Mobile first, cloud 'second'....

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Satya's mantra seems a bit at odds with the actions of the company hes heading, although if he secretly omitted the word 'destroyed' at the begining then it makes sense.

I have 1.6TB of OneDrive, its taken a LONG time to upload stuff and im soo pissed at this careless decision with a hollow excuse. If some are taking the **** by using 75TB of storage, then...PENALISE THEM..not EVERYONE!!!!!!!...set a cap of 10TB and job done. There is more to this than thay are letting on.

Anyhow im exploring solutions to make my own cloud, whats better, Synology NAS or OwnCloud?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Owcloud works well. If course your server side upload speed will be your biggest issue most likely.

You could use one of the many other methods for getting free OneDrive space too. I have over 1.5 TB on OneDrive that is all free, still there and not affected by this.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What are you storing that is using 1.6TB? Seriously I'm really interested to know?

1000 films, my FLAC music collection is 500GB, business documents, videos. Ive also gone completely paperless and have 10,000 books and online courses that take up around 300gb. Images are 200gbish although im getting into photography and large RAW files wil EASILY take up 2TB+

With the proliferation of 4K content due to expand, and MS pushing cloud storage im dumbfounded by this decision.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean?

Are you thinking its the fault of people uploading films? I have around 1TB of films whicj is nothing. MS have accused people of 75TB, and its not even tru. The people abusing the system are education institutions who are all uploading masses of data and sharing it with students, ie videoed lectures.

And lets say that is what happened, so what? they can use 100000TB it is still irrelevant as Microsoft SOLD a service as 'unlimited' which means unlimited. They can very easily restict those abusing the system, they chose not to and instead penalise everyone. Doesnt make any sense. Anyways im done with Onedrive.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
So lets do a little math here... The absolute cheapest storage out there I can think of is Amazon Glacier at $.007/GB. Your collection of 1000 films (most of which probably are pirated) and your other stuff would be $11.4688 per month on Amazon Glacier for storage alone. When you add in bandwidth costs for downloading items, you're looking at $15+ month, without all the automatic syncing that OneDrive gives you.

Dropbox is $9.99/month for 1TB of storage, without getting office.

Google Drive is also $9.99/month, without getting office.

TLDR, look at alternatives and realize you were getting a too good to be true deal. Suck it up and deal with it.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So lets do a little math here... The absolute cheapest storage out there I can think of is Amazon Glacier at $.007/GB. Your collection of 1000 films (most of which probably are pirated) and your other stuff would be $11.4688 per month on Amazon Glacier for storage alone. When you add in bandwidth costs for downloading items, you're looking at $15+ month, without all the automatic syncing that OneDrive gives you.

Dropbox is $9.99/month for 1TB of storage, without getting office.

Google Drive is also $9.99/month, without getting office.

TLDR, look at alternatives and realize you were getting a too good to be true deal. Suck it up and deal with it.

WHy the hate? lol.... Im assuming you dont 'own' many films to accuse people of pirating. I dont pirate, I run a large business (Microsoft is actually a customer of ours) and 1000 films are the ones ive copied from the original DVD's. I own several thousand more and the time it took to upload doesnt make it worth while. Funny how those whom this does not affect seem to scream a lot. Google? You must be kidding, I wouldnt touch ANY of thier services, none. Dropbox is bad. As stated abouve, the solution is to create your own cloud which is what im going to do. In fact I will pay someone to copy all my dvd's and will uplaod the whole lot to my own cloud, 100TB here i come!

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
WHy the hate? lol.... Im assuming you dont 'own' many films to accuse people of pirating. I dont pirate, I run a large business (Microsoft is actually a customer of ours) and 1000 films are the ones ive copied from the original DVD's. I own several thousand more and the time it took to upload doesnt make it worth while. Funny how those whom this does not affect seem to scream a lot. Google? You must be kidding, I wouldnt touch ANY of thier services, none. Dropbox is bad. As stated abouve, the solution is to create your own cloud which is what im going to do. In fact I will pay someone to copy all my dvd's and will uplaod the whole lot to my own cloud, 100TB here i come!

My bad, I assumed someone using a personal Office 365 account was a pirate if they have that many movies. Not a business. You should be using OneDrive for business, which they haven't announced that they're changing. A personal office 365 account was never meant to run businesses.

You will quickly find running a personal or business cloud is much more expensive than using any of the services out there.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
WHy the hate? lol.... Im assuming you dont 'own' many films to accuse people of pirating. I dont pirate, I run a large business (Microsoft is actually a customer of ours) and 1000 films are the ones ive copied from the original DVD's. I own several thousand more and the time it took to upload doesnt make it worth while. Funny how those whom this does not affect seem to scream a lot.

No point arguing, you know this is WinfanboyCentral where Microsoft can do no wrong, right? :straight:

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
No point arguing, you know this is WinfanboyCentral where Microsoft can do no wrong, right? :straight:

They can absolutely do wrong. But I also know what storage actually costs and what setting up a cloud costs. The bottom line is this was a PR mistake and they'll suffer for it, but in reality it's still a really good service.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Have you been around for the past 3-4 months? Considering your post, i assume not.
Microsoft can, and has done a bad things and still is.
I bought my 640 because of one year free Office365 and 30GB of OneDrive storage (or somewhere around), and guess what, Office not supported in my country, and i'm in god damn Europe.
As i said, they do make mistakes, and no one is justifying.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, regardless of how much space any individual uses be it 2TB or 200TB - Microsoft welcomed everyone a year ago stating unlimited. Now they use a silly excuse to pull back. Is it a PR stunt gone wrong? well it certainly is wrong as of today's announcement. They have taken a gun and shot themselves in the foot. I really hoped these silly mistakes were behind Microsoft. As for costs well Microsoft wrote off a Billion dollars of stock with the Surface, they have VAST amounts of cash and reserves to keep them in business for many years if they stopped selling everything tomorrow. Yes I have Onedrive for Business which is same as Onedrive Personal in name only. I share soo many different files with different people across different business's that its easier to use one system. Anyhow its about time I created own cloud for the company, this is the push for me to get it done I guess.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thing is, regardless of how much space any individual uses be it 2TB or 200TB - Microsoft welcomed everyone a year ago stating unlimited. Now they use a silly excuse to pull back. Is it a PR stunt gone wrong? well it certainly is wrong as of today's announcement. They have taken a gun and shot themselves in the foot. I really hoped these silly mistakes were behind Microsoft. As for costs well Microsoft wrote off a Billion dollars of stock with the Surface, they have VAST amounts of cash and reserves to keep them in business for many years if they stopped selling everything tomorrow. Yes I have Onedrive for Business which is same as Onedrive Personal in name only. I share soo many different files with different people across different business's that its easier to use one system. Anyhow its about time I created own cloud for the company, this is the push for me to get it done I guess.

In the long run it's probably cheaper for them to lose their customers now and make money on the $1.99/month consumer and the $9.99/month office 365 deal than to keeping supporting an unsustainable and costly promise.

Is it silly and dumb that they didn't realize this? Yes. Will most people notice? No. People are just starting to use OneDrive in mass and whatever they lose in users, they'll probably gain back because just with normal consumer growth.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
In the long run it's probably cheaper for them to lose their customers now and make money on the $1.99/month consumer and the $9.99/month office 365 deal than to keeping supporting an unsustainable and costly promise.

Is it silly and dumb that they didn't realize this? Yes. Will most people notice? No. People are just starting to use OneDrive in mass and whatever they lose in users, they'll probably gain back because just with normal consumer growth.

They're making their fans really angry. Fans bring more customers. See the problem?

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
So all of this stuff ties into Windows 10. When you get a new Windows 10 machine you're given a voucher for 100gb of free storage on top of the 5GB you already get for free. Most people don't even realize they have it and won't until they upgrade or purchase new machines. In the long run they'll end up getting more people into the service as more and more people adopt Windows 10.

Windows 10 adoption isn't really a question as it will happen eventually. There are enough people out there that haven't upgraded or don't know or care about the change to offset the amount of bad PR and lost users they'll get from this decision.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Its ill timed and badly executed (recurring pattern i think) If they made a mistake...admit it we would understand...not the BS they are shovelling.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. They could have just said, in order to maintain and further upgrade our service we are doing x,y, and z instead of bringing up the 75TB example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo