Where is the supposed "OEM" support for Windows 10 Mobile?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If I were someone on the outside looking in at the current state of Windows Mobile (Phone, whatever you want to call it) - I'd have to say it looks like the future is non-existent. I understand "blah blah Windows 10 is one OS now!" "yadda yadda yadda Universal apps will come to WIndows 10 and be on Phone!"

I get it! I get it. I've been on this train for a long time now. I wasted more hours of my life reading/digesting/analyzing Microsoft news than I would care to admit.

But at the moment the only thing I see is 2 Microsoft Lumias, and 1 Acer Jade Primo (and maybe a handful of beater phones that no one can name) coming for Windows 10 Mobile.

This looks quite... sad. For a couple reasons:

1. The new Lumias will only work on two carriers in the US, and is effectively only being sold by one - AT&T. (Verizon is out. We don't need to beat that horse to death anymore.)
  2. The Jade Primo is made by Acer - not exactly know for their stellar quality devices. On top of that, no one has given any sort of release timeline. It's still very much a mystery how much support this device will receive - although it looks great.

So, I mean, what are we really supposed to think now? Is the honest truth that no one ever expects Windows 10 Mobile (Phone) to ever make any kind of dent in the market .... EVER? Basically, they're just throwing a bone to the few loyal mobile users they have left?

Or...

Are they still on the Coming SoonTM train stringing things along until there's some kind of "Surface Phone" ready?

I mean, I thought I understood what the game-plan was when they said "Oh, we're narrowing our focus to just a few phones so we can really get them right". I took that as many others to mean we'd get fewer devices, less throwaways, but more premium quality with better support. Maybe even some more weight behind getting them out there in front of people showcasing the universal app model & continuum. As in, selling them on all networks and maybe actually getting some advertising support? In turn, there was going to be OEMs who said "Oh look, Microsoft backed off so we can get into this market more now".

I guess I understood the plan wrong. Seems like the plan all along was: "We have to throw these Microsoft fanboys a bone or we'll totally lose them".

I'm sad coming to that realization, but it feels like that's all that's left.... Am I wrong? :unhappysweat:

I'm of the mindset that Windows 10 on the desktop cannot carry the weight alone to ensure universal apps make it to phone. They were meant to be sold side by side. Not "I hope this one succeeds so maybe the phone has a chance"...

Maybe I'm just finally turning into the pessimist like so many others...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad coming to that realization, but it feels like that's all that's left.... Am I wrong? :unhappysweat:[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Yes. You're forgetting the enterprise space.

For consumers, yes, the success of the UWP on smartphones rests on W10's shoulders, not on W10M's. That's the deal as far as MS' own ecosystem is concerned. It's probably not a good idea to ignore the impact MS hopes Astoria and Islandwood will have though. Those two projects are the means by which MS hopes to make it easier for consumers to stick with the platform.

jeffoffline

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
So i have zero experience with windows phone, just purchased a Lumia 830 off ebay so I can test Windows Phone out but based on my research I kind of gather Microsoft is betting everything on Windows 10 apps. It appears to me that the current windows phone apps are not only behind their android and iphone counterparts but they're also in limbo till Windows 10 is released.

As far as carrier compatibility I'll admit i'm a bit appalled... it feels like 2005 with how they release phones that only support a few bands while pretty much every other phone is released with wide compatibility. I spent so much time going back and forth comparing the different Lumia models with what bands they supported it's ridiculous... and a waste. They should have cut back on all the different models and just released each model for all carriers. It would have required less development and would have been less confusing for the end user. Microsoft is completely dropping the ball by not releasing 950 models for Sprint and Verizon... yeah i get Verizon is the primadonna of networks but they should have at least included Sprint... and done their best to have T-mobile carry the phones in store since they are compatible. It feels like Microsoft is just completely incompetent and has no idea what to do with phones.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where is the supposed "OEM" support for Windows 10 Mobile?

^^^ finding a phone that works on a particular band (GSM) takes less than 10 mins. It's either a NAM/LATAM variant or the global variant. Band 4 LTE is the first frequency to look for, second is AWS (for T-Mobile). Secondly what's stopping one from buying the phone upfront using a credit card as opposed to buying on a contract and paying more to the carriers?

@OP: Actually this is the first time I have seen manufactures like Acer and Vaio (along with some from Xiomi) show interest in the platform. So OEMs are onboard, unfortunately the OS isn't ready yet.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Once again the main issues is the way the US mobile phone service providers operate. In the rest of the civilised world Windows phone is doing a lot better for market share. The US mobile phone system is stuck in the dark ages.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The longer Microsoft takes to deliver a working version of W10 (not just for the 950 etc), for all the phones already out there, the worst they look. Remember when they said all phones that can run 8.1 will get W10. I bet we never hear that again. But then there are a lot of things that were suppose to happen that simply have not panned out. I am beginning to wonder just how far this will go. And the CEO gets paid over 18 million. Just think if things were going well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The longer Microsoft takes to deliver a working version of W10 (not just for the 950 etc), for all the phones already out there, the worst they look. Remember when they said all phones that can run 8.1 will get W10. I bet we never hear that again. But then there are a lot of things that were suppose to happen that simply have not panned out. I am beginning to wonder just how far this will go. And the CEO gets paid over 18 million. Just think if things were going well.
We'll find out how well things are going in two days. Earnings report is Thursday, October 22nd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon