Windows 10 Mobile Software Expectation on the 6th

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, do you expect anything new that will be shown on the software side? For me:
- Working Continuum.
- If I would be optimistic, landscape start screen. Just because Gabe asked about in one of his tweets.

What do you expect? Please be realistic :)

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly anticipating a lineup of developers showcasing their apps on W10M that did not support the platform in the past. In that vein, I'm sure there have already been some high-profile companies with access to Astoria and Islandwood, and the 6th will be when they show what they're adding to our platform.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm honestly anticipating a lineup of developers showcasing their apps on W10M that did not support the platform in the past. In that vein, I'm sure there have already been some high-profile companies with access to Astoria and Islandwood, and the 6th will be when they show what they're adding to our platform.

I think Microsoft will do that. It's hard to understand the selling point of W10 Mobile if they just showcase the OS features and flagships without support from major developers.

People will be disappointed if they still have to wait for good apps. There need to be some great apps right at the beginning.

6 Oct will be a critical moment for the mobile OS. They need to convince the public that Windows 10 Mobile does have potential and hope.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that they will probably show is the Skype integration. I wonder if they have the desktop side working now. Again, being realistically optimistic here.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft will do that. It's hard to understand the selling point of W10 Mobile if they just showcase the OS features and flagships without support from major developers.

People will be disappointed if they still have to wait for good apps. There need to be some great apps right at the beginning.

6 Oct will be a critical moment for the mobile OS. They need to convince the public that Windows 10 Mobile does have potential and hope.

All previous versions of WP had lots of potential and hope. It didn't work out.

As for developers we didn't even get a Flipboard app that flips so the expectations are already low.

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I had used the Windows 10 preview on my laptop for 8 or 9 months, sometimes reverting back to Windows 7 because it was a little rough. Though I still enjoyed it for the most part. When the release day finally hit for the RTM, I was impressed with the amount of polish from the previous build. I suspect MS doesn't go from build to build with steady predictable progression, but instead uses the process to refine individual components of the OS. Making it at times seem that they aren't ready for primetime yet. I know I have seen this expressed in these forums. So, here I sit. Fingers crossed, breath held, hoping for a home run or even better, a grand slam.
I would like to see an Apple type fanfare launch with trumpets and banners and riots and stuff, but we are the select few to go against the grain. The type of person that knows what could be and waits. I believe in MS's vision of the connected environment. We are due for a little substance to base our beliefs on. We have been telling our friends to "wait and see, it's gonna be great !" But they have begun to snicker behind our backs.
So what are my expectations you ask? I have learned expectations almost always lead to disappointment, and invariably resentment. So I prefer to hope.
eg:
I hope MS gives me a free 950xl for being so loyal and patient.
I expect MS to give me a free 950xl....

See you on the 6th boys and girls!

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there will be any surprises on the software side. Basically, when they demoed Jan 21st event, most of the stuff was simulation then. Integrated Skype Experience, Microsoft Edge Extensions, Continuum, Inline replies through banners and notificationscenter on messaging app, Universal core apps like Photos, People, Outlook and Office mobile needed a lot of polish. Over months, with each insider release we have seen Microsoft slowly but steadily delivered on what was demoed at Jan 21st event. Now, that it has finally taken a real form, this event will be about showcasing what they already demoed on Jan 21st but actual working software on actual devices this time.
I think Microsoft should plan another Jan 21st style event for Redstone(Th 3) release in 2016 to give us a sneak peak of what they are planning for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos