Qualcomm wants to turn all types of phones into computers with its new hub.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm: 11ad wireless docks due 2015 for Snapdragon 820 - SlashGear

Like continuum, but it's a wireless dock that's set to be introduced at CES in Jan 2016. Qualcomm says there's already sufficient manufacturer interest the products.

Also, and this is a completely different topic, I learned that Sony had already been running a heatpipe solution in their Xperia Z3+ to cool their SD810 down,(like the 950 XL) and it was still overheating badly. Their new Z5 is actually running two heatpipes. This makes me a bit concerned about how the 950 XL is going to handle thermal throttling.

Sony Xperia Z5 Snapdragon 810 chip avoids overheating using ?dual-pipe? method | 9to5Google

Xperia Z3+
jKFnDSi.jpg

Xperia Z5
R2vMWGZ.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Heat pipes are part of the solution, if is still relying the just the phone case to dissipate heat then no amount of heat pipes will help.

If the 950 XL is using similar tech to the surface which uses a separate chamber to cool down the heat then that is better solution as it is not solely relying on the phone case to dissipate heat.

Never the less we will need to see a proper tear down before any judgements can be made how effectively the 950 XL will handle the 810 chip.

In regards to the Qualcomm dock, this hopefully spurs on development for Universal Apps :).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is one of those things were only time will tell. I'm very curious to see how the heat thing pans out in real world usage.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I see, it appears those videos have been removed. It was posted in October right?

Unless there is another article I've missed?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There was a complete 950 XL teardown posted on WMPoweruser, and the cooling solution was a single heatpipe, like the Xperia Z3+

In fairness, the 950 XL does indeed look like the heatpipe in the Xperia Z3+, however, they add liquid inside the pipe which greatly increases the amount of heat that can be dissipated. Microsoft took this approach because the plain air heat pipe solution wasn't working. Adding a coolant liquid can greatly enhance the productivity of a heat pipe.

Will it work effectively? Only time will tell for sure, but I'm quite sure it will fair better than the Z3+.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
One thing to remember though is that Xperia's uses a glass back which traps heat and is a bad conductor of heat. Sony's choice of material already puts them at a handicap. The 950 with its polycarbonate construction won't have this issue.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
In fairness, the 950 XL does indeed look like the heatpipe in the Xperia Z3+, however, they add liquid inside the pipe which greatly increases the amount of heat that can be dissipated. Microsoft took this approach because the plain air heat pipe solution wasn't working. Adding a coolant liquid can greatly enhance the productivity of a heat pipe.

Will it work effectively? Only time will tell for sure, but I'm quite sure it will fair better than the Z3+.

All heat pipes have liquid in them. They don't make heat pipes with "air" in them.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The OnePlus 2 uses plastic and 810 v2.1 and there's much less reports of overheating and runs benchmarks just fine, and that phone doesn't even have a heat pipe. So it's probably quite safe to say that Sony's design choice to use a glass back greatly negated the effects of those heat pipes (now imagine if it doesn't have those heat pipe...). Whereas MS design choice to use both a heat pipe and not an insulating material should actually have the desired effect..

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The OnePlus 2 uses plastic and 810 v2.1 and there's much less reports of overheating and runs benchmarks just fine, and that phone doesn't even have a heat pipe. So it's probably quite safe to say that Sony's design choice to use a glass back greatly negated the effects of those heat pipes (now imagine if it doesn't have those heat pipe...). Whereas MS design choice to use both a heat pipe and not an insulating material should actually have the desired effect..

They factory underclocked SOC in the OnePlus 2 to keep it from throttling. Basically, the OnePlus 2 come pre-throttled. :eck:

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
They factory underclocked SOC in the OnePlus 2 to keep it from throttling. Basically, the OnePlus 2 come pre-throttled. :eck:

They used no special cooling so they throttled it, yet in benchmark it still performed quite respectably. All the more reason to think that MS' liquid cooling, sensible choice of material plus the latest revision of the 810 should do better than Sony's old attempt which uses an old version of the chip and an insulator as the case of the phone. Basically it's safe to say Sony went too far to the form when designing their wears - and this is coming from a person who has multiple Xperia devices and constantly find they really don't get everything right when in comes to sensible design decisions.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
All heat pipes have liquid in them. They don't make heat pipes with "air" in them.

Okay, Visa Declined. That post got me riled up. I was about to lambaste you with, "Oh, yes they do you so-and-so" and all that, but decided, "Hmm. I suppose the information I had gotten before could be wrong. I better do some more research." ;)

I have learned a great deal about heat pipes today. You can learn quite a bit by starting here. It wasn't my only source of research, but it was a great starting point.

You are right, and I stand corrected.

One thing I have learned is that the combination of metal/liquid in a heat pipe has to be tuned properly to the particular application. If the combination is wrong by just a little bit, then it will cease to be effective and basically end up with the effectiveness of the heat transfer across the plain metal pipe without the benefit of the liquid inside to assist. In the case of copper/water, this can cause a 1/80th reduction in effectiveness.

Judging from the fact that the Xperia Z3+ continued to overheat just like every other 810 out there shows that they may not have found the proper tuning balance for their heat pipe, and thus was not successful.

It IS possible to find the right balance, as has been shown in numerous applications of this type, however, whether or not Microsoft has been able to tune the cooling system in the Lumia 950XL properly to avoid the issue will only be seen when these are out in mass production and in the hands of consumers.

Microsoft should already know whether or not it is working, but like all major corporations, you really can't just take their word for it that something will work. You should see for yourself. We will see when it comes to market at last.

Will I guarantee it will work? No. I didn't design it, so that's not my place. I do think that Microsoft can learn from the mistakes of the Z3, and I think they can improve upon it. The full improvement may not be seen for several iterations as they continue to fine tune it on future products.

This fine tuning will become increasingly important over the next few years as these SoCs become more powerful and empower people to do more, as Qualcomm is apparently encouraging people to do more with their products just as Microsoft wants them to do.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
From what I remember one of the hands on review's from the hardware event said the 950XL got warm but not remotely close to what would be considered overheating...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss