Why Microsoft doesn't get it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
After many struggling to gain market share from Android, Microsoft is now changing strategy, going cross platform and targeting enterprise. Basically following the path of blackberry.

Somehow we can see Microsoft has:
+ some nice things in Windows phone like universal apps, good camera, easy to use tiles.
+ good office suite.
+ good ecosystem except for apps.
- pretty much everything else is on par or inferior to blackberry 10.

Blackberry has:
+ great bb10. With best hub, best virtual keyboard, great UI, better OS.
+ good enterprise services
+ great IoT platform.
+ great security.
- no ecosystem
- inferior camera.
- inferior maps.

So rather than relying on Nokia, Microsoft should have bought blackberry. But now it's still a great opportunity to do so. There can combine their strength by:
+ ditch windows OS and adopt bb10 as the new windows phone in their ecosystem.
+ bring in universal apps on bb10
+ bring active tiles
+ bring here maps and good camera.
+ bring native office suite.
+ integrate blackberry enterprise services in MS ecosystem.

=> they will become the leader in enterprise and IoT.
=> they will then have leverage to increase market share in mobile.

It's not too late for Microsoft to be relevant at last.

As soon as there is a BlackBerry 10 dual SIM, I fully quit Android.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. I prefer Windows 10 to BB10. Isn't Blackberry ditching BB10 in favor of Android with the Priv? You might be waiting a while for that BB10 with dual SIM.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry is adding a new phone with full Android OS rather than using the android VM in bb10. Blackberry has been struggling as much as Microsoft in mobile. Seeing their complementary strength, it's a shame they still both disappear if they keep going separate ways.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Really? Base the universal system on BB10? How awful would that be on a desktop! Crazy idea. A bit like replacing OSX with iOS, ridiculous.

Windows devices are everywhere in Europe. I suspect this is a colloquial US position. No-one uses BB in the UK, WP has firmly kicked them out of the market. No sign of Windows 'struggling' here.

How well does BB10 work on their tablets (I've not seen one yet)? Bet they're pretty awful compared to the Windows tablets. Imagine BB10 on a laptop, ugggg.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what the answer is (or even if there is one), but Microsoft does not need another Nokia (BlackBerry), I hope they both make it. It's not like they don't have room in the market.

Here's a good question. If BlackBerry had the market share Microsoft had would they be considered successfull????

Last edited by a moderator:

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
At the moment Microsoft is just failing in the mobile space. Even in Europe. That's why many apps are only offered only on iOS and Android. Yes metro UI is better for desktop. But anyone could such type of UI on any OS. QNX works better on a multi device environment than Windows.

Also looking at what BlackBerry spent to get bb10.3 vs what windows spent to get to Windows 7,8.1, now Windows 10.... It's easy to see what has made the most effective progress. Has Microsoft bought blackberry rather than Nokia. They would have higher market share even without universal apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
At the moment Microsoft is just failing in the mobile space. Even in Europe. That's why many apps are only offered only on iOS and Android. Yes metro UI is better for desktop. But anyone could such type of UI on any OS. QNX works better on a multi device environment than Windows.

Uh... there are more apps in the IOS and Android space because MSFT came late to the party, not because of the UI. And MSFT seems to be doing just fine in europe?

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Bb10 came late to the party even if the OS was developed pretty fast. Windows attempted to enter into the mobile space for a long time, well back with Windows 6.x. the user experience played a big part along with ecosystem.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The main rise in Windows phone adoption is due to people becoming fed up with Android but they are not many. Had Microsoft kept meego, it would have add bigger market share.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft will fail if they concentrate on the enterprise and cross-platform. Remind me again how Microsoft got as big as they are in the first place?

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft will not fail in the enterprise but Windows phone will end up becoming irrelevant and will be stopped. It's a shame because it has good things in it

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
MS adopting BB10 is as dumb BlackBerry adopting W10.

Android is the future. How can any OS fight an 85% marketshare. I know more people leaving iOS for Android than people moving to iOS.

Betamax was better than VHS. Time to move on.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Android is not just bad. It's really bad. So 83% can be sunk quickly, just like Symbian.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't get it? Disagree, MS gets it very well. They are a software and solutions company, and always have been (it's Microsoft, not Microhard). Cross-platform is critical to all software and solutions players. Hardware should only be in a supportive role. That's why Ballmer messed up in buying a hardware company -- Nokia. Nadella is attempting to correct, but only time will tell if he can do so.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nah, MS doesn't get it. They're repeating their past mistakes with this AT&T only garbage and they've made WP/W10M even more irrelevant by throwing out a lot of what made it unique. Nadella is a good talker but it's the same old empty promises. Not buying it this time.

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I know that if I had money (with my 200? a month pay I can only dream about it) I'd buy an iPhone without a second of thinking.

But in my situation I can only hope that MSFT will succeed with W10M as it is currently the only alternative to Android for me...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Please, no. Shoot me in the face if this happens. The reason MS is in such a gargantuan hole is it never lets its OS gain traction before a reboot. If they abandoned a fourth platform, I'd just give up on them. This has been a nearly decade-long disaster as it is.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Back to the first post, I think that buying blackberry and adopting bb10 as the new os is dumb. It would wreck everything that wp stands for and destroy MS in the mobile market.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft can very well encourage others smartphone vendors to use WP10 while having a reference platform. Now let's flip the point the other way. If blackberry had invested the resources that Microsoft did for WP + had the financial viability of MS+ office suite + here maps + onedrive, and few other key enterprise products, it would have achieved a much higher market share with their bb10 phone. They would probably have 20%/30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss