Microsoft and their anti-consumer practices

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Just silly. Absolutely silly. They have been anything but anti-consumer over the past few years. You know what I loathe most about the new Microsoft as of late? Its customers. That we support the same platform and or ecosystem, must mean we have something in common. That scares me because people are whine so dang much and are not happy about anything. You could be offered free money and you'd complain about how much or the denomination tendered.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Its customers. That we support the same platform and or ecosystem, must mean we have something in common. That scares me because people are whine so dang much and are not happy about anything. You could be offered free money and you'd complain about how much or the denomination tendered.

Here one thing that is prevalent on this forum that I do not understand. Why do Microsoft fans think it has to be all or none? It is as simple as can be nowadays to mix and match. I do not support Microsoft, I do not support Apple, and I do not support Google, at least not support them in the way I think you mean it. I use Windows, OS X, Android, Chrome OS, Linux, iOS, and WP. I have an HP laptop, a Macbook, and a Chromebook. I use Lumia, Nexus, iPhone, and iPad devices. I use OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox. I use Office and Google Docs. I use Cortana, Google Now, and Siri.

The so called cloud makes integration automatic, even between ecosystems. I do not suffer from fragmentation, and I have more features available to me than anyone who narrows it down to one ecosystem. I do of course have my primary choice for each department, but the others are available to step in if needed.

In short, there is little to no reason to be all in with, or "support", one of the big three. Pick and choose what works for you.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Manage the NAS? You plug it and set it up. To Back it up, you simply add a 2nd hard drive (or more depending on how many TBs you need.) No need to rinse and repeat.

I have a nas. It doesn't work like that. Sometimes it disappears, requiring a reboot. A drive can fail, requiring replacement. And a single disk is not a backup strategy. Unless you don't care about the data on it.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
MEGA gives 50GB for free and the site is very minimalistic. They have an app on WP, Android, iOS, and even BB10. Additionally there are browser extensions for Firefox. Might be viable depending on who was affected.

https://mega.nz

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Here one thing that is prevalent on this forum that I do not understand. Why do Microsoft fans think it has to be all or none? It is as simple as can be nowadays to mix and match. I do not support Microsoft, I do not support Apple, and I do not support Google, at least not support them in the way I think you mean it. I use Windows, OS X, Android, Chrome OS, Linux, iOS, and WP. I have an HP laptop, a Macbook, and a Chromebook. I use Lumia, Nexus, iPhone, and iPad devices. I use OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox. I use Office and Google Docs. I use Cortana, Google Now, and Siri.

The so called cloud makes integration automatic, even between ecosystems. I do not suffer from fragmentation, and I have more features available to me than anyone who narrows it down to one ecosystem. I do of course have my primary choice for each department, but the others are available to step in if needed.

In short, there is little to no reason to be all in with, or "support", one of the big three. Pick and choose what works for you.

It's a ****** thing. It's easier for some to pick a tribe and go all-in than to pick and choose from different ecosystems, or to even appreciate what others offer.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Do you use over 1TB on your personal cloud? XD

I do, and I don't even have my music and video files up there. I'm a photographer and artist. I don't even have more than the past 2 years of files on OneDrive. The RAW files coming out of a modern full frame camera are big, and so are many PSD files.

YOUR use case is not everyone's use case.

I was surprised and delighted when they announced free unlimited storage even though I wasn't adverse to paying. I was less delighted when Windows 10 totally gimped the OneDrive integration and didn't have the (very useful) OneDrive app. If there was a viable replacement for placeholders coming -- as they promised -- I think we would have heard some details by now. So I'm shopping for an alternate single solution now. (As yes, I also have off-site backups and a personal NAS. Instant cloud backups are a really useful feature to have.)

The Office 365 subscription is a dirt cheap way to get 1TB of storage, but at $240/year for the next 1TB in 200MB increments, color me unimpressed. And even that level of storage is going away in about a month or two.

For a while I was moving in the direction of whole hog MS fangirl rocking my WP, Surface Pro 3, OneDrive reliance and Band. This weaselly backpedalling on OneDrive storage broke a level of trust they have built up, and pissed off exactly the kind of customer they should want to keep.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
For a while I was moving in the direction of whole hog MS fangirl rocking my WP, Surface Pro 3, OneDrive reliance and Band. This weaselly backpedalling on OneDrive storage broke a level of trust they have built up, and pissed off exactly the kind of customer they should want to keep.

Agreed, I have become a whole hog fan boy, along with my family, 365, music subscriptions, purchase of the odd film, and many devices, but as mentioned although this didn't directly affect me or my family (All have 1TB and none of us using a fraction of that), it has put a massive doubt in my mind as to how my relationship with MS should develop.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I do, and I don't even have my music and video files up there. I'm a photographer and artist. I don't even have more than the past 2 years of files on OneDrive. The RAW files coming out of a modern full frame camera are big, and so are many PSD files.

YOUR use case is not everyone's use case.

I was surprised and delighted when they announced free unlimited storage even though I wasn't adverse to paying. I was less delighted when Windows 10 totally gimped the OneDrive integration and didn't have the (very useful) OneDrive app. If there was a viable replacement for placeholders coming -- as they promised -- I think we would have heard some details by now. So I'm shopping for an alternate single solution now. (As yes, I also have off-site backups and a personal NAS. Instant cloud backups are a really useful feature to have.)

The Office 365 subscription is a dirt cheap way to get 1TB of storage, but at $240/year for the next 1TB in 200MB increments, color me unimpressed. And even that level of storage is going away in about a month or two.

Microsoft doesn't expect anyone to use their 1TB, neither does any other cloud service provider. "Unlimited Storage" was never unlimited as it was subjected to ambiguous terms like "reasonable use". OneDrive was better before Windows 10 reared its ugly head, but the changes only reflect what I have already mentioned -- Microsoft doesn't want you capping your storage limit.

The default settings of WP8 were not to upload full quality photos and videos, rather "good" quality was the default. 5MP photos and 720p. That's a hint that your usage scenario is a boundary case. Azure growth is high, which could have been a reason for the sudden policy change.

Sorry that you have to shop around, Microsoft should consider different usage scenarios. Since you have a NAS you could easily setup a ftp/(ssh) stfp server. Duplicity is a decent open source solution to backup compressed/encrypted files to your NAS.

Edit: I'm all for reason, my intentions are not to defend Microsoft. FWIW I have switched my phone OnePlus X, my cloud provider to Mega, and have downgraded my Windows partition to Windows 8.1. Have gotten rid of my Xbox and canceled my Music subscription after charging me without permission (and refusing to refund me). Wouldn't even consider the confirmation emails/screenshots... Skype? Dropped that too. WhatsApp works just as well for my purposes and isn't littered with ads. It is apparent there are droves of people who continue to use these services.
You're welcome to vent, but don't take your frustrations out on me ;)))

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium