Lumia Pro/Surface Phone

vivekgiri_7

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Let's see which one will gonna real..
I believe, it will come!
Till then choice is yours either Lumia Pro or Surface Phone.
<< Waiting Room >>

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
"will gonna real"

I guess we'll know which one will gonna real sometime next year, so this will gonna real a long wait

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you are into Windows phones then you are no stranger to waiting. The question has become how long can Microsoft survive using this tactics. They have worn thin their welcome in a lot of households.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I hope it comes with a physical keyboard, or I am staying with my BlackBerry Q10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hope it comes with a physical keyboard, or I am staying with my BlackBerry Q10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10
That sounds like a tall order. I can't remember the last Lumia that had one...or has there ever been one? (Someone help me out?)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I want a physical keyboard and a full sliding tilting screen for ease of viewing. Maybe a "surface" type kickstand. The physical keyboard on my HTC TouchPro 2 was so useful for "creating" and "editing" detailed documents that I wore the letters off some of the keys! Real productivity/work. Fond memories.
I like the Windows Phone keyboard with all it's features, but I wish I could have a full screen showing the text of what I'm writing.

Maybe continuum will fill this need for me?

Best wishes.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a tall order. I can't remember the last Lumia that had one...or has there ever been one? (Someone help me out?)

No Lumia ever had a keyboard on the planet.

The LG Quantum and Dell Venue Pro had keyboards, off the top of my head.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I want a physical keyboard and a full sliding tilting screen for ease of viewing. Maybe a "surface" type kickstand. The physical keyboard on my HTC TouchPro 2 was so useful for "creating" and "editing" detailed documents that I wore the letters off some of the keys! Real productivity/work. Fond memories.
I like the Windows Phone keyboard with all it's features, but I wish I could have a full screen showing the text of what I'm writing.

Maybe continuum will fill this need for me?

Best wishes.

I don't see this happening. Blackberry just released the Priv, which matches these features, and I have read generally bad reviews. Particularly, the keyboard and slider. When smartphones first really got popular, I thought I had to have a hardware keyboard, but I think software keyboards are really good these days, and keyboards will be increasingly niche.

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't see this happening. Blackberry just released the Priv, which matches these features, and I have read generally bad reviews. Particularly, the keyboard and slider. When smartphones first really got popular, I thought I had to have a hardware keyboard, but I think software keyboards are really good these days, and keyboards will be increasingly niche.

Strange. I've read generally good reviews. I have one and typing on the physical keyboard right now. This phone is just brilliant. Best of BlackBerry and android together.

It's a winner and very worthy phone based on most of the reviews out there I.e android central, verge, wsj and loads more other popular sites. I know there are sites that gave it bad reviews but truth be told... The general feeling about the Priv is that BlackBerry might have a winner on thee hands.

To say the reviews are generally bad is rather not true.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Strange. I've read generally good reviews. I have one and typing on the physical keyboard right now. This phone is just brilliant. Best of BlackBerry and android together.

It's a winner and very worthy phone based on most of the reviews out there I.e android central, verge, wsj and loads more other popular sites. I know there are sites that gave it bad reviews but truth be told... The general feeling about the Priv is that BlackBerry might have a winner on thee hands.

To say the reviews are generally bad is rather not true.

Ok, I didn't seek out reviews of this phone, it may have been unfair to say it received generally poor reviews. But the one that I did read in it's entirety is the Ars Technica review, and it wasn't kind on the phone. And the main things that it pointed out were that the hardware keyboard is now much smaller than the software keyboard on my 6" 1520, or even on a 5ish inch phone.

I stand by my statement that I think hardware keyboards are niche and will continue to be. A slider and physical keyboard adds complexity and size to a phone. A standard smartphone without moving parts can be more compact, and all that room devoted to sliding mechanism and keyboard can become battery instead.

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I didn't seek out reviews of this phone, it may have been unfair to say it received generally poor reviews. But the one that I did read in it's entirety is the Ars Technica review, and it wasn't kind on the phone. And the main things that it pointed out were that the hardware keyboard is now much smaller than the software keyboard on my 6" 1520, or even on a 5ish inch phone.

I stand by my statement that I think hardware keyboards are niche and will continue to be. A slider and physical keyboard adds complexity and size to a phone. A standard smartphone without moving parts can be more compact, and all that room devoted to sliding mechanism and keyboard can become battery instead.

I hear you mate but if we are gonna stick to the bare facts.. The Priv is very slim despite the pkb. Funny enough.. It has a battery bigger than most phones that are similar size or smaller. Just look at most other phones I.e. the iphones and others and very few top the 3410mah battery BlackBerry managed to put in. You have the nexus 6P and a host of others but I doubt they're much slimmer than the Priv.

You're right tho the pkb is smaller than even it's on vkb and it takes getting used to. Especially for someone like me that came from the Passport. For now I tend to use the vkb more than the pkb but in regards to accuracy.. I'm much better on the pkb.

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
The only good review of the priv I've seen was by TheRegister. Everyone else pretty much hated it.

Well there's loads more. Check the two on your sister site android central, crackberry, techno buffalo, wsj, verge etc etc.. There are loads of reviews and first impressions of positive reviews. The ratio is probably 80/20 for positive to negative.

It's a good phone. In my opinion it's a brilliant phone.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
No matter what happens the phone is too late to make much of a impact. It may save them from going under but trying to sell phones with two different OSs is just not going to work. Can you imagine their app store.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

To be fair, the smaller size of the keyboard is not necessarily a bad thing. It means that it is easier to type with one hand. People with BlackBerry Passport phones would know that they cannot type with one hand pretty much.

Also, each keys on a BlackBerry physical keyboard has ridges that you can feel to help you make out what letter you are typing. It is helpful when you cannot look at the phone at all but still want to type (walking, taking with someone, taking notes by copying, etc)
Your fingers can glide over the ridges so that you can type exactly what you want without having to rely on auto correct.
People type without looking on their computer keyboards. I do not know why they settle with typing by looking at the keyboard on their phones.

Also, tech reviewers are kind of getting bored with phones lately with all of them being slabs of glass, no matter the manufacturer. It has also affected sales as smartphone sales growth has been halted.

I think manufacturers need to experiment with new forms to innovate.

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
No matter what happens the phone is too late to make much of a impact. It may save them from going under but trying to sell phones with two different OSs is just not going to work. Can you imagine their app store.

I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before. Like for the last five years or so.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No Lumia ever had a keyboard on the planet.

The LG Quantum and Dell Venue Pro had keyboards, off the top of my head.

that would be right, the quantum (or c900) is my only windows phone, still using it for windows phone 7.8,
and the music player tied to zune..

it's been 3 years now, and i just bought a replacement one a couple of months back, the first one still works
but had issues with the SIM, now it's a media player, browser, etc.

still hoping that one of those bluetooth slider cases will work with the 950xl, possibly for some similar experience.

if it does, i'll look into upgrading.

later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs