12-11-2015 12:41 PM
97 1234
tools
    I bet they increase the storage in the future, as the cost come down.
    Huh? Didn't they just do the opposite?
    11-03-2015 10:46 AM
    Simple math honestly. Amazon Glacier is $.007/GB or or $7.168/month for storage . Add in bandwidth costs and it's a bit more expensive. Plus you don't get Office or anything that syncs for you.
    11-03-2015 10:47 AM
    Unlimited photo backup on Google for free, which is what takes up the majority of the space for most average users. 15GB is 3x the amount of free storage that will be offered on OneDrive. That's significant for many people. What's next--charging for Outlook.com?
    Yes, but Google limits the resolution of photos and videos.

In general, Google has the best free plan. Microsoft has the best paid plan.

Google 1 TB: $9.99
    Office 365 (1 TB and Office apps): $6.99
    11-03-2015 10:48 AM
    Yes, but Google limits the resolution of photos and videos.
    I think you get unlimited storage of photos with resolutions up to 16mp. That is plenty for 99% of the public.
    11-03-2015 11:02 AM
    I really hope they reverse or alter this decision. Why not just use more ad revenue from the OneDrive apps? I fear this is going to do massive damage to the brand.
    jmshub and xandros9 like this.
    11-03-2015 11:11 AM
    Unlimited photo backup on Google for free, which is what takes up the majority of the space for most average users. 15GB is 3x the amount of free storage that will be offered on OneDrive. That's significant for many people. What's next--charging for Outlook.com?
    Unlimited photo backup on Google Drive is only free if one does not choose full resolution backup.
    aximtreo, libra89, ajj3085 and 1 others like this.
    11-03-2015 01:12 PM
    Most consumers don't understand the great "bait and switch" of "cloud computing": devices / OSes by default offer everyone 10s of gigabytes of free storage, so they put all their family photos etc. onto the cloud and get accustomed to having access via cloud-based servers... then SURPRISE: reduction of storage capacity and introduction of fees.

This is why you don't want to get "addicted" to cloud services.

Get a decent sized SD card in your mobile device, encrypt it, back it up, carry the device with you and vee-ola: better than cloud (but not as good as BlackBerry "Remote File Access" which lets you securely access terabytes of data off your home network wherever in the world you have an internet connection... but that's something I'd expect Microsoft to do as well, and one of the reasons why when BlackBerry 10 is no longer viable, I've pretty much decided that Windows 10 Mobile is my next mobile device platform.

I have to say, when I was setting up Windows 10 on my nieces old computer, I disabled / hid OneDrive from her eyes, because she doesn't need to start relying on a so-called free service that won't be free when she's got it loaded up with her priceless baby pictures.
    11-03-2015 04:54 PM
    @RyanGermann.

What do you care about "most consumer's"? Don't be concerned with others percieved choices. Thanks for your insight by the by.
    11-03-2015 05:06 PM
    "It seems the only group Microsoft tries to please anymore are their business customers."

Of course, this is stated in an action to complain to Microsoft about not giving away free storage. Why should Microsoft's goal be to pull in people who are saying they should be super-cheap, high-end phones and free cloud storage?

Honestly, is the alternative the high-margin hardware and services at Apple for the Google offerings that are cheaper and often inferior, while basically thriving on personal information mining? The OneDrive thing sucks, but this backlash has gotten out of hand. It's now complaining to Microsoft about every personal problem, ignoring the industry as a whole. Microsoft did what is common, pulling people in with offers, then taking them away later to make money. Giving away enough storage to cover everyone just isn't a sustainable business model.
    ajj3085 and BobLobIaw like this.
    11-03-2015 06:24 PM
    I hadn't caught up to the news yet this morning, and had missed the news. It is a disappointment for OneDrive users. But overall, it still seems like a little bit of an overreaction to call MS anti-consumer over this one flub.
    It hits mobile hard. Even users who don't ever use the space May see the numbers google offers and now compare to ms and buy android with 15 gigs storage, unlimited camera uploads + 5000 songs. when users buy phones they look over the whole package. Onedrive should offer more as an incentive to buy windows phone but now it really doesn't offer anything. People like bigger numbers whether they use them or not. So MS is really screwing the phone users and the platform from gaining more market share with stunts like these.
    11-03-2015 07:24 PM
    Very few ordinary people use Office 365 at home unless they got it for free. It's total overkill for what 99% of consumers need or want at home. Why pay when free office suites do everything needed by this 99%?
    The other problem is that even when you do pay, Microsoft has an annoying habit of overlooking small details that are annoying. One example being no tab functionality in Online Word which even Google Docs has! I thought the idea was to have a fully functioning version of word online, I don't want to have do download software to be able to get full functionality. I understand for advanced features but not for basic stuff.
    11-03-2015 07:54 PM
    Microsoft will realize how badly they up and come back with a tiered approach in a few days. Just you watch. They will not let this fester like the XBox One thing.
    Last edited by jmshub; 11-04-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: language
    11-03-2015 10:12 PM
    Unlimited photo backup on Google Drive is only free if one does not choose full resolution backup.
    The unlimited photo backup resolution for Google Drive is set at 16 megapixels. Only anything above 16 megapixels will count towards your normal quota. 16 megapixels is ample for most smartphone users.
    Krystianpants and dgr_874 like this.
    11-04-2015 01:44 AM
    Of course cheap people is going to whine, but those aren't who pays the bills.
    Microsoft needs to make money and they have to improve the service. Freeloaders are a big burden. Things are going to improve with these changes.
    ajj3085, 920Walker and BobLobIaw like this.
    11-04-2015 05:55 AM
    My wife and I started using office 365 because of the 1 TB of one drive storage per user... Having access to the latest office apps alone just wasn't enough.

Yeah the unlimited storage was nice, but I think 1TB is more than enough for my wife and I know it's enough for me.

I bet they increase the storage in the future, as the cost come down.
    Me and my family (Wife, one daughter and son, I use two accounts for full office on desktop and Surface) and to be brutally honest it was the OneDrive almost as much as Office that swayed me, but like you 1Tb is probably enough, I doubt we use 1g between all 4 people so as long as we carry on with our subscription and normal usage it isn't going to make a scrap of difference.

But as far as I see it the headline of the maniac 75Tb using monster is just the scare tactic that has backfired so badly and either made MS or at least the reporter on here look stupid (Someone does).

And although I am normally a "If you want a good service, you pay for it" sort of person, this decision by MS almost seems to be a direct kick in the teeth aimed at basic WP users who had something and now it's being taken away, yes it may only be a few pennies per month, but there are plenty of free alternatives and the benefits of owning a WP are now so small (Or negative) that having them go to Android and Google is now a reality.

MS have already made OneDrive without placeholders an almost useless product for me, for sharing photos I can use Flickr or the likes and I have just bought a large external network hard drive. Having to have one OneDrive policy on my desktop, a different one on my Surface Pro and again a different one on my HP Stream, just make it a farce.

I was so close to buying the Band 2 this month to complete my MS based system, but along with the current mess that is Skype (Honestly I have sat my wife down twice now to explain Skype and as soon as I say "On this device do this, but on here do this" she just says, "show me when it works"), OneDrive being an almost total write off and a very uncertain future for WP I am now very wary on spending any more with them (And I have spent heavily in the last couple of years). We have a family 365, three music passes, I have bought some films and TV, and then the hardware, Xbox's Ones, Surfaces other stuff and several phones (OK some of them say Nokia)

The biggest problem for me is the future, I still love my 1520 with 10581 on it, my desktop is up to 10576 and mostly it's looking good, but with some of the decisions made by MS and some of the reports on here, I am very much in doubt on what way MS is going and on that basis not sure I want to invest in a new WP next year, I really dislike the opposition, but MS with stuff like this are making it hard not to look at them, and if my phone is non Windows based, my other devices will follow.

Please MS stop throwing spokes in the wheel, its very frustrating, this decision is mainly going to hurt honest and decent WP customers with the knock on effect of seeding doubt in the minds of maybe larger spending customers.

I know the last couple of resets on WP weren't the current boards fault, but this is not the way to win hearts of minds.
    11-04-2015 06:20 AM
    The unlimited photo backup resolution for Google Drive is set at 16 megapixels. Only anything above 16 megapixels will count towards your normal quota. 16 megapixels is ample for most smartphone users.
    Do you have a source for the 16 megapixel allowable? Because according to this Google support page, unlimited photo storage only applies to photos with a resolution of 2048 pixels on the longest edge, which would mean a 4 megapixel limit (2048 X 2048).

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/6093613?hl=en
    920Walker likes this.
    11-04-2015 07:29 AM
    My guess is that the whole thing smells of an incredibly ham-fisted way of trying to force more people to subscribe to Office 365. It was obviously created and pushed by bean counters who have no direct contact with the public and live in their own cloistered world of spreadsheets running on multi-monitored desktop computers. In short, completely out of touch with the real world where someone goes into an AT&T store in the mall and wants a new phone. They look at phone A and it comes with 15GB of free storage, unlimited photo storage, and tons of music storage, plus it runs all the apps you would ever want. Phone W on the other hand only comes with 5GB of free storage, no extra photo or music storage, and all the cool apps are non-existent or not as good. They could care less about Office 365, which is basically useless on their phones anyway, is total overkill for 99% of people, and carries a subscription fee. It's really a no brainer for most people. Remember "mobile first, cloud first." This OneDrive fiasco destroys that strategy.
    11-04-2015 07:36 AM
    Of course cheap people is going to whine, but those aren't who pays the bills.
    Microsoft needs to make money and they have to improve the service. Freeloaders are a big burden. Things are going to improve with these changes.
    Free loaders? MS offered it and people took the offer. In fact, it gave such a good offer it made people move over from other services. So now you have all these people moved over and you press the red button and try to get them to get an office subscription. You buy a phone it's part of what you are getting. I don't think me buying a 500$ phone was free loading. I have purchased many apps too. And again I only used a few hundred megs but it still irks me that they did this as it does not tie in with getting more mobile customers.

Guess they should change the lumia 950xl store page as it still says:

[5] Get 15GB OneDrive storage when you sign-up with a new Microsoft account; get an additional 15GB free the first time you activate camera upload from your Lumia phone using the same Microsoft account. Limit: one 15GB OneDrive sign-up redemption and one 15GB camera upload redemption per Microsoft account. Internet and mobile fees apply.
    11-04-2015 09:07 AM
    Do you have a source for the 16 megapixel allowable? Because according to this Google support page, unlimited photo storage only applies to photos with a resolution of 2048 pixels on the longest edge, which would mean a 4 megapixel limit (2048 X 2048).

I thought i read somewhere that the nexus brand gets full resolution but I may be wrong.
    11-04-2015 09:15 AM
    Free loaders? MS offered it and people took the offer. In fact, it gave such a good offer it made people move over from other services. So now you have all these people moved over and you press the red button and try to get them to get an office subscription. You buy a phone it's part of what you are getting. I don't think me buying a 500$ phone was free loading. I have purchased many apps too. And again I only used a few hundred megs but it still irks me that they did this as it does not tie in with getting more mobile customers.

Guess they should change the lumia 950xl store page as it still says:
    The offer was too good, probably unsustainable. Market conditions change and companies adjust their prices all the time. This whole thing is like a Netflix price increase, everybody is whining.

Users can enjoy their current free storage space for one more year, after that they have to evaluate other options.

Microsoft is still offering the best paid plan. It's amazingly low-priced compared to the other services.
    ajj3085 likes this.
    11-04-2015 09:22 AM

It does seem a bit ambiguous. Here is a document that specifically mentions 16MP as falling under the unlimited free photo storage: Google Photos Help. Expand the FAQ titled "Can I print photos that I back up at High quality?"
    11-04-2015 09:36 AM
    I see a lot of people defending MS here, which is a bit surprising.

While I certainly don't think this is an "anti-consumer" practice, it does feel like they don't care about some of their loyals - in particular, their mobile users. Part of the allure of Windows Phone for me was to have 25 GB to backup my photos (of which I take a lot). Is it wrong for someone to feel upset that this is taken away from them?

In addition, to say that this is due to some abusers of the unlimited plan but then alter the non-unlimited plan feels underhanded. If the offenders are to the unlimited plan, then amend/drop the unlimited plan.
    Krystianpants and ajj3085 like this.
    11-04-2015 10:35 AM
    It does seem a bit ambiguous. Here is a document that specifically mentions 16MP as falling under the unlimited free photo storage: Google Photos Help. Expand the FAQ titled "Can I print photos that I back up at High quality?"
    Thanks, this definitely contradicts the link I found. (But the link in my post was what came up when I searched for 'photos' in the Google Drive help. Not the first time a company has contradictory information posted.)

However, reading your link, I don't think their free storage will do what I want. The free storage only applies to photos backed up at "high quality" settings, which appears to use a lossy compression algorithm. "Most" photos will "essentially" look the same according to the FAQ. (Sounds analogous to having lossless audio tracks converted to MP3 format when moved to the cloud.) If you want to archive original quality photos, regardless of resolution, it looks like it counts against the Google Drive storage.
    11-04-2015 11:38 AM
    I've read a couple of accounts about people who've looked at the size of their photo image file before it went up to Google Drive and then when they've downloaded it to their PC, has shrunk. Not sure what the resolution was of these images before they went up was however.
    11-04-2015 11:55 AM
    It hits mobile hard. Even users who don't ever use the space May see the numbers google offers and now compare to ms and buy android with 15 gigs storage, unlimited camera uploads + 5000 songs. when users buy phones they look over the whole package. Onedrive should offer more as an incentive to buy windows phone but now it really doesn't offer anything. People like bigger numbers whether they use them or not. So MS is really screwing the phone users and the platform from gaining more market share with stunts like these.
    I agree. Cutting free photo storage for Windows Mobile users doesn't make sense on a struggling OS. Microsoft seems focused on promoting Microsoft 365 at the unnecessary expense of Windows Mobile. I understand charging heavy OneDrive users but if Microsoft is truly behind Windows Mobile they should give active users free storage that is beyond what competitors are offering; if Google is giving 15GB free then active Windows Mobile users should get 30GB, without photo size restrictions. Also the story that a small number of users were using huge amounts of storage therefore the average consumers storage must be reduced sounds disingenuous. Microsoft should have just said to remain competitive they are aligning the fee scale of their superior product with the fees of similar providers.
    Last edited by GSOgymrat; 11-04-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    11-04-2015 01:06 PM
97 1234