Idea - Give devs unfettered access to Windows 10 Mobile.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think what I was getting at with my original question was to treat Windows 10 Mobile, pretty much the same way Windows 10 is treated. (Beside the app store) Developers are capable of writing programs/applications that have a lot of access. UAC is there to keep them in line, but they can really push the envelope because they have that access. Windows 10 Mobile is quite locked down. For example, Facebook can't make a Messenger app where the chatheads popup on your homescreen - because they don't have access. They can do this on Android because they have more access.

My thinking is that perhaps unfettered open access in this regard would attract more developers who want to see what it is capable of. Of course, there would be pros/cons. Maybe more cons than pros - but just figured I'd throw it out there for all you fine folks to chew on :wink:

Hopefully that clarifies my question.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes the main reason I chose an Intel based Windows tablet over Android is because I can install and run any Windows software. It's really useful.

Now this is more difficult to use on a smartphone screen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On a previous post, I would also say:

Yes the choice of open source is why android leads the pack.

If Google didn't go open source and tried to do it all in house, they would probably arrive even later than Microsoft to the party.

They did all the work in house, they just release Android as open source for people to build upon after they finish it.
Even then Google is closing it off:
Google?s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica

They just threw it out into the wild for manufacturers to use freely etc.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Good post, Xandros. Android is a very odd case study in open source, it is widely hailed as a particularly successful story for the open source world, but as the article from Ars says, Google is tightening the grip, and Google's Android (the Android experience we most often talk about when we talk "Android") is a proprietary experience that is quite different from AOSP.

albert730

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
In every market a company has to offer choice to the customers. If Microsoft goes open just like android then why buy a windows device, go for android.
It is this strategy of keeping the OS closed that has given the customer there choice to either go for a stable and protected OS like windows or an open or unstable OS like android.
If u need a good android phone u need to but a nexus, rest all are just cheap having low quality hardware.
I love windows becuz it provides a smooth experience through all devices. They have good build quality especially the devices from Nokia are unparalleled.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The Google layer is just a part of the system. The linux foundation is really what has saved time. It would have taken them years because they can even start the android but if they did the full stack in house.

Go to a shop and compare a closed OS DECT phone with an android DECT phone both 2015 models. They are still 10 years behind on the closed one. It's like holding a Nokia N95.

Of course WP is a better closed OS, I'm just talking velocity.

If Microsoft select what they should do in house and what they should just take from Open Source, they will be as good as Google in terms of velocity. Then they have to do better than Android of course.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is quite locked down. For example, Facebook can't make a Messenger app where the chatheads popup on your homescreen - because they don't have access. They can do this on Android because they have more access.
It would be nice if Microsoft were a bit more open with the OS though but then again, iOS doesn't have chat heads and look how well it's doing.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Open Access is customer friendly and is the way they should go. Just like my desktop PC, I should be able to install any piece of software someone writes for the OS. Putting a giant gate between the developers and the customers with a bouncer checking to see if your name is on the list is exactly why I'm getting rid of my iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney