Microsoft needs an "Xbox Stick"

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My thought process of this came about because my grandmother has been using my old Wii for Netflix and stuff, and said it has been giving issues. So I thought the best solution would be to get a Roku if it comes to that. Then I thought to myself that an Xbox Stick would be the perfect product. She's someone who owns a Windows phone, and a PC running Windows 10.

Imagine an HDMI stick similar to the Prime stick or the Roku stick. It would have the Xbox interface (Windows 10). It would have access to the Windows Store, and would be for things like Netflix, Hulu, your CBS/FOX/NBC TV apps (and all other apps). And of course, you would have your Groove music and all of the TV shows and movies from the Windows Store. This would NOT be for gaming.

Obviously Windows 10 Mobile/WP isn't a huge market, but Windows itself is. Having access to shows and movies that you've purchased on your PC or phone in your living room would be great.

This product would be aimed at people who are in the Windows ecosystem already (a lot of people with PCs), but who don't want to have an actual gaming console. So this would be competing with Roku and Amazon, and in theory, it should have the edge because of an already established Windows ecosystem.

The only thing that I think would be up for dispute would be whether or not to give it the Xbox branding as that could be confusing since it wouldn't be for gaming, but I think that it could be done with the correct marketing.

Let me know what you all think!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily, as they have the option to run it as a PC or just use store apps. Personally a stick running RT would've been better but yeah, suggested those as they are products you can buy.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily, as they have the option to run it as a PC or just use store apps. Personally a stick running RT would've been better but yeah, suggested those as they are products you can buy.

I definitely got that, and an Xbox 360 would be a fine replacement, but there's no real need to buy a whole game console for her use. And I looked into the ComputeStick, and all the reviews are fairly negative, and it's also pricey for what it's use would be.

I know those would be products that could get the job done, but they're also not something that Microsoft would want to try to sell to compete with the Prime stick and Roku. I think they need their own solution.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can pick up a 360 for $50 to $80... lol.

In regards to competing with Amazon or Roku, that's really not going to happen as Microsoft wants to focus on their core. Hence why XES got shuttered, I get it why Satya is going down that route.

However with Apple's push into the living room being as real, Satya's strategy is about to make similar mistake as Ballmer did with mobility. Not intentionally but it's an unfortunate by-product of not focusing on hardware.

They are software company through and through thus aren't really "competing" in the hardware space as they are platform agonistic. As hardware is just purely to showcase the software. For companies like Apple, Amazon etc the living room space is just a natural path of progression.

They (MS) could've taken WMC and evolved it into small, nifty smart TV o/s but they didn't (just look at raspmbc Raspbmc has evolved).

Never the less it's not to late as they could take Windows IOT and add the old xbox UX to it as a front end. Thus keeping the xbox one solely gaming focused and the smaller device for everything else.
I do see them doing this?
Nope, they are most likely going to incorporate media centric function slowly into the X1 as can be seen by the TV adaptors and DVR functionality coming soon for free OTA broadcasts.