Microsoft's Mobile Marketing is basically non-existent

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think with there upcoming W10 mobile update and new Lumia flagship phones not what they had intended them to be and all, it shouldn't have stopped them from at least showing an effort to marketing them.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
They, over the years, have gotten used to being in a position where they did not have to worry about marketing. Every one used Windows so they did not have to market anything. Those days are gone but they don't know how to market so the situation does not change. The people at the head of Microsoft are a still old time Microsoft people so why would they do anything different.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
When you've got crappy app situation like no Google apps, Chase Bank, no Starbucks, no Mint, etc... what's the point in marketing the camera or Hello?

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
When you've got crappy app situation like no Google apps, Chase Bank, no Starbucks, no Mint, etc... what's the point in marketing the camera or Hello?

The first iPhone had no 3rd-party apps at all, but Apple still bothered to advertise it. It seems to me that the no-apps excuse is just that, an excuse.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The first iPhone had no 3rd-party apps at all, but Apple still bothered to advertise it. It seems to me that the no-apps excuse is just that, an excuse.

You cannot compare it to that since when the first IPhone came out, the competition did not have a proper app store either (maybe other than Symbian). In that case, the competition is a lot tougher now, and people have higher expectations.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
You cannot compare it to that since when the first IPhone came out, the competition did not have a proper app store either (maybe other than Symbian). In that case, the competition is a lot tougher now, and people have higher expectations.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I compare it to the launch of the iPhone because Apple didn't let any deficiencies get in the way of marketing the device the way they saw fit, regardless of what the competition had. They did what they sought out to do, which was to let people know it existed and what it can do. There's no reason why Microsoft can't do the same, regardless of the app situation. Every time a thread like this pops up, I ask the question: how can they expect people to buy their phones if they don't let people know they exist?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

when you have an iphone with no lumia creative studio or swipe keyboard or refocus or cinemagraph or opera mini or manual camera controls, what's the point of getting an iphone?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
With only 14% of the market, and Android with 80% I would say Android is what Microsoft should emulate not IOS. There will come a time when Smartphones are not the THING anymore. When that time comes, and it will, the IPhone will not matter.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its 2015 now and basically since the launch of WP back in 2010 Microsoft has failed at every turn to market their mobile platform effectively. I don't think there can be any doubt about that so whatever the state of the iphone at any time since its existence, apps or no apps is irrelevant and doesn't excuse the utter incompetence Microsoft has shown with this platform.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
With only 14% of the market, and Android with 80% I would say Android is what Microsoft should emulate not IOS. There will come a time when Smartphones are not the THING anymore. When that time comes, and it will, the IPhone will not matter.

Android has its market share mostly because of multiple vendors selling devices in the lower and middle segments of the market, not all of it, but most. How many OEMs are willing to manufacture and sell WP/W10 mobile devices? Who will? Who can? HTC? They can barely sell Android phones these days. LG? Samsung? While most of their resources go to their Android phones, they're busy trying to get Tizen going. Sony? Struggling. Moto? Same. Flavor-of-the-month Xiaomi? Maybe, but will they sell them outside of China? Your idea also assumes that market share is the most important metric for success. It's not. I'm sure HTC and other Android OEMs would love it if they could use Android's market share to pay their employees, or to pay for components or advertising, but they can't. Last I checked, stuff like that requires money, which most Android vendors seem to be struggling to make. Me? If I were Nadella, I'd be taking a long look at exactly why Apple is so successful with the iPhone and copy the hell out of them. Emulating loss-leaders only leads to becoming one yourself.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think this 950 would been a great competitive smartphone a year ago, but with the competition moving forward in style and features, it not attractive for $550! It looks old for a flagship phone!

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site

That too a HELLO which you have to hold right in front of ur face so close it awkward in the public and wait for it to log in :p

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
They, over the years, have gotten used to being in a position where they did not have to worry about marketing. Every one used Windows so they did not have to market anything. Those days are gone but they don't know how to market so the situation does not change. The people at the head of Microsoft are a still old time Microsoft people so why would they do anything different.

People do forget that when Windows Phone 7 came out, there was a VERY LARGE, multi-billion dollar, with all the carriers invoved promotion. If you ask semi-techy people if they know about Windows Phone, I would be close to 95% of them would say yes and then it would be about the lack of apps....ugh...

Your not going to see any promotion for Windows 10 phone yet (maybe a hair bit with Windows 10 ads). Why ? Only one carrer really carries it unless you can use a Unlocked version and in the US that is not as common as locked phones.

When all the big boys and the little ones have devices to sell (Windows 10 mobile, NOT Windows phone 8.1) you might see some promition. Major consumer acceptance(past smartphone owners) will not happen till something happens with the App gap.

Still the problem is, and not much Microsoft can do about is what people coming from a Android or iPhone EXPECT and Microsoft cant provide it...

1. Hardware/accessory options - Smartwatches, running devices, other "hardware" very limited options for WP
2. Tap To pay - Sure WM10 supports it but, no providers, Google and Apple have systems in place and for a while.
3. Apps - Sure big ones are there but, local, banks, hardware, games.. I should not even have to explain this problem

Windows Phone is a great OS but, if it didn't suffer from the above problems, I think it would hold a good 20% of the marketplace by now...

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I honestly can't believe some of the delusion I'm reading here. Comparing Windows Phone situation with iPhone in 2007. Really, one product(original iPhone) was revolutionary and didn't even require an app store to sell 1 million units in it's first weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster