Would I wait a "surface phone"?

loic_lahaye

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone :)

I'm a big big fan of the surfaces products oO So my question is really simple to understand but it will be hard to answer... So what do you think:

Would I buy the Lumia 950 xl because I'm really dreaming about a surface phone??
Or is the Juggernaut Alpha a solid rumor and I would wait ??

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Juggernaut Alpha is a solid rumor at all... The initial leaks were fake as the chip in question wouldn't even run the camera on the spec sheet. We know virtually nothing about the phone so it'd have to be pretty far off.

Is your current phone not doing it for you anymore? If so, upgrade. If not, hold off on the XL.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The Juggernaut Alpha is not a solid rumor at all. The Atom x3 rumored would not be used, because Microsoft has already stated that the new Intel phones next year will be using a new generation of Intel Processors that will be much more powerful than that.

The specs on that so called rumor are horrid compared to what I've heard. I'd expect a LOT more from the Surface department at Microsoft.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No. Because then another phone would be rumoured and you will want to be waiting on that.

#forever waiting.

Grab what is in front of you.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The Juggernaut Alpha is not a solid rumor at all. The Atom x3 rumored would not be used, because Microsoft has already stated that the new Intel phones next year will be using a new generation of Intel Processors that will be much more powerful than that.

The specs on that so called rumor are horrid compared to what I've heard. I'd expect a LOT more from the Surface department at Microsoft.

I'm leaning towards Surface Phone running on Skylake Y-series. it's gonna be a BEAST of a device. The processor will allow Windows Hello(utilizing iris scanner) to unlock the device < 1s.

Surface Phone will be the next iPhone, I promise you.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Surface Phone will be the next iPhone, I promise you.
Technically, the iPhone pretty much introduced a new category. A type of Smartphone that Microsoft scoffed at and said nobody wanted.

I believe that is exactly what will happen with the Surface Phone. It will create a new category of PC in a Pocket. True PC is what I'm hoping, with full Windows 10 and Win32 program compatibility when docked. That would be the ideal. If Microsoft can pull that off, then yes, people will scoff and say Nobody will want it, or that it is like merging a refrigerator and a toaster, but just like the original Surface tablet, it will create a new category and become rather popular. It took iPhone a few years to really gain traction and become what it is today, and I believe it will take the Surface Phone a few years as well. But, it will get there. By creating a new market segment and leading in a new category of what a smart phone SHOULD be, it will upset the balance of power within the phone world.

I'm waiting for that phone, but I'm patient. I want to wait for version 2 of that Surface Phone and let them get a bit further advanced with the tech and work out any kinks in the system. Liquid cooled Surface Phone powered by Intel? Oh, yeah. Perhaps in 2 or 3 years we can get an NVidia 960 slapped in there with it. ;) Skyrim, Halo, etc. Haha!

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Let's just hope Microsoft has a phone division long enough to see y
This

Really. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't have the cash to wait this out and do this? They have already stated they are committed to making W10M work for phones. They have been in the phone business since October 2001 with their first Pocket PC phone version coming out back then.

It's been 14 years now, exactly. If, during all that time, Microsoft still hasn't gained the market share, but is still plugging away, do you really think they'll quit just before launching the most revolutionary device in computing history to date?

Microsoft isn't going anywhere.

loic_lahaye

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your answers :):)

TTsoldier is true... i'll finally wait for ever ^^ I'll take the 950xl and wait 3 or 4 years for the surface phone 2 :)

I'll have a really powerful device to replace my poor lumia 520 and when the technologies for a good surface phone will be ready i'll be too :p

Thanks again :p

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Really. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't have the cash to wait this out and do this? They have already stated they are committed to making W10M work for phones. They have been in the phone business since October 2001 with their first Pocket PC phone version coming out back then.

It's been 14 years now, exactly. If, during all that time, Microsoft still hasn't gained the market share, but is still plugging away, do you really think they'll quit just before launching the most revolutionary device in computing history to date?

Microsoft isn't going anywhere.

MS has $100 billion cash. They can easily play the smartphone game as long as it takes to get traction. Surface Phone 1, 2, 3 and BAM.

Bernard Mostert

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If I know that I can get a Surface phone by mid next year I would wait. But then for many, like myself, it isn't quite as simple as this. Surface tablets have been around for a number of years but are very seldom available in developing markets like South Africa. We are one of the few places on earth where Windows Phone still outsells the iPhone but if I want a Surface Pro 3 I need to do a private import (like my one buddy did do). So I guess the question is whether a Surface Phone would have a bigger distribution footprint than a Surface Tablet.

Rumor has is that we'll have the 950XL before Christmas...can't wait to upgrade my 1520 (and be rid of phantom taps).

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is planning another big event for January in 2015 on January 20. Remember this last year how Microsoft blew everyone's socks off by announcing totally new tech in HoloLens? According to a source, this time they will be announcing something revolutionary yet again that will be even bigger. Surface Phone. You say a phone can't be that revolutionary? Ha! We'll see.

Here's what I've been told by my source, Bartholomew Simmons (B.S.), who claims to work on the Surface Design Team for Microsoft.
DISCLAIMER: If you haven't figured out by the above sentence that B.S. is made up and that all that follows is B.S., well, be warned.
1. The new phone will be made from a gold titanium and Sapphire alloy that Microsoft has developed. It will be as strong as Titanium, unbendable, unbreakable. It will be smooth as glass and both look and feel sexy, with curves in all the right places.
2. It will have a no-side-bezels front, with bezels only large enough at the top for the 8MP 3D camera and other sensors, and large enough at the bottom to accommodate capacitive buttons.
3. The bottom half of the back will also be a display! Top half of the back will contain the 50MP PureView Camera with triple RGB LED Flash. The display on the back will assist in taking phenomenal selfies in full 50MP greatness. I'm not sure why you'd want to, but there you go.
4. Stereo speakers will be on the sides toward the bottom of the unit.
5. A new graphene mesh battery technology will power the unit, with it being able to run 270 hours talk time and 3 months on stand-by power. It will be able to go from 10% to 80% charge in under 10 minutes.
6. Next to the sensors on the front will be a "laser projector", and you will be able to stand the phone up vertically and project a laser image of a keyboard on the table in front of the phone, complete with a projected track pad. The 3D camera tech will be able to track your movements to track your typing/swiping, etc. No external keyboard will be necessary. The laser tech will be powered by the new battery tech.
7. Also powered by this new amazing battery tech is a new pico projector located next to the 50MP camera. It will be able to project an image in QHD on a wall, so you can have a 60" projected monitor against a wall or screen. No external monitor necessary. The projector does have some limitations in that it works best in lower light situations, as bright lights tend to over power it. This can be fixed by hooking up your phone to an external power supply for the extra juice needed to power the projector at full strength.
8. New breakthroughs in manufacturing tech and chip technology will allow an Octocore Intel Skylake SOC running at 2.4GHz alongside Microsoft's new holoprocessor. The HoloProcessor will add a lot to the table with extreme processing power, and the ability to project Cortana right onto your desktop! Now you will be able to say, "Hey, Cortana!", and see a holographic image of her in all her Halo glory respond directly to you.
9. Again, with these new breakthroughs in manufacturing tech, they will be able to produce these at a lower cost and pass the savings along to you!
10. The Surface Phone will come in two flavors. The Surface Phone and the Surface Phone Pro. The only difference between the 2 is the front screen size and the display resolution. The Surface Phone will be a 5.3" model while the Pro will be sporting the long awaited 6". By removing the side bezels, they are able to get this 6" display in the same size body of the former 5.7" Lumia 640 XL.

The Pro will also be a full QHD display. I wasn't able to get the specs on display resolution of the Surface Phone, just the Pro version.

The pro version will be set to sell in the US by May, 2016, for $1299, and they will include a Band 2 AND a HoloLens for that price.

I plan on buying 6 of them, so the entire family can enjoy the ecosystem.

I hope you enjoyed reading this made up drivel as much as I enjoyed writing it. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99