10-28-2015 09:20 AM
184 ... 678
tools
    Glad Daniel confirmed my feelings. I was really struck by how underwhelming the phone presentation was.

I am guessing you don't realise that kids in third world countries don't use any type of PC to do homework. It's still all pen and paper.
    List for me the third world countries you've actually lived in and gone to school in. Don't tell me you are one of those egotistical western first world snobs that thinks everybody who lives in third world countries lives in caves.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-09-2015 07:50 PM
    Glad Daniel confirmed my feelings. I was really struck by how underwhelming the phone presentation was.

List for me the third world countries you've actually lived in and gone to school in. Don't tell me you are one of those egotistical western first world snobs that thinks everybody who lives in third world countries lives in caves.

thank you. i have relatives in third world countries, and while there are a lot of poor people who have little access to computers, there are a LOT of kids using computers out there poor and rich.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-10-2015 03:15 AM
    Yeah, it was the "MacBook wannabe" that made me say it. It just sounded like someone defending their turf. Sorry if I offended. You do realize that laptops are also called, "Notebook" computers, and the notebook class is the smaller-than-a-regular-laptop class of laptop. This is why Apple named theirs with the book. Instead of "Notebook" they changed it to "Macbook." Surface just did the same thing. Not even something Apple invented in that name.

You are spot on as to why the new "cooling system" is being used. However, you do realize there is a big difference in the cooling capabilities between heat pipes and liquid cooling, right? Most standard heat pipes move air to do the cooling. Liquid cooling, though it still uses pipes, is never technically referred to as heat pipes. Those heat pipes in the xperia are not the same, and though they certainly help a lot with cooling, they do not come close to the cooling capabilities of liquid cooling. I've run heat pipe systems, I've run liquid cooled systems. The liquid cooled systems I've run have run the gamut from water to liquid nitrogen. I've clocked CPUs over 7GHz using extreme methods. I know what it takes. I've been able to clock CPUs using a good quality ethylene glycol cooling system to 5GHz and beyond. Ethylene glycol is the most common liquid cooling used in pre-manufactured, closed-loop sealed systems, because while it cools as well or better than water, it doesn't have as severe of damaging effects of water should it get loose.

Personally, I am one of those excited about the liquid cooling aspect. I think people will need to take better care, though, and not be dropping their phones every day, as it will likely damage more easily.

They didn't go with the Atom chips because they don't provide the proper performance, and they also can't run continuum. The new Skylake-Y processors will be available in early 2016, and this is what has been chosen for the rumored Surface Phone. Much more powerful while being even more energy efficient according to what I've heard about them. Microsoft needed to get out new flagships with the introduction of Windows 10 Mobile to show what it is capable of doing, and the Qualcomm processors were the best available at the time. In 2016, Intel will have the best available.

i get that they are not exactly the same, but i would be surprised if the design in the lumias wasn't a heatpipe based design vs "proper" liquid cooling. i guess we'll wait until the teardowns to see what they actually built.
    10-10-2015 03:17 AM

LOL, you're equating doing your homework on pen and paper rather than on a PC with living in caves? You seriously need to get some perspective.

And yes, I live in a third world country called Sri Lanka, look that up, since I am sure you would not have heard about it. And yes I did my homework on pen and paper and my children are doing the same.
    10-10-2015 03:18 AM
    LOL, you're equating doing your homework on pen and paper rather than on a PC with living in caves? You seriously need to get some perspective.

And yes, I live in a third world country called Sri Lanka, look that up, since I am sure you would not have heard about it. And yes I did my homework on pen and paper and my children are doing the same.
    News flash. Plenty of people in America grew up doing their homework with paper and pencil. Most of the leaders of our country grew up that way. I didn't get a computer of any kind till late in my education. There are people I personally know in third world countries who are getting computers younger than I did. Continuum is not something that will be in every home in third world countries but in places with an expanding middle class it will democratize computing power. And Continuum is not just for the 950 XL and above. There will be cheaper options. You don't need an i7 to utilize MS Word or surf the internet.

I think emerging markets are on MSFT's CEO's radar...

Microsoft CEO in Kenya for Windows 10 launch - Corporate News
    libra89 likes this.
    10-10-2015 09:06 AM
    Moving on... Almost a week later and having spent some time at imore, I think that my favorite part has evolved to the hololens. That thing is just cool. I'm not going to buy one, but that's like step .25 out of 100 on the way to the future of gaming/movies/awesome.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere
    10-10-2015 06:20 PM
    I'm glad they didn't call it Surfbook.
    Well, maybe if it were water-proof? Great for Surfers!

i get that they are not exactly the same, but i would be surprised if the design in the lumias wasn't a heatpipe based design vs "proper" liquid cooling. i guess we'll wait until the teardowns to see what they actually built.
    During the presentation on October 6, there was a slide on the wall stating "Liquid Cooling Technology" for the 950/950XL. Also, Mr. P himself can be heard stating the following.
    We push it by using tablet class liquid cooling literally coming from our Surface team into our phones, because what we wanted was to push these machines as hard as we possibly could, because we want to make them as productive as possible...
    10-10-2015 06:20 PM
    That's because Lumia is not Panos' baby. Just wait until Surface Phone is unveiled next April aka "Bringing the Thunder".
    10-10-2015 07:47 PM
    I loved it but wished they announced like Google apps and snap chat. Oh well.
    Same
    10-28-2015 09:20 AM
184 ... 678