10-27-2015 05:55 PM
44 12
tools
    As to the entire question regarding BB, that's completely invalid and not worth discussing. If MS had developed both the BB OS and the WP OS, then decided to drop one, that would be an interesting conversation. But asking why MS didn't adopt BB10 is like asking why Apple didn't adopt Android. WP was MS' creation, it's not perfect but it's their product.
    Also, MS needs desktop apps just as much as they need mobile apps. Their Windows OS is competing with Android and iOS devices for consumer attention, so they need an ecosystem that will draw consumers to that OS.
    As to universal apps on mobile/desktop, I'm just going to run down a list of apps I use, and I'll put a hyphen in front of one that would not be helpful to have on both phone and PC. Instagram, Facebook, Calendar, Mail, Messaging (SMS), Skype, Foursquare, - Maps (only really need that on phone), Browser, Snapchat, Games, Whatsapp, YouTube, Pinterest, Photoroom or other light photo editing, Pictures, Document Editor, Onenote, and Onedrive. I'm sure there are other apps I would or do use, but those are the ones I can think of off-hand. There was only one app which I would not use at all on desktop at this point, Maps. I would not use that now, because it's not as well integrated as maps in a browser, but if the app worked better than the website, then I would use it. I think the fact that all the most common apps could find some use on both mobile and desktop/laptop/tablet, along with the fact that there is no added cost for UWP, makes it a good decision to have the UWP model in place.
    920Walker and jmshub like this.
    10-22-2015 10:02 AM
    It has hurt my eyes to read this thread. The title of this topic can only be answered one way: it's never been done so we just don't know. We can discuss this 'til the cows come home to no avail, we have to wait and see what the market will bear.
    10-22-2015 11:24 AM
    We can discuss this 'til the cows come home to no avail, we have to wait and see what the market will bear.
    The is probably the most, if not the ONLY, accurate answer given in this thread.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-22-2015 12:10 PM
    The is probably the most, if not the ONLY, accurate answer given in this thread.

Apparently you didn't read my posts 😏
    10-22-2015 12:18 PM
    20 of the same question asked slightly differently from the Devil's advocate. Plenty of well thought, thorough, speculative answers. A crystal ball would be of little help.
    10-22-2015 12:27 PM
    Obviously Android wasn't for sale. The question of why MS didn't adopt bb10 is the same as considering other options like meego or others.

There are instances of dropping its own products for a better one. Example google video dropped for YouTube. Msn dropped for Skype.

But it has nothing to do with the topic of universal app.

The case for universal app is whether it is essential and whether it is going to be convincing enough.

I agree that only time will tell, and that we probably give more weight to different criteria. my point is that developers will also have this variations in how they balance these criteria. It will take into account the different use cases.

On the list provided earlier, there are infos missing.

1. Are the apps already fairly stable or update?
    2. Do they exist for all devices or some are missing?
    3. Is there already a common code base the developer is happy with (example java for PC vs Android)
    4. Exemple of YouTube is weird knowing most PC users are using a browser...

As soon as there is a BlackBerry 10 dual SIM, I fully quit Android.
    10-22-2015 12:59 PM
    Apparently you didn't read my posts
    I apologize for not giving you credit where due! I did read the whole thread, but not recently. I do no recall what all the previous posts were.

Let me rephrase it:

The (This) is probably the most, if not the ONLY, accurate answer given in this thread, along with a5cent's.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-22-2015 12:59 PM
    Lol

As soon as there is a BlackBerry 10 dual SIM, I fully quit Android.
    10-22-2015 01:38 PM
    So you wouldn't want to use your banking app on all of your devices? You wouldn't want to use a chatting app on all of your devices? You don't want Yelp on all of your devices? Why wouldn't you want to do basic video editing on a video you just took on your phone and then continue with the more heavy stuff on your PC? I want to have the option to use any app I want on any device I want. nothing wrong with options.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-23-2015 11:02 AM
    I can already do that
    10-23-2015 11:30 AM
    To be more accurate, it's already possible to manipulate video content on smartphones and sync to Cloud. Android and bb10 have been offering this out of the box several years ago already.Probably the same for WP.

Equally, my banking app work from the beginning on bb10 and in most countries where bb is popular they have banking native apps.

On PC the best place for banking is the browser. This is a web service that is better served that way. Nothing cached locally add much as possible.
    10-23-2015 11:40 AM
    I think having universal apps is MS's only shot, and it's a great platform if you've used Visual Studio 2015 (been playing with the free version). I think it's working based on the demand for Windows 10, but without some real wearables no one younger is going to want to use a WP. My Moto 360 is just too handy to give up.
    10-25-2015 12:19 AM
    WP is losing on closed proprietary stores. They have 2 options:

- reposition their engineers to write quality apps for the Windows store. They would have improved the situation faster than spending all this time making Windows converge between desktop and PC. Now they should themselves publish loads of UWP apps.

- make android and ios stores less attractive by creating developing open cross platform stores. This would make the OS choice less relevant to having loads of app and people can switch OS and keep their apps. Then WP and bb10 wins on UX against android and IOS.
    10-25-2015 07:15 AM
    Universal apps are when the developer has a different GUI for tablet/phone/IOT(think wearable), but shares the same business logic layer(assembly). This makes eminent sense for consumer-facing apps. However, there is as huge up-front cost to developing the first version of a universal app which is why we're not seeing them.
    10-25-2015 09:21 PM
    So it makes sense for Microsoft to eat their own food and start writing apps. That sort of commitment can bring users to WP which in turn may get more developers to see a potential return on this initial upfront cost.

Initially the main apps that attracted users to Android were the google apps in addition to price.
    10-26-2015 10:55 AM
    I think that Microsoft absolutely has the best strategy among themselves, Apple, and Google in terms of having one OS platform.

I know a lot of people say that apps are the problem with Windows phones but I disagree to a point. I think the real problem has been new hardware or a lack of it and its availability. When was the last Windows phone released before the 950 series? 2013? Even with the 950 it is only available on AT&T.

I think Microsoft found a winning formula with the SP3 which translated into some good buzz for the SP4 and Surface Book releases. That can happen with phones too if the hardware is there each year.

Microsoft really needs to get devices on other carriers. If they can do that AND get the stores to introduce customers to them I think they have a good opportunity at increasing market share and then the apps will come.
    10-26-2015 09:10 PM
    MS on mobile is on the verge of extinction and you think they have the best strategy? Good god.
    10-26-2015 11:32 PM
    MS on mobile is on the verge of extinction and you think they have the best strategy? Good god.
    I'm not aware of any impending demise regarding Microsoft's mobile division unless you count the so-called experts and their agendas. It's a moot point anyway since Apple's OS X is not touch-enabled and Google has no desktop OS. It's very apparent that Microsoft is about to re-invent the better mousetrap. It's also quite apparent that those who are crying and moaning the loudest are probably financially involved with Google or Apple. No shareholder ever wants to see the competition innovate or dominate. Facts of life young man.
    10-27-2015 11:48 AM
    Think 5 years down and the road and not 5 months. If you lay out the strategy for each company and not get caught up in market share and apps I think Microsoft's strategy makes the most sense over the next 5-10 years. That's what I base my opinion on...who appears to have the best strategy going forward...not what some tech report website says, not what the stock price is, not customer satisfaction of Apple products, not current market share, not current app availability. Having one platform is a better option over the next 5-10 years than having multiple platforms, imo.
    jmshub likes this.
    10-27-2015 05:55 PM
44 12