 on 810 has 324~388 gflops, but Adreno 418 on 808 only has ~172.8 gflops which is slightly better than 2 year old Snapdragon 800.

Some people really think that high GPU on phone isn't necessary, but it really is if you want to playing game or using Continuum and playing game on that phone at the same time. Smartphone right now don't have any app that can do the heavy work beside those 3D games. And 3d game don't need muti core, it need better GPU!

iPhone 6s right now has the best smartphone GPU on the market. It even better than Intel HD 4000 GPU on a lot of windows laptops. Apple did not lie about their newest iphone and ipad are better than most laptop nowaday. (at least on the GPU side)

Why wash the same amount of money on a phone that has the underpower chipset (lumia 950) instead of the phone that has the best GPU (iPhone 6s / Galaxy S6 / Z4) on the market?

I just hope that there with be the Lumia 850 with Snapdragon 808 and a reasonable price. Pureview on my 830 is good enough for me right now though.

Edit: and the 14" Surface Pro also!

Last edited:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am! especially now that I got an invite in my email to go! I was shocked that I got an invite because I thought only press/media was going to that event. But the email was from Gabe Aul and said we are inviting a very small number of insiders who have been the most active.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am! especially now that I got an invite in my email to go! I was shocked that I got an invite because I thought only press/media was going to that event. But the email was from Gabe Aul and said we are inviting a very small number of insiders who have been the most active.

Wow congrats mate :) give us an inside scoop of your day, will ya? :D

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Snapdragon 810 on the 950XL is good enough, but not the 808 on the 950. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno
Adreno 430 on 810 has 324~388 gflops, but Adreno 418 on 808 only has ~172.8 gflops which is slightly better than 2 year old Snapdragon 800.

Some people really think that high GPU on phone isn't necessary, but it really is if you want to playing game or using Continuum and playing game on that phone at the same time. Smartphone right now don't have any app that can do the heavy work beside those 3D games. And 3d game don't need muti core, it need better GPU!

iPhone 6s right now has the best smartphone GPU on the market. It even better than Intel HD 4000 GPU on a lot of windows laptops. Apple did not lie about their newest iphone and ipad are better than most laptop nowaday. (at least on the GPU side)

Why wash the same amount of money on a phone that has the underpower chipset (lumia 950) instead of the phone that has the best GPU (iPhone 6s / Galaxy S6 / Z4) on the market?

I just hope that there with be the Lumia 850 with Snapdragon 808 and a reasonable price. Pureview on my 830 is good enough for me right now though.

Edit: and the 14" Surface Pro also!
Hd 4000 is old. The new intel iris skylake chips have gpus with 72 execution units and better management. They are capable of performing as well as some NVidia gpu. Likely what surface pro will have including the intel phone. And iris had been around for a while. Just iris pro on the skylake is enhanced. You're comparing against old generation.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I hope he's right too! When he was telling me that the S4 is going to be "much much more than anyone is expecting" I was thinking "what could it have?" I was like "ah, ok, so it's going to have a 4K screen, 1TB of storage, 16GB of RAM, The latest Intel Skylake Processor and Windows Hello right?" He just shook his head in a "no" gesture and said "again,,I can't say (laughing), but it's going to be waaaay more than anyone is expecting!" o_O

With the Intel phones, keep in mind, Microsoft has been known to push things back. They've delayed things in the past, and even cancelled things at the last minute. With that said, this wasn't the first time this guy has told me about the Intel phones coming in January-February, and I have a pretty good feeling he knows a little something. Let's just keep our fingers crossed, but not count our chickens before they hatch.

If that were true they would probably mention the phones during this event since jan/Feb is not so far out. I doubt this will happen. They said 6 phones a year. So 3 every 6 months likely.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some people really think that high GPU on phone isn't necessary, but it really is if you want to playing game or using Continuum and playing game on that phone at the same time

You said it yourself... "playing games", basically you could be very 'Pro'ductive with no need for "playing Games"...

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hd 4000 is old. The new intel iris skylake chips have gpus with 72 execution units and better management. They are capable of performing as well as some NVidia gpu. Likely what surface pro will have including the intel phone. And iris had been around for a while. Just iris pro on the skylake is enhanced. You're comparing against old generation.
You missed the point that how fast smartphone cpu can catch up the laptop cpu right now.
And you will surprise that how many laptop on the market still using that old 3rd gen Intel Core i, at least in the 3rd world country.

The same reason people bought the 930/1520 :p
Lumia 930 and 1520 are really good at that time! the 20MP pureview camera was really blow people away also. But it 2 years ago though.

You said it yourself... "playing games", basically you could be very 'Pro'ductive with no need for "playing Games"...
No thanks, I rather 'pro'ductive on my Surface Pro 2 than my phone.
And the best sell point for Android and iOS is the game in their appstore, so...

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow congrats mate :) give us an inside scoop of your day, will ya? :D

Absolutely, I will. I will be taking lots of pictures and such. It would be cool if I could meet up with some people from here because the invitation is only for ONE person so I have to go to NYC alone all day which kinda sucks. I wonder who else, if anyone, got an invite on here.

There is two events that I was invited to. The "Morning Briefing" which starts at 10am, doors open at 9am per email and does not state the end time. And the "Evening Celebration" which starts at 8 and goes to midnight. I'm going to both.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You missed the point that how fast smartphone cpu can catch up the laptop cpu right now.
And you will surprise that how many laptop on the market still using that old 3rd gen Intel Core i, at least in the 3rd world country.

Lumia 930 and 1520 are really good at that time! the 20MP pureview camera was really blow people away also. But it 2 years ago though.

No thanks, I rather 'pro'ductive on my Surface Pro 2 than my phone.
And the best sell point for Android and iOS is the game in their appstore, so...

even an old generation laptop can run games better than ipad pro. Get steam and see for yourself. Most laptops come with NVidia gpu as will. Even older ones.

Anyways the soc is the 810v2.1 which actually has performance increases over the older snapdragon 810 chips. Even the nexus is coming out using 810. Not sure if it's v2.1 though.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, I will. I will be taking lots of pictures and such. It would be cool if I could meet up with some people from here because the invitation is only for ONE person so I have to go to NYC alone all day which kinda sucks. I wonder who else, if anyone, got an invite on here.

There is two events that I was invited to. The "Morning Briefing" which starts at 10am, doors open at 9am per email and does not state the end time. And the "Evening Celebration" which starts at 8 and goes to midnight. I'm going to both.

Meet up with the wpcentral staff, I'm sure they are going.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Of course!!! I'm really looking forward for Surface Pro 4! Though expectedly that it will look same, but updated specs and new features like RealSense Camera would be really great!

Though I'm not so fond about the looks of upcoming flagship, still a great news since its been a while we don't have Lumia flagship (But we do have a flagship from HTC). Hopefully something new about Continuum for Phones.

I'm also very curious about the Band 2. Lastly, Windows 10 TH2 and other related info about Windows would be great to know if there is any major information.

Chingalingz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Can't say I'm excited, MS is so far behind the curve. Cortana still isn't available in New Zealand, MS phones don't even register on the map, the only thing that may intrigue me is Surface 4. In mobile Google and Apple have finger print readers, new Nexus devices have USB type c, Google and Apple are heading into the car with Auto and Carplay. I think MS really needs to give up on mobile, I had a optimus 7, lumia 920 and 1020 but this year I was fed up with waiting for 'the next big os release' and got an S6. To say Apple and Google are leap years ahead of MS in mobile is an understatement. Google Now kicks *** and helps me in so many ways so why should I wait for Win Mob 10 and Cortana in NZ? But... roll on that Surface pro 4 :-D

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
even an old generation laptop can run games better than ipad pro. Get steam and see for yourself. Most laptops come with NVidia gpu as will. Even older ones.

Anyways the soc is the 810v2.1 which actually has performance increases over the older snapdragon 810 chips. Even the nexus is coming out using 810. Not sure if it's v2.1 though.
No it isn't, most laptop had been sold are the one with Intel HD Graphic. Steam is the game store, are you really think that people buy laptop just to play Steam game?!

And joke on you, I was talking about the Lumia 950, not 950XL, the one with Snapdragon 808 that slightly better than 2 year old 800, not the high end 810.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After this big event on the 6th of October how many weeks will I have to wait to have one of these "super-phones" in my hand?
Will these things be for sale in an acceptable time frame or will it be January before anyone sees one for real?

Microsoft hasn't seemed to care much about their loyal fan base as far as releases.
I'm just thinking back when the 640's were announced.

Hopefully they won't botch things this time and take better care of us with a firm definitive release schedule.

guy letourneau

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
As a original 920 user I'm not all that excited. My trusty 920 gave up a few months ago so I bought an Lumia 640 to get me by until the release. Gotta say for $80 I'm pretty satisfied with the 640.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs