10-28-2015 09:20 AM
184 12345 ...
tools
    Lol what do you want... Panoy straight up said, "I'm not going to sit here and bore you with stuff you've already leaked".
    10-06-2015 07:28 PM
    The wireless Continuum experience is likely not supported quite yet.
    An assumption.

What could you do with an external HDD? Did you not see the part of the demo where he pulled images off a thumb drive that was plugged into the dock? I'd assume HDD functionality would be similar.
    An assumption.

Why does the wireless charging matter so much?
    You must be new here.

They had a time limit and had to choose what to do.
    So they chose to do cheesy cheer leading instead of introducing and explaining features? Nice use of time.

This is not an ad and most of the stuff you wanted to hear was already known.
    Which is why you started your post with a bunch of assumptions instead of facts?

Considering that this was not an event that was just about phones, I think they did a good job showcasing the 950 and 950XL.
    The majority of Apple's revenue comes from phones. My advice is if you want to play in that market... you may want to get a little more serious about what you are doing.
    mprebich and etad putta like this.
    10-06-2015 07:31 PM
    Yeah but the pundits assume they 'rushed it' because they don't care. Never cease to amaze me, Engadget, with your slurry. I loved the phone presentation and also love that sexy 550.

The Surface Pro and Surface Book... First time in years I've been hugely excited about new laptops. Looks like the Surface Book is my go-to for next Laptop whenever its price drops significantly.
    a5cent and libra89 like this.
    10-06-2015 07:44 PM
    They didn't show off the hardware on the phone properly.
    They didn't talk about in details about the camera or even demo it.
    They didn't talk about the battery
    They didn't talk about the memory
    They didn't talk about FFC
    They didn't talk about or Demo Iris scanner
    They didn't demo or talk about Wireless Charging.

Sure.. We all know it's there. We know the specs, ya. But what about people who don't?

What about users who do not follow leaks?? They would not have all the information. They might look and think... "HA. My s6 has wireless charging and the new lumia does not"

I believe they could have spent a little more time and detail in showing off the new phones.

Again. I expected more, Microsoft.
    Shobin Drogan and txkimmers like this.
    10-06-2015 07:45 PM
    They didn't show off the hardware on the phone properly.
    They didn't talk about in details about the camera or even demo it.
    They didn't talk about the battery
    They didn't talk about the memory
    They didn't talk about FFC
    They didn't talk about or Demo Iris scanner
    They didn't demo or talk about Wireless Charging.

Sure.. We all know it's there. We know the specs, ya. But what about people who don't?

What about users who do not follow leaks?? They would not have all the information. They might look and think... "HA. My s6 has wireless charging and the new lumia does not"

I believe they could have spent a little more time and detail in showing off the new phones.

Again. I expected more, Microsoft.
    It was already almost 2 hours long.... Anything longer than that makes people upset, and you definitely do not want the press upset with you.

They showed off the coolest features of the devices they had (Hololens, Lumia 950s with Continuum, Windows Hello with the 950, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book) given the amount of time they had.

What would you have cut out otherwise to give the phones more time? There really wasn't a whole lot.
    10-06-2015 07:52 PM
    Leaks are hard to balance. They build buzz, but if there are no surprises, why watch an event?

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere
    10-06-2015 07:54 PM
    It was already almost 2 hours long.... Anything longer than that makes people upset, and you definitely do not want the press upset with you.

They showed off the coolest features of the devices they had (Hololens, Lumia 950s with Continuum, Windows Hello with the 950, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book) given the amount of time they had.

What would you have cut out otherwise to give the phones more time? There really wasn't a whole lot.
    Maybe the surfaces should have had their own event then. They didn't really demo anything except continuum. Come on, they really needed to show more. I know all the leaks and I still have lots of questions.
    10-06-2015 08:06 PM
    And I'm sure in a week or two when Dan has review units you'll get your answers.
    aximtreo and thso like this.
    10-06-2015 08:11 PM
    Windows Hello was demoed on the phone onstage. It was said to be a beta in the presentation, hence it not being available to the press audience. It logged in very quickly and got a round of applause due to its speed.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=5lIcyGP_

Go to the video 41:00 mark

They also applauded for 4K video and USB-C

Fast a few years ago maybe, but it's extremely slow compared to the GS6 or iPhone 6 or 6S. He stopped talking and it took a sec for it to unlock.

Im holding judgement but I'm betting Microsoft will be changing this to fingerprint or something else next year.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-06-2015 08:23 PM
    I won't argue about the phone part of the demo being lackluster (purely subjective). My thoughts, I enjoyed the entire presentation as a whole..and wow someone give Panos the default product presenter position for Microsoft. He did an absolute fantastic job!! I enjoyed his presentation way better than Joe B's all presentations.

And on the comment about why a particular feature was not shown/demoed? You guys do realize that the software itself is not ready, what would Panos would have demo'd on a pre-release OS? His entire momentum and flow would have taken a hit. Personally a great event is what matters and I am glad it turned out be exactly like that.
    libra89, a5cent, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    10-06-2015 08:33 PM
    One thing that wasn't mentioned in the launch: Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL will be exclusive to AT&T in the US - GSMArena.com news
    10-06-2015 08:53 PM
    So basically they displayed working phones and Continuum which was really cool. However they glossed over repeating mostly stuff we already knew about but no camera samples? No details about how much better the software is? It's because it wasn't really ready to begin with it seems. And we ended up waiting for the event to end up having to wait for some other event to show us more about the phones and what they can do. Everything else was so well done and answered the questions when we can get it. Still an awesome event and the phones do look nice after all. Sadly as a T-Mobile customer, this doesn't change a thing for me. I'll still have to go out of my way to actually save up IF I want to get one of these. I'm not saying Microsoft could've done something different as far as carriers go but it would've been nice to officially get at least one of the phones supported through my carrier.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RaRa85; 10-07-2015 at 09:00 AM.
    10-06-2015 09:23 PM
    ^ Likely because it's wrong. Most sites have corrected it since.

Both devices will be available unlocked. Neither is an exclusive. ATT will also have the 950 in stores.

http://m.windowscentral.com/hands-on-lumia-950
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-07-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: formatting only
    10-06-2015 09:27 PM
    Yeah but the pundits assume they 'rushed it' because they don't care. Never cease to amaze me, Engadget, with your slurry. I loved the phone presentation and also love that sexy 550.

The Surface Pro and Surface Book... First time in years I've been hugely excited about new laptops. Looks like the Surface Book is my go-to for next Laptop whenever its price drops significantly.
    This!

I watched the event hoping to hear about the 550, mainly specs, pricing, etc. Then I found myself blown away by the Surface Book. I just got my laptop this year, and I have entertained the idea of selling it to possibly have my hands on a Surface Book! I was very impressed, and I'm so excited for that 550, along with the Surface Book of course.

And then Microsoft selling all three phones unlocked directly...just added the cherry on top.
    ArtificiallyYours likes this.
    10-06-2015 11:24 PM
    There could be more information so just wait...
    Yup! Just wait and see.:)
    10-07-2015 03:58 AM
    Actually Panos said that he had to breeze through it because of all the leaks!
    Oh lol, I had intermittent garbled audio at random points and he probably mentioned it when the audio decided to wreak havoc on me lol.
    10-07-2015 04:32 AM
    I expected Panay to demo the Windows Hello on the new Lumias. Just to give an indication about how quickly it unlocks the phone. Now, there is no way of knowing that because the hands-on devices kept there for the press won't have Windows Hello enabled.
    They did have them enabled just not set up for each individual journalist.... have a look at the hands on video of the 950 and 950 XL. Brian Roper did a quick demo and that was it.
    10-07-2015 04:36 AM
    Panay is in charge of the phone division, this event was to shine the spotlight on the Surface Book, and rightly so. Its a great product of which I will but several for my staff. The OS for WP is not ready, Continuum is an unknown as quite frankly I cant see anyone taking a dock as well as a phone with them, you may as well take a SP4 and your phone and get a better experience. Windows 10 is still new, Edge hasnt even got 3rd party extentions yet and in time, towards the end of the year all these things including MANY official apps will come to the store. in my opinion Panay will 100% release a Surface branded phone next year (how can he not) and releasing something like the 950 and 950xl now is actually good for the long term, it gives them something to really make is go 'wow' when the Surface phone comes.
    rhapdog likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:48 AM
    The phone segment was awesome in my opinion. It made me really really want one of these devices. I don't really need a demonstration of the camera, I have enough faith in the engineering team to truly nail it. If that's what they say they've done, I believe it.

Why the heck do I need my desktop computer anymore - I may as well throw it out and keep the monitor/keyboard/mouse.

The future is awesome. Suck it up.
    libra89, RaRa85, aximtreo and 3 others like this.
    10-07-2015 04:58 AM
    I agree, im going to have a dock on my desk to connect everything and be productive and in 5 years mobiles will be powerful enough to do everything the Surface Pro can do today, up until that point i will use the Surface Book(s) as I want to run 3 external displays. In the real world Continuum on a mobile device doesnt make sense. Not yet.
    10-07-2015 05:28 AM
    Microsoft Windows 10 devices event

Go to the video 41:00 mark

They also applauded for 4K video and USB-C

Fast a few years ago maybe, but it's extremely slow compared to the GS6 or iPhone 6 or 6S. He stopped talking and it took a sec for it to unlock.

Im holding judgement but I'm betting Microsoft will be changing this to fingerprint or something else next year.
    Again, he stated openly it was beta. It's a guess on my part, but I think they have only recently begun Windows Hello work on Mobile due to trying to get other stuff nailed down first. It's a cool feature, but any more complex unlocking schemes are not as important as overall functionality.

I've also seen the S6 take a couple seconds to unlock via the finger print reader. I have friends with them and they've complained that it doesn't always work quite right. I've heard of no such issues on the iPhone, but let's not pretend that other devices flawlessly execute this stuff.
    Thallanor and editguy like this.
    10-07-2015 07:01 AM
    An assumption.

An assumption.

You must be new here.

Which is why you started your post with a bunch of assumptions instead of facts?
    And you assume the opposite, so where are we? You assume that things are ready and you assume that what you find important is important to everyone else. You assume that everyone wants to hear MS say it has wireless charging even when that info has already been plastered all over the place.

As someone else stated, Panos Panay stated plainly that he wasn't going to go over everything since so many details leaked.

So they chose to do cheesy cheer leading instead of introducing and explaining features? Nice use of time.
    And remember that even though they streamed, this was a MEDIA event. They had reps to answer questioned for the media after as they looked at devices. There are plenty of write ups all over the internet on it. If you wanted a detail you should've sent a tweet to Daniel and seen of he could get info on it.

You don't even both to post facts, just complaints. You want to just find a reason to complain.

The majority of Apple's revenue comes from phones. My advice is if you want to play in that market... you may want to get a little more serious about what you are doing.
    And a majority of Microsoft's revenue DOES NOT come from phones. Microsoft is in a better position than Apple in one way: diverse revenue streams. Apple has become the iPhone company as the iPad sales have diminished and Mac sales modestly increase, but still are no where near PC sales. The iPhone IS Apple. If it has a rough quarter, Apple has a rough quarter. It has worked brilliantly for them, but if they can't crack what comes next and sales diminish, Apple diminishes too.

Microsoft wants to encourage others to make devices. They are only filling the gap right now. And Surface is a MUCH BIGGER business for them. Xbox is a much bigger business for them. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that MS Band is a bigger business.

I said it earlier, I'll say it again. Mobile is a long term play as the ecosystem matures. The 950s are not game changers. The growth of Windows 10 is the game changer because it will bring Universal App growth WITH IT. If the Universal App ecosystems matures, Mobile will always be there as an option, but it will be a much stronger option in a year or more down the road for mass audience adoption.

Most of the people that wanted to hear about the Lumias already knew everything about them. The leaks have been all over. Why retread that stuff?
    editguy and thso like this.
    10-07-2015 07:25 AM
    10-07-2015 08:31 AM
    Oh lol, I had intermittent garbled audio at random points and he probably mentioned it when the audio decided to wreak havoc on me lol.
    I watched it last night and the part where he mentioned that bit wasn't garbled out.
    10-07-2015 08:55 AM
    As someone mentioned earlier on this thread. My expectations didn't align with reality, and I understand that. I understand the Surface is a $4 billion business and Windows Mobile is just a dopleganger to MS. But for me and my situation in life I am more of a phone enthusiast than a computer enthusiast. I rarely touch a computer outside of work. When I do it's to pull the laptop out from under the couch.do something for 10 minutes and back under the couch it goes. So Continuum is of no interest to me. Therefore I would have liked to know about different features. I'm fringe and I know it. I also know that since I'm not part of the $4 billion Surface demographics MS isn't speaking to me. But this thread was soliciting opinions so this is mine.

I also understand WM10 is not complete but what's been my biggest beef lately is that MS hasn't really talked about any feature in the relative past except for Continuum and universal apps. Everything they talked about at first feels like they haven't been mentioned since. Even in the spirit of competition Google and Apple still reveal what a lot more feature sets in their upcoming OS' than MS does.

I can already hear people say "If you don't like it so much then go get an iPhone" but believe it or not I love Windows Phone and maybe that's why I'm disappointed/frustrated right now. Man, if you think I'm being hard on MS it kinda makes you feel bad for my wife and kids :)
    10-07-2015 09:37 AM
184 12345 ...